• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Yamaha preamp. Best choice?

.......
Am I right in thinking that the preamp provides the interpretation of the music.. and the power amp provides the physical impact of the sound...
.

Yes, that pretty much tells it like it is. And interpretation shouldn’t add color and should be faithful to what the source (and recording engineer and delivery) truly is.

You mentioned control especially of the bass. Here’s another vote for the C-80 (an related models). It features ”parametric tone control” which can also be found on, for example, a Sansui C-2101/2 pre. You can not only dial in what frequency (band) you’d like to boost or subtract, but also the bandwidth you’re modifying. To me at least, this is way cool. I can, for example, bring out the violins in some music and suit to taste.

And how much are you wanting to spend? You mentioned getting a good deal on a C-2x or CX-1000. Those are nice preamps but aren’t usually found for less than a grand. A nice Yamaha amp to match could be a B-2 (or B-2x) or an MX-2000.

Good fun and luck on your hunt.
 
Control amplifiers + power amps C-60 + M-60, C-85 + M-85 etc. are fine but there I´m looking for op amp mod "NJM2068" with little bit smoother sound. CX-2 or CX-1 are both natural sounded "unnoticeable" parts of audio chain.
:thumbsup:
 
Last edited:
Und was ist die beste Yamaha-Endstufe zum Anschließen?

M-2 or M-80

Und is es eine Nicht-Yamaha-Endstufe (sprich: unter dem Radar vergleichbare Leistung, aber weniger teuer), die jemand empfehlen könnte?

Sanyo Plus P55
recapped and specially serviced.

Übrigens würde this Combo einen Rotel RA1412 ersetzen und ihn hoffentlich deutlich übertreffen.

sicherlich....

Lautsprecher sind Celestion Ditton 66, zusammengefasst.

Alle befürwortet dankbar angenommen.., danke.

PS
Quellen:
Chord Hugo für CD und Streaming.
Systemdek/Akito/Shure M55 ED, Vinyl.

Dankebar für jeden Rat.., danke.

Yamaha M-2 oder Yamaha M-80
 
Last edited:
Adding on to what Chris Brown said in the beginning of this thread, if you stay open to what becomes available vs looking for something specific, I would lump the C-60/65/80/85 all together in one group, so if any of these show up, they are all good. They are all exactly the same as far as features and circuitry with the following exceptions:
1) The C-80/85 add parametric tone controls and a second set of inverted outputs vs the C-60/65's standard tone controls and single set of standard pre output jacks.
2) The difference between the C-60/65 and C-80/85 are cosmetic only, with only very slight face plate changes made. Internally they are identical. In fact they share the same boards, just populated differently.

So if inverted outputs won't be used and you normally run your tone controls bypassed, all four of these pre-amps would be identical. I have the C-60 (paired with a T-80 tuner and M-4 power amp) and really like it. It replaced a Denon PRA-1000/POA-1500 pre/power amp combo and later a Yamaha CR-2020 receiver. So I fully understand and agree with you regarding your sentiments about the CR-1020 receiver. The reason I bought the C-60 was that I wanted to try adjustable phono cartridge loading and found this one with problems, thus fairly cheap. Easily fixed with liberal amounts of Deoxit into the input selector button assembly (its primary fault), other switches and pots and a recap. Other than the four "audio grade" 1000uF/25V caps that were really going downhill in capacitance value (the worst was down to around 300uF!), the rest of the internals were OK and didn't need to be replaced, but I did them anyway using audio grade Nichicon UFG/UKZ/UES replacements in the audio sections and mostly Nichicon UPW/Panasonic FR/FM in the power supply.

I still occasionally look for a replacement/upgrade for this pre/power combo but would be hard pressed to find something in Yamaha's lineups that would better it without spending boat loads more money. A C-4 seems to be the vinyl lover's dream with more cartridge loading options than just about anything. The C-2 variants seem to dump features for rock solid build quality. The C-1 is just a pipe dream (for me) to be honest. The C-70 seems intriguing and I know Avionic regards it highly. It WAS the TOTL for a few years until replaced with the C-80.
 
I won't say these are the best. I will say these are the best bang for the buck:
C-70 . C-80 . C-85. All 3 pieces have inverting pre-outs for flexibility & bridging power amps.
No remote control

IMO
 
Und was ist die beste Yamaha-Endstufe zum Anschließen?

M-2 or M-80

Und is es eine Nicht-Yamaha-Endstufe (sprich: unter dem Radar vergleichbare Leistung, aber weniger teuer), die jemand empfehlen könnte?

Sanyo Plus P55
recapped and specially serviced.

Übrigens würde this Combo einen Rotel RA1412 ersetzen und ihn hoffentlich deutlich übertreffen.

sicherlich....

Lautsprecher sind Celestion Ditton 66, zusammengefasst.

Alle befürwortet dankbar angenommen.., danke.

PS
Quellen:
Chord Hugo für CD und Streaming.
Systemdek/Akito/Shure M55 ED, Vinyl.

Dankebar für jeden Rat.., danke.

