• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Windows 7 in 2016 - Bad Idea?

Windows is always a bad idea.

Tux.png
 
Windows is always a bad idea.

I went Linux Mint / Windows 7 dual boot about three months ago, and I gotta say that I have booted into Windows about twice since. There are still a few Windows programs that Linux doesn't get close to - AxCrypt, Irfan View, EAC, Foobar - but all-in-all the switch has been painless.
 
Since I upgraded to Win 10 my start menu goes MIA for months at a time. I have to do a bunch of work, reinstalling corrupted files to get it back and then within a month or so it stops working. I now do without the damn thing, have most of my program .exe files on the taskbar so don't really need it for most things. Still I wish I never upgraded from 8.1, which contrary to seemingly everyone else, it ran flawlessly. I also ran Vista for years without issue so I really am not a whiner, just think as much effort MS went through to shove the start menu down our throats (v 8.0) and then soften it up in V10 that it would be as robust as a brick shithouse, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Now am holding out for V11..( hopefully they will give that one away too!).
 
Now am holding out for V11..( hopefully they will give that one away too!).

I don't think there will be a '11" as Microsoft is going with the stay at "Windows 10" but update it forever strategy.

Frannie
 
Five systems in the house, plus another five that I support for friends and relatives, all running Win10 now. Oldest is an AMD AM3 setup running a Phenom II x4, newest is an Intel Z170 with an i5-6600K. All are running on at least 8GB of memory, all were wiped and Win10 installed on an empty partition, and all are humming along like clockwork.

Win10 is the best thing MS has released to date. The operator transition from Win7 to Win10 is pretty minimal...if my octogenarian parents can pull it off, anyone can.
 
Five systems in the house, plus another five that I support for friends and relatives, all running Win10 now. Oldest is an AMD AM3 setup running a Phenom II x4, newest is an Intel Z170 with an i5-6600K. All are running on at least 8GB of memory, all were wiped and Win10 installed on an empty partition, and all are humming along like clockwork.

Win10 is the best thing MS has released to date. The operator transition from Win7 to Win10 is pretty minimal...if my octogenarian parents can pull it off, anyone can.

Yep I have it on an old Dell E6400 a MS Surface Pro3 and my gaming rig. All clean installs except the Surface. I also use it at work. Great OS very fast very stable, so much better than W7 and 8. Couldn't ask for anything more.
 
Involuntary telemetry snooping and forced updates are my problem with it. I have not had problems with Windows OS's in general. Strip out the telemetry and make the updates user managed and selectable, and I will be on board.

Enjoy,
Rich P
 
Problem is Apple Google et al are all looking over your shoulder. Updates are a necessary evil. Most of the botnets out there would be a lot smaller if people took a little more care and kept their systems up to date and protected. JM2C
 
Problem is Apple Google et al are all looking over your shoulder. Updates are a necessary evil. Most of the botnets out there would be a lot smaller if people took a little more care and kept their systems up to date and protected. JM2C
Not my shoulders their not. I don't use either one for that reason. I do not knowingly allow snooping on my machine.

As for updates, no updates take place on my machines until I reach a place where breaking my PC is something I am prepared recover from, and I do not have an important deadline coming up. I have been burned several times. Some updates are rejected outright. By the way, no Win10 nagware has been able to infect my machine, and I do regular updates, on MY terms. I have even had updates crash my machine and blow up my ability to get on line and get the correction. There will be no untended, non-vetted, updating taking place on my machines.

No thanks.

Enjoy,
Rich P
 
Last edited:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...0/d0c0ff2c-257e-4f07-bbe4-1d585e4e6cb2?page=1
Here is a 9 page thread on the Microsoft Community forum from Win 10 users who's start menu has died. There are other threads as well. I have been using one MS operating system or another since 1990 and this is the first one that has not functioned the way it was supposed to. While inconvenient, it is isolated to just the start menu and certain other functions on the task bar. The rest of it works OK, and since I paid absolutely nothing for this upgrade I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth I suppose.
 
Problem is Apple Google et al are all looking over your shoulder. Updates are a necessary evil. Most of the botnets out there would be a lot smaller if people took a little more care and kept their systems up to date and protected. JM2C
Well just because Apple and Google do it does not mean Microsoft gets to join the party as well and gets a pass.

Honestly quite a few things are shoved down peoples throats in the name of "Protecting" you from some evil. And in the end those things sometimes end up serving you up to the master.

Botnets are usually due to software that has been pirated and has Trojans inside. (See horse one post above)

This malware infected software exists usually because people are either too cheap to pay for the software or plain don't have the money.

So in the end we have these "Botnets" mainly because the makers of the software charge too much for it or make it too hard to acquire.

Most people infected by these Botnets or victimized by them are just like you and me.

So blaming "End Users" for this by being "Careless" or whatever and then giving the software makers a free run to do what they want is playing into the software makers hands.

Microsoft , Google , Apple have most of you folks right where they want you. Scared , Pointing fingers at each other and looking for someone to "Protect" themselves from this "Evil"

Think for a moment people before you open your city gates up.

Frannie
 
I'm not wealthy by any means but I would have paid money for the win10 upgrade providing they had actual support from a Microsoft tech so that problems I and a lot of others are having could be worked out. A phone number would be nice, or some sort of chat service. But what we are left with it seems, unless I am just not looking in the right place for their support # is going to forum boards, posting the problem and then keep trying a ton of different things, uploading new files, reboot, still no start button... Then if that doesn't work try this then".

Before I allowed this start button problem to completely beat me down, by reading the hundreds of posts on the MS Community board I noticed that there isn't just one or 2 things causing this but a whole plethora of different "solutions" to the same or similar problems. Some seemed to get their menu's back, others not. Some I would swear must have eventually took a baseball bat to their win10 machines. Like I stated above, the first time I fiddled around for the better part of a day going through different suggestions and finally had success, only for it to quit again a month later. No doubt I could probably get the start menu back if I put enough effort into it but most of this stuff is over my head and I tire quickly of it so now I just run it without.

I don't believe I have an infected machine. Neither does the "Microsoft Community" because I am not seeing that possibility raised in the endless threads on this start button issue. (I have not read them all however and new ones pop up daily). I run Norton Security on this machine and am very careful what I download. Maybe something got past me and Norton but why does it only take the start menu away?

I know it isn't simply an update issue, I ran the check this morning and it automatically checked as I was drinking my first cup of coffee. I have the latest update available.
 
Frannie,

Do you have a particular hatred of Microsoft for some reason? Did you used to work at Netscape or Novell?

-D
 
Frannie,

Do you have a particular hatred of Microsoft for some reason? Did you used to work at Netscape or Novell?

-D

I did not just cite Microsoft in my Rant :)

I have a distaste for some Software makers business practices.

Windows 10 is playing follow the "Leaders" is my point.

And those "Leaders" are leading end users into their world so to speak.

And its not all tea and crumpets. It has some Mad Queen in charge.

Frannie
 
BTW - in response to earlier comments, if you are running Windows 10 Professional, you can defer automatic updates:

Setting --> Windows Update --> Advanced Options --> Defer upgrades (checkbox)

Unfortunately, you can't do this in Windows 10 Home.

The vast majority of users are not computer-savvy and don't keep their systems patched regularly, which is why Microsoft is forcing updates (plus, Windows 10 is more Software As A Service compared to previous versions of Windows). That's by and large the way the entire industry is headed, so you may just want to bite the bullet and switch to Ubuntu now.

-D
 
Back
Top Bottom