• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha PF 1000 or Technics 1200

edwin

Active Member
I need your advise. Would it be an upgrade if I sell my technics 1200 for a yamaha PF 1000? Thank you for any advise.
 
Register to hide this ad
Personally, I'd keep the Technics 1200! It's a current model that is still in production, with parts and enhancements readily available. In addition, it is a damn fine turntable. Instead of buying the Yamaha, take a look at the enhancements available at KAB and fine tune yours. It's good solid, quality gear! :thmbsp:
 
The Yammie is a Pretty rare table- the 800 more common.

The table features many great ideas (heavy, dual material platter, stiff twin tube arm, three point floating suspension) but has what some folks would consider shortcomings over the 1200 as well.

The 800 is a hot ticket in my inner circle right now so a 1000 would be a big deal, and I'd like to have both myself, but despite the Yammie's rarity and beauty, I'd favor, at this time at least, a modified SL-1200.

Opinions are going to vary on this one.
 
If you want to try a belt-drive, suspended type of TT, you could hardly find better than the Yamaha PF-1000. It sells for considerably more than the Technics, and rarity isn't the only reason. Normally, I'm a big fan of higher-quality DD tables, but if you have a chance to try out the Yamaha, I'd say go for it.

That model was the top export model from Yamaha, at the time that they were selling the GT-2000 domestically. It's their attempt to apply high-level engineering skills to a suspended, belt-drive design, and it features many sophisticated innovations, like the twin-tube tonearm. Adjustment of the suspension is also very easy (done through those round things sticking up on top, instead of fiddling underneath). If you decide to resell it later, it should sell easily, as it has a certain collectible audiophile cachet. Plus, you can ALWAYS find the Technics... but that Yamaha is comparatively rarer, and you might not so easily find another.

Incidentally, is the one you're considering all black, or woodgrain-and-silver? The black ones were for the Asian and European markets; the woodgrain version was only sold in North America.

This is actually one of the few such choices where I would pick the belt-drive over the DD TT. I'd vote for the PF-1000!

EDIT: Again, due to my long-windedness, thedelihaus beat me to the punch on some points. Nice to know we still agree, though! :D

{Also nice to read about the 800 being a "hot ticket" somewhere. I'm getting one, as soon as the owner next comes back to Hong Kong (He is North of here in mainland China most of the time.) It's always nice to pick up a "hot ticket", even if my main reason for getting it is just to get the cartridge that is on it! :D}
 
Last edited:
As lee noted, the Yammie is a fine piece. If you can swing it, it'd be a great addition.

And could it really hurt to own a second TT?
 
I would have grabbed this yamaha without thinking but a few days ago I purchased a thorens 160 super with an sme series III arm fitted with an audio techica AT20ss. Could not justify with my wife a 5th TT (ha ha) . I really have no idea how the yamaha sounds but being their top of the line model it must be good. Was considering selling my 1200 as I think I can always get another one in the future. Will try to negotiate for a lower price as I think this will look good with my Yamaha A-2000 and 2000AX.
 
If the Yam is in working condition or can be made to work with minimum effort - Purely on rareity value I'd get the Yamaha - It's easy to replace the 1200 (or the Thorens)

Otherwise you'd never have this experience.
 
Back
Top Bottom