• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha CR series Recievers Pecking Order

I have an R-1000 that has been serviced by merrylander (Rob is a truly straight up guy!) It was to have been a Christmas present for my dad...well that's another story, anyway....I ended up keeping it because of the phono section. Very clean, uncolored, and selectable. Will probably keep it until it croaks. :D


I have another R-1000 waiting for me to sort out an idle current problem.
 
I bought the CA-2010 integrated amp (switchable class A/class AB) back in '78. Nearly bought a pair of Kilpsh La Scala's to go with it but decided on the NS-1000M's instead. Still listen to them to this day.
 
I’m thinking about picking up a CR-2040. I haven’t seen it yet, but was told it is in fine working order and 9.5 cosmetically. Supposedly, the only thing wrong is that all the lights are out.
Is it major hassle to replace lights on these beasts? Do they need to be soldered in place?
I’ve had a CR-1020 in my family for 30 years and took it in for cleaning and bulb replacement once and still works great.
Thanks,
 
Mine were a very clever twist in mount that gets the power right from the board it mounts into. No wires, no tools required. Bulbs available from one of our members, mine just required a slight trim withan X-Acto to fit perfectly. I love my CR-2040. If the price is fair, grab it and enjoy.
 
I have my CR 2040 I bought new when I was a teenager. I had not played it for a while and finally got it hooked up and rediscovered why I loved this receiver when i bought it...I love that green glow...
 
I still have the first stereo receiver I bought new in 1981. A Yamaha CR-240. 28 years later it is still working in my basement system. Lots of hifi pieces have moved through my collection, but the CR-240 is a keeper.

Bill
 
I still have the first stereo receiver I bought new in 1981. A Yamaha CR-240. 28 years later it is still working in my basement system. Lots of hifi pieces have moved through my collection, but the CR-240 is a keeper.

Bill

I still have an M-4 bought in 83. I did lose the matching C-4 a few years back, but have 2 backup units. :D
 
I still have the first stereo receiver I bought new in 1981. A Yamaha CR-240. 28 years later it is still working in my basement system. Lots of hifi pieces have moved through my collection, but the CR-240 is a keeper.

Bill

I have a CR 440 that is most impressive. Along with two CR 840 & My first
Yammie that introduced me to Yamaha gear,The CR 1020.:D
 
Well, I went to check out the CR-2040 today. I went with a great amount of skepticism as the price and condition (according to the seller) seemed too good to be true.
The seller, a really nice guy, had it hooked up and playing through the tuner, with a turntable connected as well, when I arrived.
Played around with all the controls and it seemed to check out fine…. and bought it.
Got it home and did 15 minutes of clean up (exterior dusting) and connected to my garage speakers. And guess what?

THIS THING IS ABSOLUTLY STUNNING, BEAUTIFULL, GORGEOUS!!!!!!!

One tiny nick on the faceplate with just a few small scuff marks on the case.
All it needs is the green glow of the meters and tuning dial and it would be historic.
I neeeeeed the green glow!
Boy am I stoked !!!

Thanks guys, for your help on this.
 
Last edited:
I think the highest praise you can give a Yamaha is the fact that no one here AFAIK has ever said anything bad about their sound.

I hated my CA-2010's sound before I fixed it (solder joints, diodes, full electrolytics recap, lots of DeoxIT D100 and G100, etc.) I got it with muddy bass, hum, crackling, harsh highs, distorting inputs, buzzing phono preamp, and it was difficult to turn-on during winter. The PSU wasn't working properly as a lot of caps were failing, and caused the amp driver transistors' power supply to be unfiltered and unregulated...

Seriously, I spent more time working on that amp than to get my Tek 'scope working properly. (Bought not powering up, then had to fix both channel modules and the trigger)

Now it's (almost) working properly, and I'd say it's one of the few amps I used that doesn't make me think about any improvements possible. (Except for the speaker connectors and rotary switch contacts) It sounds very good, but I've yet to come across a pair of speakers that matches well with it.
 
Here is my CR-640:

CR-640Angle.jpg


I paid $80 for it (including shipping), so it was no thrift store bargain, but it's worth every penny. I love how the green glow spills out of the tuner rule onto the top surfaces of the satin finished knobs and switches. Whoever designed these Yamahas back in the day had a great eye.
 
Thanks. The speakers are Boston Acoustics CR-7, which are kind of a mid-size bookshelf type. They sound excellent to me but I haven't A/B'd them with anything else so take that for what it's worth. They were made in the late 90s and get good reviews all over the web. They have a nice black ash finish and feel really heavy and solid, plus they have neoprene surrounds that won't get crumbly.
 
Several of my friends are also Yamaha fans. They are always asking about what speakers they should try.

Thanks for the info!!!
 
Well here is what we have and IMHO they sound pretty good;

A CR-1000 driving NS-670s

A CR-2020 driving Polk Monitor 7Bs

A CR-2040 driving NS-690s

A CR-800 driving Polk Monitor 10Bs
 
I need lights for my new 2040 for tuner dial and meters.
Where do I go about getting these?
Thank you.
 
Back
Top Bottom