• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Windows 7 in 2016 - Bad Idea?

They're not further monetizing W10, they're further monetizing you. If it's free, you're the product.
I wonder if the in-OS spamming for W10 will stop after July. Probably not.

Chip
 
They're not further monetizing W10, they're further monetizing you. If it's free, you're the product.
I wonder if the in-OS spamming for W10 will stop after July. Probably not.

Chip

Not sure why that posted twice, or why I can't delete the duplicate.
Maybe Bill Gates is trying to make me look bad. :)
 
Last edited:
Looks like MS is going to double the number of "promoted apps" showing up on Win10's tiles. I suspect ads will be next on your home page, and maybe within applications.
 
I've got Never10 installed. Simpler, and effective until MS decides otherwise. We still have to watch our Win Update Ps & Qs, but a belt and suspenders never hurt anyone, especially when the belt is loaded up with useful hardware and ammo, and as long as recon keeps bringing back reliable intel.

I guess I really was successful in removing that last update KB that was so insistent upon staying. It (and 4 others) had slipped in, unannounced, back in very early 2015 (before I knew to sniff every update ingredient before granting audience). This last one, when I began to tug at it, fought like a knife fight in a phone booth to stay (errors upon roll-back, blue screens, immediate re-installs, hangs during "Rebooting. Do not turn off your computer," etc.). I woke up yesterday, and this ninja KB update ("Get Windows 10 Installer") had been re-released and was trying to sneak back in, via Win Update. It got hidden again.

Nothing like a 3-day ambush, with a mad monkey in the tree above you, throwing feces and pitching a continuous fit. When our guests finally show up to the party, I promise you, the monkey gets it first. (A little ambush humor for those who understand).

Enjoy,
Rich P
 
Last edited:
FOR THOSE WANTING TO TEMPORARILY OR PERMANENTLY DISABLE WIN10 UPDATES:

Lincoln Spector has been writing for PC World for over a decade - I've come to trust him. He discovered a simple free app. that when installed, can block all Win10 nags and upgrades. If you do later decided to permit the Win10 upgrade, the app. will let you reverse the blocking process. I installed it on my Win7 machine and have had no Win10 issues since. The link to this GWX program is in his article - click the link and download/install the GWX (Get Windows 10) control panel:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2998967/windows/how-to-block-the-windows-10-upgrade.html

You need only click two buttons (I circled in yellow)

View attachment 737990

It was that simple and it worked.
Just installed and configured. Thanks for the suggestion.

Previously, I removed the upgrade KB. Then my machine ratted me out to Redmond and they sent it back. The inglorious b's...
 
Last edited:
Customers complain about non-standard UI: X doesn't do what's expected, resulting in undesired upgrades to W10.

What to do, what to do.... Short term, walk back the sleazy click-trap.
Long term: Just remove the X option. Easy!

https://news.slashdot.org/story/16/...e-x-from-windows-10-update-leaving-no-way-out

Another user on the slashdot site remarks: Just reject the license upon reboot. Previous version restored!

So that's good, until they start accepting the ELUA on your behalf.

Chip
 
Last edited:
Hiya,

This is pretty bad

Excerpt::

Microsoft has accidentally leaked the keys to the kingdom, permitting attackers to unlock devices protected by Secure Boot -- and it may not be possible to fully resolve the leak.

The design flaw in the Windows operating system can be used to unlock Windows devices, including smartphones and tablets, which are otherwise protected by Secure Boot in order to run operating systems other than Windows on locked down systems.

This, in turn, allows someone with admin rights or an attacker with physical access to a machine not only to bypass Secure Boot and run any operating system they wish, such as Linux or Android, but also permits the installation and execution of bootkit and rootkits at the deepest level of the device, security researchers MY123 and Slipstream revealed in a blog post on Tuesday.

Full Article::

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-secure-boot-key-debacle-causes-security-panic/

Sigh,

Frannie
 
allows someone with admin rights or an attacker with physical access to a machine
Rule of thumb is, if someone with bad intent has physical access, you're screwed anyway.

Certainly another dumb-ass misstep by Redmond, but nowhere near the debacle that everyone is making it out to be. If it was truly a major meltdown, I'd expect an in-depth story over at Ars.
 
Microsoft debacles are almost commonplace. Commonplace debacles don't draw the viewers/readers like something uncommon and sensationalized do.
 
Microsoft debacles are almost commonplace. Commonplace debacles don't draw the viewers/readers like something uncommon and sensationalized do.
Possibly because many of us have been sitting in front of one MS windows screen or another for 25 years or so and have seen so many doomsday scenarios come and go that we have become, if not jaded, at least in less of a panic over the latest cyber-malady then we once were.
 
Back
Top Bottom