• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha NS 690MKI up and running!

ehoove

Old & New - Carpe Diem
Staff member
Admin
Super Mod
Moderator
Subscriber
I picked up a pair of near mint cabinet NS690 speakers last summer. The one woofer was frozen, both mids had the domes pushed in, and on of the speaker wire connectors was broken. Another AK'er repaired the woofer for me and did a fine job. I swaped out the perfect mids from the NS 690 MkI's that I want to refinish as they have the tri-amp connectors and repaired the speaker wire connectors and all is fabulous being driven by my Yamaha C70 preamp/Acurus A200 combo.

The pair in play have plywood construction and the vented dustcap woofers, but lack the tri-amp connection module that my other pair have. It is my understanding that MkI's were the only NS690's with plywood construction and had the vented dust caps. Let me know if you have any other info on this issue.
Regards,
Jim

IMG_20190921_091027118.jpg IMG_20190921_090942348.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
It's a modified TD160 with Project 9CC arm
 
Who fixed your woofer.I have a bum woofer myself. Same issue.
 
Who fixed your woofer.I have a bum woofer myself. Same issue.

Having a pair of bum woofers as well, I'd also like to know who did your fix.
Also, what are the serial numbers of both pairs of your MK Is?

Rex
 
Last edited:
Pretty sure the MkII also had vented woofers, at least the early ones. Only one set of speaker connections, though.

I would have to get up off my ass and walk 10 feet to confirm...;) I have them running in my HT setup as mains.
 
Having a pair of bum woofers as well, I'd also like to know who did your fix.
Also, what are the serial numbers of both pairs of your MK Is?

Rex
the serial # are 63231 and 63322 with the tri-amp panel, and 77651,77652 on the other pair. check your PM.
Regards,
Jim
 
Pretty sure the MkII also had vented woofers, at least the early ones. Only one set of speaker connections, though.

I would have to get up off my ass and walk 10 feet to confirm...;) I have them running in my HT setup as mains.

It appears the Plywood build is the determining factor as the MkII and MKIII were MDF from what I have garnered.
Regards,
Jim
 
Nor will I, but they are back breakers, and I need to move my original pair down two floors to work on them. :(
Regards,
Jim
 
Crossovers are the same 800 hz and 6khz 12dB/octave

Not the actual frequencies, the ability to bi/tri-amp them was limited to the original NS-690.

I appear to have NS-690 Mark "Unknowns". They have vented woofers, plywood cabinets, and only single speaker connections (no ability to bi-amp, or tri-amp them). The label just says NS-690, and the label is on the crossover cup so little chance of that having been changed to a later crossover style.

They appear to be untouched...

I was always told the single speaker connections, vented woofer, plywood cabinet combination made them NS-690II. :dunno:
 
I was always told the single speaker connections, vented woofer, plywood cabinet combination made them NS-690II. :dunno:


Check out the link in post #14.
Plywood cabinets are unique to the NS-690 MK I and the NS-670 speakers, along with cloth woofer surrounds.
MDF cabinets are only found on MK II and MK III versions.

Rex
 
Mine also have the plywood cabs, vented woofer and single inputs. When I bought them I was told they were Mkll's. The serial No.'s are 78181 and 78182. The original boxes just say NS690 as does the model No. on the input terminal. :dunno:
 
The plywood models are back-breakingly heavy. I won't part with mine...
The NS-690 MKII is actually the back breaker of the two with "improved cabinetry" and other improvements. 23% heavier than the MK I.
22 vs 27kg
https://se.yamaha.com/sv/products/contents/audio_visual/ns-5000/history.h
prd03_eb9887b0d68e47b3fa84ad2979a20d32.png

Maintaining the attractiveness and size of the original NS-690, yet refining and upgrading 90% of its elements — making it the “soft-dome version” of the NS-1000M

The NS-690 Ⅱ, which came out in 1976, was an upgraded successor to the best-selling NS-690, with 90% of the original model's elements improved and refined without any change brought to its well-received external appearance or enclosure dimensions. The NS-690 Ⅱ sported the JA-3060 woofer, originally featured in the updated NS-1000M, and used the enclosure materials and construction comparable to those of the NS-1000M, resulting in an increase of 5 kg (11.0 lbs) in weight to 27 kg (59.5 lbs). In addition, the midrange (JA-0701B) and tweeter (JA-0509B) achieved improved linearity thanks to the fully upgraded diaphragm coating and magnetic circuit. In response to the international acclaim that the NS-1000M was enjoying, the NS-690 Ⅱ brought along in many ways the advanced technology and quality components from the 1000M.
 
Just spent a good two hours listening to my Mk 1's. If the Mk 2's benefit from the upgrades then they must be one sweet pair.
 
I have the Mk1 with ext crossover and tri amp possiblity. really enjoyable speakers. That couch is in the wrong place in your pics I think. Going to stuff up imaging etc
 
Back
Top Bottom