• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Windows 7 in 2016 - Bad Idea?

c.coyle

Fighting the Dunning-Kruger effect.
I can get a real good deal on a refurbed Dell PC, but it comes with Windows 7 Pro. Core i5, 4 gigs ram, upgradeable to 8 gigs.

My computer needs are very basic: surfing, word processing, wasting time on AK, playing music, shopping. No gaming, nothing exotic or heavy duty. I need a modest sized hard drive, multiple USB ports, and a CD drive is preferable.

I don't have to have the latest operating system. Is Windows 7 a bad idea in 2016? I'm not afraid of upgrading, but would rather not go through the hassle.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Well - for the amount of people that have upgraded, who have not had issues, it is the best system by far. Well, those updates are the 'security' updates that are important. Don't blame MS if you don't put in the security patches and then get a virus, etc. Not their fault.

The commercial version of Windows 10 IS NOT like that. The IT guys are idiots sometimes. You can turn off sharing, I guess your "IT expert' is none too bright, it is one click and it is done.

I have upgraded to W10 on one machine, and have had zero issues. And you are right, I just turned off sharing and made a few other security tweaks.
 
I would go with windows 7 for now, I use it, with no issues. Sounds like a nice machine. Should be able to handle everything you want to do, without even adding the additional RAM. Just be sure to scan for viruses, and uninstall unnecessary software.

Basic maintenance can keep even a much older machine running smoothly for years.
 
. . . Also, if you do decide to upgrade, check with Dell, they use a lot of proprietary peripherals and may NOT be compatible with Windows 10.

Proprietary peripherals? Can you give me some examples?
 
Or run the Windows 10 upgrade checker.

Printers and scanners, that sort of thing, can be a sore spot. If you have an older printer or scanner, seems some mfgs. aren't too good at providing drivers for newer OSes.
 
Windows 10 is fine. Don't believe all the bad stuff you hear about it. It's faster than Windows 7, has a smaller footprint, and will boot from power on to desktop much quicker. We have it on my i7 gameing rig. My old Dell E6400 laptop and my wifes Surface Pro 3. It works great on all 3 systems. Also +1 to botryis about the issues around keeping it up to date.
 
I tell my clients to go with 7 unless they have a specific reason not to. Many do not like 8 and 10 has some compatibility issues to work out.
 
Also, Microsoft will continue security support for 7 until 2020 (although mainstream support has already ended). Who knows where the computing world will be four years from now?

Happy trails,
Larry B.
 
Windows 10 is just plain creepy. I'm stuck with it at home cuz it came with a new PC but at work we still use Windows 7. Major Fortune 500 type company.
 
I have had great success with Windows 10 and have personally helped dozens of people upgrade. I find that it actually runs better on slower hardware vs 7 or 8.1. Drivers are not really a big deal as in many cases you can successfully use older drivers, going all the way back to Windows Vista (Microsoft's push for 64-bit drivers back then really paid off!). The majority of the negative rumors being spread about Windows 10 are grossly exaggerated or simply not true. Also keep in mind that for 30 days after you upgrade to Windows 10, you are able to go back to your previous OS at any time if you choose - a process that works well and usually takes less than 15 minutes. There is really little reason to not at least try it and judge for yourself.
 
The question is not "7 bad?" but rather "is 10 worse?". The security issues are not so much security with the outside world, but with Microsoft itself sniffing down every search you make, log-in credentials of every network you attach to, etc. The OS is the virus. They have pre-downloaded W10 files to W7 users without consent, changed the Windows update priorities so that some people have been changed over automatically without choice or consent, etc. You have to actively prevent 10 from installing itself.

And the "IT dept. can turn off the snooping" only applies to corporate licenses, not the standard home user license.

I don't allow W10 devices to log on to my network, even as a guest. Google up the horror stories, or look on slashdot, etc.

Remember, if it's free, you're the product.

Chip
 
The i5 should more than meet your needs. I upgraded two Windows 7 units to Windows 10 and prefer 10. Faster and even more intuitive than 7.

Wish my upgrade to El Capitan on my Macbook was a smooth. El Cap does nothing better, but it seems to live off of additional mouse clicks (such as Seagate drive backups).
 
Win7 support will probably outlast your refurbished laptop. Stick with it if you like it.
 
It's creepy that's why. The only thing good about Windows 10 is the pleasure you get learning how to defeat it. I really hate "File Explorer" and the glacial green progress bar and the stupid glib "Working in it ..." message it puts on the screen while it sluggishly counts the files in a directory or sticks its thumb in and out of its ass or whatever the hell it's doing. For ever. Two word review: **** Sandwich.
 
Back
Top Bottom