Yamaha M-2 oder Yamaha M-80

I have a couple M-4's and a couple M-80's. Unfortunately I have not been able to hear an M-2. So, I guess if you can't afford or find a B-2, I would choose an M-80 over an M-2 if I could only have one. M-2/M-4 being older are built much better than the M-80 IMO, but the M-80 is more sophisticated with Auto Class A and better specs. So, after saying that how about a B-2x???

Those are cool speakers you have. reasonably efficient, and 8Ohm, so should be fairly easy to drive. If you want to save some money, M-4 or M-60/65 would give you a taste of these amps sound.
 
I won't say these are the best. I will say these are the best bang for the buck:
C-70 . C-80 . C-85. All 3 pieces have inverting pre-outs for flexibility & bridging power amps.
No remote control

IMO
I just picked up a CX-830. Very similar to C-80/85 as far as design. Phono stage design looks almost identical. Variable loudness etc. Only one phono and one pre out, but ok for me. And it has a remote. Not the blue velvet volume pot, but still alps. I got it parts repair for super cheap, and after fixing a couple bad solder joints it's working great! I see them go for fairly cheap, so definitely one to consider for bang for the buck. And lots of Yamaha remotes work with it. Remote for volume and mute is super nice.
 
Last edited:
I'd be very interested in a comparison of the later CX-800/830/1000 pre-amps. The main reason is I'd like to gain remote control capability for the tuner. Unfortunately, the T-80 tuner I have that I really like is not remote capable but it's replacement T-85 is, but only with a matching remote protocol like the CX series pre-amps has built in. And I really like the clean look of the C-60 pre-amp I'm currently using with most of its busy controls behind a door. I think that's where the CX-800 would shine, as it seems to me to be a C-60/65 with remote and composite video I/O added. I couldn't care less for the video functionality, as composite video is nearly useless these days. But it's footprint inside these pre's seems minimal so not really a bother. Then the CX-830 is the next progression of the CX-800, pretty much the same as the CX-800 but without the door? And the CX-1000 adds DSP sound fields and digital I/O? Do I have those differences correct? Has anyone had two of these models or all three that could comment on them?
 
Can anyone comment on the C-50 preamp ?
I was offered a C-50 for $100 thinking about pair it with a Nikko Alpha 230
 
I'd be very interested in a comparison of the later CX-800/830/1000 pre-amps. The main reason is I'd like to gain remote control capability for the tuner. Unfortunately, the T-80 tuner I have that I really like is not remote capable but it's replacement T-85 is, but only with a matching remote protocol like the CX series pre-amps has built in. And I really like the clean look of the C-60 pre-amp I'm currently using with most of its busy controls behind a door. I think that's where the CX-800 would shine, as it seems to me to be a C-60/65 with remote and composite video I/O added. I couldn't care less for the video functionality, as composite video is nearly useless these days. But it's footprint inside these pre's seems minimal so not really a bother. Then the CX-830 is the next progression of the CX-800, pretty much the same as the CX-800 but without the door? And the CX-1000 adds DSP sound fields and digital I/O? Do I have those differences correct? Has anyone had two of these models or all three that could comment on them?

Hey, cool. I'm digging getting to know this era of control amps. I Agree, CX-800 looks nice for the reasons you listed. Looks like it has volume/loudness combined like older models but motorized. I wonder if the quality of the pots is similar. They changed that on the CX-830 and made the variable loudness a separate pot. I like them together from the usage standpoint. It's interesting to see the evolution of these control amps. You are right, these are more like evolved C-60/65, not having the parametric tone controls and second inverted output. CX-830 looks like a cost reduced CX-800 in many ways. Another cool thing is that there is no corrosive glue on the CX-830.

I can't answer your question, as I only have the CX-830 so far but compared to C-60/65/80 I think it sounds nearly identical, outside of the tone control on C-80. Phono is about the same as far as I can tell so far.

Here's a CX-800 volume pot pic from the web:
upload_2023-5-2_8-56-21.png
 
Can anyone comment on the C-50 preamp ?
I was offered a C-50 for $100 thinking about pair it with a Nikko Alpha 230
Hey, I am looking for a C-70, but would consider a C-50 as the features the C-50 drops from the C-70 are minor for my usage. Only MC direct phono input, standard tone control vs. parametric, no secondd inverted pre out. To my understanding they are very similar in all other aspects.
 
I currently own:
C4
C45
CX630 - driving p3500s/p5000s with s115v/sw118
CX1000 - no dsp but has video switching, digital inputs, and a/d conversion.
Have had a few others, waiting for a C80 or C70. Never heard a bad Yamaha control amp.
 
Refurb'd a C-4, didn't do it for me, sold, Refurb'd C-40 basic entry level, sounds ok but skip, better units out there. C-60 and C-70 both need work. CX-1 refurb'd sounded very good but... new owner demo'd on his system, maybe I'll get another one and try again but the CX-1000 is doing it for me, picked up 2 additional units for repair mostly bad solder joints and failed psu caps and/or voltage regulator. The C-2 series is cost prohibitive for me, good luck to those that snare one.
 
Back
Top Bottom