• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

WTF?

HiFi in WYO

The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest.
Sometimes you just have to ask WTF? I gave these house brand Sound Speaker System three ways to a buddy a few years ago. Perfect working condition and they sound very good. Anyhow just before he moved he asked if I wanted them back, saying they stopped working. Imagine my surprise when I found out why. That's paper towels and glue. The second one is what they looked like before. New 12 inch woofers ordered. Jeesh.1541508658930521039106.jpg 15415086779031516718719.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Not much for a magnet on these. They do have some weight to them. Probably okay they'll get new woofers.1541510099135269459678.jpg
 
Last edited:
Not much for a magnet on these. They do have some weight to them. Probably okay they'll get new woofers.View attachment 1324088
Those are alnico magnets. They are not supposed to be big, they have much more magnetism than black ferrite magnets which means they can be smaller and accomplish the same task.

From the look of the basket, as I can't read the magnet, those look like CTS drivers which were common but very good drivers. At least that was a good woofer.
 
Last edited:
I'm guessing these are 8 ohms, but I can't find anywhere that says so. There's some numbers on the magnet. IMG_20181106_101618985.jpg
 
It looks like you should have refoamed the woofers before giving to your buddy. That would have prevented his butcher job. Live and learn.
 
This was a few years ago and they weren't rotten yet. Besides, I really wasn't expecting them back. Oh well.
 
More like weed and alcohol. All the other needs is a new surround. I imagine e this one let go and in their haze someone said, "dude, we can fix this!"
Hey now. let's not blame the weed and alcohol. I've done both, sometimes even together, and I've never done anything like this. My brother does neither and he's used a spray foam to "fix" his woofers.
 
Can probably still fix them and don't need to replace. Though will take a decent bit more effort to remove the excess glue without damaging the cone too much.

BTW, it looks very similar to my Pioneer speakers in the 80s that I "repaired" with strips of masking tape coated with silicone glue (so the tape would stay flexible). For a teenager booming rock music, that did the trick and stayed usable for years afterwards.
 
Ouch.

But to be fair, your "before" photo above clearly shows signs of the surround degrading at that point.....

That's just the other speaker - photo taken yesterday after I pulled them out of storage for the last couple of years. They weren't like that when I gave them away.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom