• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha NS 690MKI up and running!

I have the Mk1 with ext crossover and tri amp possiblity. really enjoyable speakers. That couch is in the wrong place in your pics I think. Going to stuff up imaging etc

I agree, but it is in a limited space so I has to be there. :(
Regards,
Jim
 
I have the Mk1 with ext crossover and tri amp possiblity. really enjoyable speakers.

When to other pair with the tri-amp panel is finished I plan to run them in the main tri-amp rig to see what they can do!
Regards,
Jim
 
I have to pull the " mint " grill off of an , ebay purchased, blown Midrange. And a badly creased grill off my good midrange. Got damaged the same time the woofer magnet shifted. Already found a replacement front grill for my "broken" 690... I lost count how many CD jewels were crushed and destroyed as well.I'm really surprised it didn't waste my Cambridgeaudio Azur 640C V2 CDP..That was not a good evening around here.LOL.. I was pissed...:rflmao:
Stacked on top of the 640 was quite a few CD's - The 690 fell forward off of a 2' speaker stand on top of the CD's and CDP. That was setting on the floor in front of the speaker.:yikes:
At least the woodwork didn't get messed up..:thumbsup::biggrin:

All the broken CD jewels saved the CDP. Didn't even get a scratch on it.Even the CD's survived.
 
Last edited:
Anyone know of a replacement midrange around? Hopefully a JA-0701B from a 690II, but would consider A or C versions too.
Not the actual frequencies, the ability to bi/tri-amp them was limited to the original NS-690.

I appear to have NS-690 Mark "Unknowns". They have vented woofers, plywood cabinets, and only single speaker connections (no ability to bi-amp, or tri-amp them). The label just says NS-690, and the label is on the crossover cup so little chance of that having been changed to a later crossover style.

They appear to be untouched...

I was always told the single speaker connections, vented woofer, plywood cabinet combination made them NS-690II. :dunno:
If it wasn't already explained, my understanding is that while the tri-amp version was available with the Mk1, it wasn't standard. So most Mk1 690s will not have the tri-amp capability, ie. yours. Also while some of the 690IIs have a vented cap woofer, most do not, and I don't think any are plywood.
 
I have two pairs of 690 mk1's, one has the triamp panel one does not. They both have vented woofers, cloth surrounds and plywood cabinets.
 
I got the vented woofer, plywood and tri-amp version also. I also got a pair of the ns670's did these come out later than the 690's or about the same time? Did they get any vents, tri-amp and such? Mine don't have any of that.DSC08786.JPG DSC08785.JPG DSC08784.JPG
 
I have a pair of woofers suffering the same frozen cone. Who does the repair or does anyone know of a guide to try it myself?
A few posts about the issue. Not all specifically just for Yamahas, but should be similar. Basically the magnet breaks free and pins the coil on one side. Since the magnet is strongly pulling against the side, even trying to remove it can end up damaging the coil, before you even get to trying to fix it by epoxying it back in place.

This might help you...

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...-690-frozen-voice-coil-shifted-magnet.830810/

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/resetting-a-loose-magnet-with-pictures.202963/
 
Last edited:
i got the vented triamp ones. I bought them from a guy who saved them when his mother in law asked him to put them in hard rubbish and he decided to try ebay. her husband bought them new. They are connected to a recieved and my TV so they do my main TV/movie duties and the receiver has spotify/apple/radio so everyone plays music on them too. I wouldn't hesitate to have them as my main hifi speakers but i have 1000xw for that.
 
i got the vented triamp ones. I bought them from a guy who saved them when his mother in law asked him to put them in hard rubbish and he decided to try ebay. her husband bought them new. They are connected to a recieved and my TV so they do my main TV/movie duties and the receiver has spotify/apple/radio so everyone plays music on them too. I wouldn't hesitate to have them as my main hifi speakers but i have 1000xw for that.

You should really try them as your main hifi, if not just for a little while. They're considerably more forgiving than NS-1000x's and far easier to drive. While they certainly won't cover for a bad recording, virtually everything sounds great on these speakers.
 
Yep i had them for a long time. My main hifi is setup very nice with 1000x and valves in a treated room...it works almost as well as it can.
 
I got the vented woofer, plywood and tri-amp version also. I also got a pair of the ns670's did these come out later than the 690's or about the same time? Did they get any vents, tri-amp and such? Mine don't have any of that.

The NS-670 and the NS-690 MKI speakers were released at the same time.
See this link: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/ns-670.shtml
The NS-670, while sharing plywood cabinet construction and cloth woofer surrounds, did NOT have vented woofers or tri-amp capabilities.
Those features were exclusive to the initial NS-690 production.
Later NS-690 MKI speakers were also produced with vented woofers but without tri-amp capability. The later units carry a different Serial Number sequence.

My (limited) research shows no NS-670 speakers produced with MDF cabinet construction.


Rex
 
Yep i had them for a long time. My main hifi is setup very nice with 1000x and valves in a treated room...it works almost as well as it can.

Agree that valves are probably ideal for the NS-1000x but believe me when I say that the NS-690's will surprise you on their own.
 
The NS-670 and the NS-690 MKI speakers were released at the same time.
See this link: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/ns-670.shtml
The NS-670, while sharing plywood cabinet construction and cloth woofer surrounds, did NOT have vented woofers or tri-amp capabilities.
Those features were exclusive to the initial NS-690 production.
Later NS-690 MKI speakers were also produced with vented woofers but without tri-amp capability. The later units carry a different Serial Number sequence.

My (limited) research shows no NS-670 speakers produced with MDF cabinet construction.


Rex
Thanks for the info! Good to know.
 
Back
Top Bottom