• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Wood body Grado cartridges ?

Excellent. You’ll have to let us know how they sound when returned!

I was considering using Andy Kim who’s relatively close by me, a few hours North. He seems to enjoy a good reputation as well. Calls his service “Needle Clinic”. I may send him a couple older Grados I have here, a Signature 8mr which also looks like your maid got to it.. and a tan XF3E+. Those should tell me something about his workmanship. I’ll probably ask him to do aluminum cantilevers with nude elliptical tips already on them. Those should sound like the originals on those bodies; they were also nudes.
BTW - If you check out the Orbray (Namiki) website, you’ll see all the cool cantilevers and tips they offer.
Sent you a pm….
 
Sending my original wood body Platinum out for a retip, it's been waiting long enough. Had the Denon DL-301 re-tipped a couple of yrs ago by Joseph Long so sending him some more work.

These were both damaged by the Maidinator about 7yrs ago on her first day, had no idea a house cleaning was $700 lol.

View attachment 2971507
You arevery lucky she did not break the tie wire on the 301 as they are very fragile indeed. I have seen many with broken stylus that also have a broken tie wire.
Hopefully your Grado is bent in front of the solid section. If not the fix will be more complex.
Chris
 
Realized I hadn’t posted about this. I’ve discovered LO Grados are electrically same as High output MC. So your 1MV output Grados will respond very well to SUT’s such as Rothwell Audios’ MC1-H or Ed Clayton SUT. You’re looking for a 1:3-1:5 turn ratio. I’ve tried both and they work a charm.
 
Well the Platinum is on its way to Joseph for some minor surgery, should make the trip in good shape mounted with screws inside a wood box, inside a second box that's inside a third box lol, then insured for $300.

View attachment 2982200

View attachment 2982201

View attachment 2982202

I like it!
Still haven’t listened to my Reference Platinum cartridge...
At least I did get the correct length, 3-48 mounting screws for it. :)

IMG_5862.jpegIMG_5852.jpegIMG_5851.jpegIMG_5848.jpeg


Are you going to to get a nicer cantilever and tip than what it came with?
 
I like it!
Still haven’t listened to my Reference Platinum cartridge...
At least I did get the correct length, 3-48 mounting screws for it. :)

View attachment 2982251View attachment 2982252View attachment 2982253View attachment 2982254


Are you going to to get a nicer cantilever and tip than what it came with?

Same cartridge and one of my favorites, waiting to see what Joseph quotes me as I'm really unsure what table I'll be using this on. My inclination would be the KD-500 / Grace G707 arm but I have several nice Grace cartridges I've been using there.

I already have several nice cartridges sitting idle so really no reason to have the Grado repaired but I just hated seeing it in that condition.
 
Same cartridge and one of my favorites, waiting to see what Joseph quotes me as I'm really unsure what table I'll be using this on. My inclination would be the KD-500 / Grace G707 arm but I have several nice Grace cartridges I've been using there.

I already have several nice cartridges sitting idle so really no reason to have the Grado repaired but I just hated seeing it in that condition.

I know what you mean. I have around 20 cartridges needing a stylus - ‘cause they’re sort of useless without them..
 
Not sure why but it looks like I’m a sucker for these older Grado woodies..
Just bought a “Statement Sonata” to try out. Supposedly new - zero playtime.

IMG_5929.jpegIMG_5930.jpegIMG_5931.jpegIMG_5933.jpeg

Yes, the price was quite right… Cheaper than a good retip!

This one being a SS will be .5mV (low) output and it has the nude tip. I’ll try it with my favorite SUT, loaded with Newcomb TR-91 transformers.

The wood on this is supposed to be “jarrah” which is a more exotic way of saying eucalyptus. Not pretty wood on this example and not the best pictures.. Why show bottom of the wooden box and not the top (?) - but the seller insists it’s never been used.
Mounting screws and instructions / specs sheet included.

IMG_5934.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom