• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha B-2 Amp

So aside from the commercialization of the audio market, why did the VFET cease to exist if they sounded (sound!) so wonderful. I've been to the resources at TVK, but can someone out there educate me on the history and demise of the VFET?
 
wajobu said:
So aside from the commercialization of the audio market, why did the VFET cease to exist if they sounded (sound!) so wonderful.
Ah, but aside from commercialization, there is no audio market, practically by definition. We did, however, take a collective stab at the reasons why the VFET quit that market in this thread back in January.
 
Sorry, but I am down to three (3). :D Both of my spares have been sold, along with my spare CX-1000. wajobu is the lucky owner of an EW mod'd B-2 and another AKer in CA bought the second one (and the CX-1000), which will ship to CA via KC to allow EW to work his magic on it. Is a real pleasure to introduce two fellow music lovers to such fine sounding gear. Other than the pleasure of being with my wife, nothing quite matches a good book and listening to excellent reproduction of music on my B-2 centered system. :thmbsp: Well.....sailing comes close. :D
 
As me being on the other side of this big swimming pool called the Atlantic, there might be some power issues and of course transport expenses. So it will properly be cheaper to buy one here in Europe.

On the other hand I need to get my B-2x up and running. But it would be a nice line of amps; B-2, B-2x and M-85 (I also have an M-35 on the way, if I decide to do some surround stuff).

About B-2s testing methods I think I have to settle for my own girlfriend. Test equipment like that can’t really be shipped around, it is much too sensitive :)

Sailing, as being a left over from the old Vikings, I can only agree. There is just something about it that is hard to beat. Off curse we stopped knocking down people and raping the girls when ever we reach land. These days we are out for old Yamaha equipment, sense we know all about treasures :yes:
 
Yamaha B-2 said:
Sorry, but I am down to three (3). :D Both of my spares have been sold, along with my spare CX-1000. wajobu is the lucky owner of an EW mod'd B-2 and another AKer in CA bought the second one (and the CX-1000), which will ship to CA via KC to allow EW to work his magic on it. Is a real pleasure to introduce two fellow music lovers to such fine sounding gear. Other than the pleasure of being with my wife, nothing quite matches a good book and listening to excellent reproduction of music on my B-2 centered system. :thmbsp: Well.....sailing comes close. :D

wualta--thanks for the link...I will read this. There is also a very informative page (embedded) at TVK within the VFET resource pages.

Glenn (B-2), as you know we share similar interests (sailing too!)...I don't want to digress too far from this thread, but watching our sons play Babe Ruth baseball is pretty darn fun too (scorekeeper and spectator, NOT a fanatical parent..that so often is the case these days).

I look forward to learning more about these B-2s as I enjoy it more. BTW, is there some kind of "web" for those of us to gather spare parts and be able to share with one another to assist others when someone's is ailing? Kind of a mutual admiration society (although this forum is a great start!).

I look forward to learning more and sharing what I learn!--thanks to everyone!
 
Last edited:
the-real-mandak said:
Off curse we stopped knocking down people and raping the girls when ever we reach land.
Well, YOU guys are no fun to hang out with anymore.. How do you feel about playing really loud music in the middle of the night? Loud but with vanishingly low distortion, of course.

These days we are out for old Yamaha equipment, sense we know all about treasures.
Excellent. And don't turn up your noses at the old Yamaha Orthodynamic line of headphones. With a little simple modification, they can take on electrostats.
 
Yes the venerable Bellini Headphones are great!

Excellent. And don't turn up your noses at the old Yamaha Orthodynamic line of headphones. With a little simple modification, they can take on electrostats.[/QUOTE]

Oh...I have one of those nice Bellini headsets from the 70s (can't remember the model number...not at home right now...reddish brown they are). They are VERY nice sounding headphones...still! :music:

I now have the feet from B-2 for the B-2...to be installed today and then on she goes again!
 
