• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha preamp. Best choice?

I can attest to the C-85, bought mine from a AK member years ago and it still runs great. I also bought my M-80 and P2201 years ago from another AK member and both of those still run amazingly well. Sometimes I run the Carver C-1, its still a pure blood, no mods or new caps and it also runs great. A lot of great advice here, just thought I would sound in for the C-85.
The Carver C-1 running with the M-80 is also really nice.
 
Last edited:
My understanding is that they are. But perhaps someone with direct experience can chime in. I know @avionic speaks highly of the C-70. Betting he has seen a C-50 or two to give an opinion of their similarities.
There close..But in my book..No Cigar..I have a couple C-50 parts units to keep C-70's singing.
 
I think the C-50 may be under the radar, very similar to the C-70


C-50
file.php


C-70

967085-e39bdf40-yamaha-c70-c70-preamp-preamplifier.jpg
 
Interesting to see the channel separation spec is better on the two mid models compared to the TOTL models. C-80 phone S/N is best
upload_2023-5-4_9-16-49.png
 
Alright, I am wasting time that I should be using for work... Maybe i will complete this later. Also, these are just a few specs from Hifiengine, it would be better to get the actual specs from servie manuals.
upload_2023-5-4_9-38-2.png
 
Last edited:
Are all the Yamaha C preamps using op amps ?
Opamps may be used for input/output buffers, DC servo and audio gain in tone amps, think you are really asking/interested in which pre's use opamps in the tone amp...

As above, the C-4 is fully discrete, no tone/any(?) opamps.
The C-40, C-45, C-50 and C-60 CX-1000 use a mix of opamps and discrete.
I'd be guessing that the C-70, -80, -85, CX-1(too lazy to download sm) also use a mix
 
Back
Top Bottom