• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Wildest animal you've been confronted with?

Rabid skunk?

Backpacking in tuolumne river canyon, Ca. Crazed skunk in camp in middle of night chasing and spraying livestock guardian dogs and tent! Phew!:scratch2:
 
Recent would be running into one of these guys in the backyard:

spacificrattle.jpg


and lifetime would be running into a mountain lion like this guy:

71137640.jpg


he was being kept in a large iron cage in the backyard of a place up in the mountains above Ft. Collins CO. My friend took me up there and we were out in the backyard when I realized I was being watched. You do not want to find one of these guys checking you out, even on the other side of the bars it was spooky.

P.S. this cat looks way healthier too, the one in the cage was huge, on the yellow side, looked the worse for wear, and was clearly only interested in getting out of the cage, and macking on me for lunch.

John
 
Last edited:
Not necessarily in the scariest order, was a Black Widow on my bare foot, a Mississauga Rattler in Ontario and my Wife in Wales, though the last one keeps following me around and looks ready to pounce at the slightest opportunity.:whip:
 
A camel spider in Iraq. If you want to know what a pissed off, mutant tarantula looks like, google that. It took a small sledge hammer to kill one. When I hit it, it felt like a small rat.
 
A camel spider in Iraq. If you want to know what a pissed off, mutant tarantula looks like, google that. It took a small sledge hammer to kill one. When I hit it, it felt like a small rat.

Been there - smashed the buggers with my combat boot.Aggressive arachnids for sure.:yes: Saudi Arabia --Desertshield/Storm and OSW vet.
 
Ice fishing a couple years ago in northern Minnesota. I opened the door of the ice house to toss a crappie in the bucket and there were two eagles helping themselves to my fish. They were so close I could feel the wind from their wings as they flew off.
 
A large raccoon was eating my garbage after arriving home late at night after a music gig back in the 90's. I finished unloading my gear and was settling into bed when I heard the trashcan tip over. I chased it under my car, where it proceeded to hiss at me while I tried to squash it. I finally shovelled its head and scooped it up, after a protracted chase that resembled some bizarre comedy of errors, at 3 in the morning no less. At the time, I lived on the edge of a wooded area, where God-knows-what might wander up into my yard at any given time. I'm glad that episode of my life's over, I don't like sharing my environment with rabid animals.
 
I was bit on the end of my thumb by a buck rabbit. While I was feeding the bugger, he was a mean buck. :tears:

I was bit on the foot by a rabbit that hopped up to me . wasn't feeding him just standing still . glad I had running shoes on . I guess he was not happy that I had just had a leak in what must have been his turf !!
 
I had a mountain lion cross the road about 75' in front of my car. It was crouched and in stealth mode with it's eye fixed on a deer. I was in my car driving about 25mph so I was in no danger. But it sure was exciting seeing such a rare animal in the wild at such a close range. This happened in the Ozark Mountains near Branson, Mo. about 5 years ago.
 
she probably deserved it... :D

Many was the time I wished a moose would bite my sister.

Anyhoo, forgot about the time we saw a bobcat running down the street in our neighborhood in broad daylight. Big yellow feller he was, but not big enough for a mountain lion though I am sure we had those in the area too. There's a nature preserve just across the road, and it has a wildlife route in it that runs from the coast to the mountains.

Used to see deer down in the park next to that too, but that bobcat was the only scary critter we've seen in the area aside from the occasional rattler. Did have a 4-5 foot rat snake out front around that same time, which was ok with me until it decided to take refuge above the rear axle of my Mercedes. Took a hose and a broom handle to persuade him to come out of there, at which point he got relocated in the soon-to-be neighbor's lot across the street (was still brush everywhere & they hadn't cleared the lot for construction yet).

John
 
six foot eastern diamond back sunning it's self near my home. or the buck I nearly ran into near silver city new mexico, it was taller that the truck I was driving!
 
The scariest encounter I have had with a wild animal, was the time my friend I were on our way to go deer hunting about 5:00 A.M. We were traveling down a 2 lane road, going about 55 MPH, when an 11 point Buck decided he wanted to cross the road as we were going by. I saw him come running down off a small hill on the right, and yelled Whoa! as he jumped off the bank and crashed right into the front passenger side window frame where I was sitting, broke off the mirror and caromed off the car and ran into a field on the other side of the road.
I thought for sure he was going to join me in the passenger seat, but luckily the glass didn't break and no one was hurt except for the Buck. We stopped the car and looked for him, but it was too dark to see where he went. We learned later that someone had shot him and that's how we found out it was an 11 point Buck. He was injured and had a messed up leg. I think they said he weighed about 170 lbs.
I never want to see a Buck that close up again! :no:
 
Oh man, I forgot about the killer whales we saw, up in (or rather off of) Alaska, when I was commercial fishing. Early into our trip, maybe the 3rd or 4th day out, the captain called everyone on deck. I was way down below deck, so wasn't real thrilled about coming up, but it was worth the trip. There were about half a dozen Orcas, jumping & putting on a nice little show for us, and I'm guessing they were maybe 50-100 feet ftom the ship, at times. :D I don't know why, but they just seemed cooler to me, than the big cats or bears or anything on land. The funny thing was, it wasn't just a random crossing of paths. They kept pace with us, & kept jumping for us, for a good 15-20 minutes, so I know they were at least as curious about us, as we were of them. :scratch2:
 
Grew up in Arkansas; the usual snakes; rattlers, copperheads(ankle biting bastards, water mocassins(very aggressive!), spiders, scorpions, raccoons, skunks, armadillos, coyotes, wild pigs, mean ass horses, bulls, and one 300 pound tiger.
scariest of all - lunatic stepfather.
 
Back
Top Bottom