• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha B-1 Quickie

I am thinking maybe you could find out for us if those C rank SK180s of yours need further matching
In the meantime, "technical" details of my patented heatsinks are somewhere on the first page of this thread, in my response to Bratwurst.
Thank you Pete,

Am waiting for some parts and should be firing up the beast soon.
I have just completed the power supply boards 1&2.

Will let you know how I go
 
Well, the capacitor kit from Clinic is in. I have finished the power supply boards 1&2. A quick test and the-200 volt and +40 are showing up nice and steady on the power supply board #2. Also managed to adjust the 12v, -25 and +25 on power supply board #1. I have a weird issue though. When I turn off the power switch the amp stays on for few seconds. Then turns off. Not sure what to make of it.
I checked the switch and the connection with the UC-1 and found no issues.
 

Attachments

  • 15312DB5-301A-4D8F-9453-91B672890CEF.jpeg
    15312DB5-301A-4D8F-9453-91B672890CEF.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 49
  • FBE004AF-5DAE-40EB-8EB9-313F356D4ECF.jpeg
    FBE004AF-5DAE-40EB-8EB9-313F356D4ECF.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 47
the capacitor kit from Clinic is in.
That main caps kit sure looks nice.:thumbsup:

I have a weird issue though. When I turn off the power switch the amp stays on for few seconds. Then turns off. Not sure what to make of it.
I checked the switch and the connection with the UC-1 and found no issues.

I think you are on the right track with troubleshooting. I would look at the switch and the protection circuit, including that solenoid.

the question I have is how were you able to adjust the voltages if the power turns off so quickly??

FYI, I powered averything up with a DBT and a variac, all the way to the driver boards.
 
That main caps kit sure looks nice.:thumbsup:



I think you are on the right track with troubleshooting. I would look at the switch and the protection circuit, including that solenoid.

the question I have is how were you able to adjust the voltages if the power turns off so quickly??

FYI, I powered averything up with a DBT and a variac, all the way to the driver boards.

I think the power switch may be the culprit.

When I turn the power ON remains on, but when I turn the power OFF just lingers for a couple of seconds before the power cuts off.
The 3rd protection board is in, now the real fun begins...
 
What's taking so long:D
Now I get to ask that question :beatnik:
Well, the protection test went well last night.
Just finished the filter board.
Used 2SC1815 and 2SA1015 to replace the C458 and A763 transistors. Still need to source the relay.
Also replaced some of the ceramic caps with silver mica.


Pondering now on the first drive board.
 

Attachments

  • DE7222D2-0ED7-427C-BD2F-3F4CD84538E7.jpeg
    DE7222D2-0ED7-427C-BD2F-3F4CD84538E7.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 2546A349-8E2C-4C4C-984C-919B5737D951.jpeg
    2546A349-8E2C-4C4C-984C-919B5737D951.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 66
There are 2 types driver boards out there in B-1's, the more common light coloured ones and the rarer dark coloured ones.
Btw, there are at least 4 different B-1 iterations/updates of the rear panel variations I seen so far
 
Last edited:
There are 2 types driver boards out there in B-1's, the more common light coloured ones and the rarer dark coloured ones.
The photo was from late last night and lighting was not ideal.

VintAge is right, there are 2 type of boards and I am using a light one for the filter but dark green for the driver

Here is a better shot of the driver board.

Thank you Pete for your help with the heat sinks
 

Attachments

  • B855C554-956B-414A-A018-0B414D68DD22.jpeg
    B855C554-956B-414A-A018-0B414D68DD22.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 9AFD0ADE-24D7-4169-AC1D-136F28984770.jpeg
    9AFD0ADE-24D7-4169-AC1D-136F28984770.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 41
VintAge is right, there are 2 type of boards and I am using a light one for the filter but dark green for the driver
to me your driver boards looked diferent from eachother. I do not think is the lighting and I am not looking at the filter board...I am looking at two B-1 driver boards.
Just an observation...
driver boards.PNG
 
Last edited:
to me your driver boards looked diferent from eachother. I do not think is the lighting and I am not looking at the filter board...I am looking at two B-1 driver boards.
Just an observation...
View attachment 1092614
Yes, there is 2 types of driver boards in there. I have a pair that is light color and a pair that is dark green one.

Managed to finish the boards late last night and do all the adjustments. Everything looks a ok! Adjusted the bias at 80mV and the DC at 0 volt. This is with the SK180 Tokins.

There were multiple issues with this B-1. Now Have to sort the UC-1 unit. The switch issue has settled in and amp turns on and off normally now but the right meter is not moving. I will remove all the mediocre speaker connectors from the back panel and install a IEC power input. While in there will also get to the couple of the switches on that input board. The body of this B-1 is in pretty bad shape, will most likely do a coat of paint.

Also need to get a new relay for the filter board.
Pete, where did you source yours from? I also seen that a board can be made and so able to install modern replacements
 
Pete, where did you source yours from? I also seen that a board can be made and so able to install modern replacements
I have seen them come up for sale on the fleabay US and Hong Kong. I got mine on fleabay US. They come in yellow or transparent pastic casing.
Replacing with modern components would be a good alternative, if you can get an adaptor board.
 
Back
Top Bottom