• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha Model NS690II Louisville

Register to hide this ad
You should get those.

They are serious speakers, and that is a steal price.

BTW, I've had two pair of the III's in the 690's. Still own the nicer of the two sets.
 
Woofer looks wavy, tho. I'd ask who did the refoam, cause that looks troubling. At that price, tho, I'd still do it.
 
I took your advice and bought them. The wavy woofer is where the foam came loose and got distorted somehow. The rest of the woofer looks fine. The foam looks good except for the wavy part but both speakers have the foam completely separated. Just what I need, another project. :D

They really are serious speakers and you can see the quality. I think I got a hernia packing them. I put one of them on a bathroom scale and it read 65 lbs. I don't know how accurate the scales are but they sure felt that heavy.
 
Yes, they're stupid heavy. I always dread moving them, and I'm a strong man.

Refoam them with foams from Rick Cobb (looneytunes on ebay,and a great guy) and enjoy these most excellent speakers.

I got my first pair free, my mint pair for 250 bucks. So, it averaged out more than what you paid. Good job.
 
Thanks guys. They'll probably wind up in my bedroom system because I'm sure they're a lot better than what I've got in there now.

I read that they weigh 59 lbs. That's still very heavy. I guess that if my scales are weighing heavy then I'm not quite as fat as I thought I was. :D
 
Heck of a good buy, running NS690 MkI's in Vintage rig I. Great Monitors!
Regards,
Jim
 
You should get those.

They are serious speakers, and that is a steal price.

BTW, I've had two pair of the III's in the 690's. Still own the nicer of the two sets.

What he said. This is what I was talking about a week ago when I said check out some of Yamaha's lesser NS models.
 
I love my 690 series 1. They will be gone soon of you don't pick them up. What is too much stuff? These could very well be better than what you have. Of course maybe not. Read zilches thread. He could explain why they kick ass better than I ever will.
 
I love my 690 series 1. They will be gone soon of you don't pick them up. What is too much stuff? These could very well be better than what you have. Of course maybe not. Read zilches thread. He could explain why they kick ass better than I ever will.


They're in my basement right now awaiting new surrounds. The ad is still up though. My main speakers right now are Klipsch Chorus. If it equals them I'll be ecstatic. I've got some JBL 4312's but they're eventually going to go. They have good sound but are too harsh for my ears to listen to very long. I'll try and find zilches thread if I'm able to.
 
They're in my basement right now awaiting new surrounds. The ad is still up though. My main speakers right now are Klipsch Chorus. If it equals them I'll be ecstatic. I've got some JBL 4312's but they're eventually going to go. They have good sound but are too harsh for my ears to listen to very long. I'll try and find zilches thread if I'm able to.

I'd like to see the thread as well.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Ah. My 690s knocked of my KG4s. I recapped mine with Mundorf supremes and some kind of clarity cap, I also updated the binding posts. Those chorus's have like a 100db efficiency rating. I forget what the yammies are but the difference will take some getting used to. I have mine in a second system hooked up to a 60s Solid state receiver: keep us updated.
 
Pio1980, I did a search with Zilch and Yamaha ns-690 and it came up. I have to confess that I don't understand the graphs but a lot of people seem to like the ns-690s.

I was searching for some specs today and I think the Yamahas were rated at 90db. Odds are they'll probably go into the bedroom system but if they best the Klipsch I won't hesitate to switch them.

I'll get back when I get a chance to put new surrounds in and give my evaluation.
 
Nice pick up for a hundred.
My MKIIs are wonderful sounding, better than the pricier Spendor SP-1 and more than a few other $darlings$ of the audiophile world I've come across.
 
jerryfan, are you saying you recapped your yamahas or Klipsch?

Was it a chore? I'd love to recap mine, tho there has been some disagreement here about the quality of the old caps. Somewhere I read that Yamaha used very VERY nice caps in these.

I know nothing.

Anyone got a link to zilch's thread?
 
My kg4 had the full crites treatment I did myself. The Yamahas were also recapped. I didn't do the work. My guy had a hard time doing it. He couldn't get the backs off. He did it through the terminal cup. He advised me not to take them apart at risk of damaging them. I have the series one with a much more robust cabinet. Zilch got his mesurments from an un restored pair and put them on his "vintage short list". You gotta respect that
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=280589
 
Last edited:
I've never seen or heard IIIs. I'd love to see what difference the mirror imaging makes. I don't understand why the did mirror image all of them. They were doing it with the 1000s at the same time.
 
Back
Top Bottom