Yamaha B-2 said:
Sorry, but I am down to three (3). :D Both of my spares have been sold, along with my spare CX-1000. wajobu is the lucky owner of an EW mod'd B-2 and another AKer in CA bought the second one (and the CX-1000), which will ship to CA via KC to allow EW to work his magic on it. Is a real pleasure to introduce two fellow music lovers to such fine sounding gear. Other than the pleasure of being with my wife, nothing quite matches a good book and listening to excellent reproduction of music on my B-2 centered system. :thmbsp: Well.....sailing comes close. :D

Well I'll have to agree: being with the wife :smlove: , some fine music and a good book are great. As the CA AKer I am really looking forward to to hooking up the B-2 and CX-1000. Have been reading a lot of good things about both EW and Yamaha B-2 :thmbsp: , who has been a pleasure to do business with BTW, and look forward to dropping, actually placing, them in my main system and checking out (listening to) EW's work.

Will use them to run my Yamaha T-70 (tuner), AKAi GX-747 (RTR), Akai GX-F91 (cassette), Technics RS-858/U (8Track), JVC XL-R5000BK (CDR) and my Yamaha PX-3 (TT). As of right the I play all that thru my dlk Model 4's (front) and ESS Amt-4's (rear). Guess that means the C-70, M-70 and MX-600/U will be moving to the family room, but that will be another story...

Looking forward to posting my impressions when it all comes home.
 
Oh boy...what this B-2 can do!

Well, frankly I have been pretty spoiled since 1979 with my CA-810 amp, but I finally have gotten to properly setting up this here B-2 (from B-2); though still not hooked up to the desired ADS speakers (workin’ on that)...I am settling temporarily for my venerable Advents (same vintage).

Anyway, (and I may offend some other music lovers!) I cued-up two discs, both Steve Hackett, his 1999 release “Darktown” and a 2004 Live Archive of a concert recorded in Budapest (have the DVD too). The B-2 after a proper conditioning was run at about 1 to 5 wpc peak.

From Darktown: “Twice Around the Sun”, a thundering piece with two MK2 Mellotrons (suitably delayed to simulate stereo...Mellotrons are mono!), a slap echo guitar, Golden tone, and a remarkable screaming Fernandes guitar with unbelievable sustain (Hackett uses Marshall amps). This piece flows and fills the room now like I cannot believe--the clarity of each and every instrument swirls around the room! With lights off and only the lone LED at the power switch and the power meters percolating away, the B-2 is producing music as if it was a live performance and the musicians are in the room! Really quite remarkable.

From Live Archive 2004: “Blood on the Rooftops”, a great ballad (by that band beginning with a capital G) from 1976 about troubles in the world that never seem to go away (we are still having them to the east of us all--no political commentary!). This time beginning with nylon classical guitar (can hear the fingernails on the strings!), then voice, then band, then full chorus with (yes, that’s right) a Mellotron MK4. This IS a live performance and it REALLY sounds like the musicians are on stage in my 12 by 18 Music Room--with just two speakers.

Alas, I had to relinquish the room to my son who needed to practice at his drum-kit, so until next time...Glenn, you were right, there really is nothing quite like this amp and those VFETs...let’s all find extra VFETs and store them up in a safe-deposit box just in case we need ‘em. After having my hands inside these amps and receivers for a few weeks, it sure is nice to have a chance (albeit short!) to enjoy listening to them.

Thanks for bearing with the musings! :music:
 
Might add for those of you who haven't read the entire thread.....I a/b'd my first stock B-2 against an MX-1000 for a couple of weeks before going with the B-2. While rated at slightly less than 40% of the rated output of the MX-1000, and having no 'hyper-whatever Class A' circuitry, the B-2 definitely beat out the MX-1000 to my ears. And, the mod'd units with new caps and a nice cleaning and alignment are a step above the stock. A truly spectacular amp. :thmbsp: I'll eventually have to find a B-1 just to compare. :D
 
With you guys ranting and raving all the the time about the wonderfulness of the B-2, poor working class stiffs like myself just get farther and farther away from ever owning one as you drive the price higher and higher on them. Come on guys, cut me some slack here please. :tears: :D
 
The sound is why I so enjoy my MOSFET PCR800s. They provide a magical sound. I really need to get them back in a system--but which amp to replace in rotation? I'm lucky enough to have two other great amps out of the loop, and haven't got a clue how to get them into a system.
I would like a listen to a restored B-2, me being a Yamaha enthusiast.
 
Vint Age said:
With you guys ranting and raving all the the time about the wonderfulness of the B-2, poor working class stiffs like myself just get farther and farther away from ever owning one as you drive the price higher and higher on them.
Believe me, I understand what you mean. How about one of the little Sony VFET integrateds to tide you over (a 5650 went for 'way less than $200 a couple of months ago)? The sound quality consensus seems to be that they're very close to the B-2. Plus they come with preamps attached at no extra charge.

How about an amp/receiver with the old revered Hitachi MOSFETs? Great fun, great sound, not much money at all (which is to say, less than $100). Pete will fill you in on what happens when you use MOSFETs and a sophisticated power supply to make enough clean power to blow your toupee off. Not that any of us wears a toupee, or would.
 
I understand how you feel...don't give up!

Vint Age said:
With you guys ranting and raving all the the time about the wonderfulness of the B-2, poor working class stiffs like myself just get farther and farther away from ever owning one as you drive the price higher and higher on them. Come on guys, cut me some slack here please. :tears: :D

Apologies for the B-2 musings...my vintage audio life sat dormant for nearly 30 years...thanks to a friend who replaced an old receiver from an auction on ebay, I thought...I've had my Yamaha CA-810 for 27+years and it needs some work (and a tuner)...and I wonder if I can find that (those) amp(s) that I always wanted back then, but just couldn't afford on work study income. Now, even though we're supposedly saving for college (HA!!)...what harm could it do if I look around for guidance about fixing my 810 and looking for a tuner...ah ebay, audiogon and then I stumbled upon AK in a Google search! :thmbsp:

With some careful economizing, some blunders, and some dives of financial stupidity (you only live once, BUT not on credit!) I'm back interested in audio just like in high school and college (hey, it's not sports cars and betting at the casinos). So, yes there is a B-2 in the house, but YES...I will need to sell (and have sold) something else (including books from the book collection) to stay as close to net zero as possible.

Don't give up getting what you want...undoubtedly there's something in your house or apartment that SOMEONE will pay money for on ebay (I've gotten some unbelievable sums for things I thought no one would EVER buy). :yes:
 
bully said:
The sound is why I so enjoy my MOSFET PCR800s. They provide a magical sound. I really need to get them back in a system--but which amp to replace in rotation? I'm lucky enough to have two other great amps out of the loop, and haven't got a clue how to get them into a system.
I would like a listen to a restored B-2, me being a Yamaha enthusiast.
While the Sony TA-F808ES integrated (MOSFET 100wpc) is unquestionably a wonderful sounding integrated (the equal of the CA-2010, IMHO) and the TA-N90ES (essentially the same power amp as the TA-F808ES) are unquestionably sweet and wonderful pieces, I don't think they are quite a match for the B-2. The VFET just seems to have some bit of magic that the MOSFET amps I've owned/listened to did not quite measure up to.

Pete - Perhaps EW will invite you down for a listen to the CX-1000/B-2 combo once he has it completed. Geographically, that seems to be as close as you are going to get in the near term. Worth a trip down from Lincoln to KC if you are interested. He has the CX-1000 and I'll be shipping the B-2 tomorrow.
 
TAS B-2 Review

David (energyandair) :thmbsp: was kind enough to send me a .pdf copy of the 1979 TAS review of the B-2 amp. If you would like a copy, PM me with your e-mail address. You will notice that one of the reviewers selected the B-2 as his reference amp back then. Interesting selection of speakers they are auditioning the gear with. Especially the Daytons.

Thanks, David.
 
Back
Top Bottom