• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

yamaha px-2 value

yonder

Active Member
The deal on a sota I found fell through so I started looking at other options and decided a good linear tracking TT may be a good option. So...what would be a fair price to pay for a px-2? If I can find one.
 
Register to hide this ad
PX2 Value

Hello

I just sold one last month for 1500,00 euro in very nice condition (like new ) very diificult to believe that this is a 30 years old turntable !

I have upgraded it with my kit just before to sold it !

If you find one in good condition don't hesistate to contact me if you need informations to keep it free of troubles during years :thmbsp:
 
I was following an auction for a PX-2 that only worked manually, no auto on or return, and it sold for over $500.00. I have the PX-3 and love it. I'm sure the PX-2 must be better in some way. I don't know what the specific differences are, but if it is better than my 3, it is one awesome turntable. Depending in the condition, the 3's usually sell for a bit less than the 2's. :music:
 
I'd gladly pay 500 for one like that. It probably just needed belts. I don't know all the differences but from what I've read so far the px2 was built a little heavier and the earlier one had a worm screw to move the arm. If I can't find a px2 the px3 will be my next choice.
 
I'm waiting to see what a really nice complete deal-

-one in near mint condition with all accessories, original packing, both headshells, an original MC705 cart, and perhaps another desirable vintage cartridge, goes for on that site if one ever comes up.
They are rarely seen there of late, and when listed, all seem to have at least significant apologies. Based on what I've seen lately, I think there's the possibility of appreciating values.
This kind of conjecture (based on watching auction prices) satisfies my need to rationalize the money I've dumped into some obscure/tired audio artifacts-that my ship will come in and I will be vindicated!
Wanna buy a bridge, anyone??
 
Figure on $750 to start if in good shape, the better it gets the closer it gets to around $1k. Will probably go higher as time goes by, as mentioned the better/best is showing up less and less. PX-2 superior to PX-3.
 
That table looks nice but that seller rating is as bad as I've seen. scarey to say the least. The seller rating will probably be overlooked and someone will pay full tilt.
 
Only way I'd touch that PX-2 is local pickup, otherwise I got a feeling it's going to get destroyed in transit.
 
I've had both the PX-2 and PX-3 and I'm not sure I could have picked one out as clearly being "better" in a blind test. The PX-2 platter is a bit wider and heavier, as is the table as a whole, and while in general that's a good thing too look for, it doesn't always mean a whole lot.
 
I'm getting more Leary about sellers inability or willingness to ship correctly and this px-2's seller has such a crappy rating that I doubt he would help much after it got here in pieces.
There seems to be a pretty big gap in prices between the px2 and px3 so if the sound quality is very similar I could live happily with the px3. It's good to here from someone who has had both.
 
Well, apparently 8 bidders are courageous enough to bid it up to $710 with three and a half days left. This will be entertaining!
 
I'm getting more Leary about sellers inability or willingness to ship correctly and this px-2's seller has such a crappy rating that I doubt he would help much after it got here in pieces.
There seems to be a pretty big gap in prices between the px2 and px3 so if the sound quality is very similar I could live happily with the px3. It's good to here from someone who has had both.

I agree. The price difference between the PX-2 and PX-3 has been around for years. It was big enough 3 years ago that I sold my PX-2 and kept my PX-3. Didn't get the big bucks being thrown around now, but i was pleased with the sale, and I get similar performance from the PX-3.
 
The difference between the PX-2 and PX-3 might not be that noticeable unless the rest of the chain, cartridge/preamp/amp/speakers etc, is very competent/revealing.
 
I'd agree with Rich here - both are very fine tables which I think speaks to how well they were engineered. I would not turn down a nice px3 if it came up first in your search. However if you're looking for a table to keep forever and your system can reveal the differences, the px2 is the way to go.

I'm coming up on 10 years of ownership and even with a VPI Classic in the same system, the px2 holds its own. It's also my go to late night table if I've had a few drinks - totally fool proof.

The Mitsubishi liners also have a very fine reputation around here and would be worth looking into...

Jblnut
 
I guess feedback doesn't matter to some. Over seven hundred is too risky for me.
I am wanting that last turntable and think (my opinion only) my G-9700 and speaker lab khorns are pretty good together and would reveal the difference. At least it showed me that the Sony ps-x60 is way better than my luxman pd-289. If there is that kind of difference between px2 and a px3 may I should focus on just the px2. Not from a seller with an 89 feedback though. Lol. I wonder how the px-2 compares to the sota sapphire with the pu3 arm. Being mentioned as a nice backup to a VPI classic puts it awfully good company.
 
I think a real problem with PX-3s is finding one with really intact feet.
The PX-3 feet have a flimsier thinner rubber "bell" (than the PX2s) which invariably has or is failing in every one I've seen. Although there are several fabricated "work-arounds", I don't think they restore the table's original functionality regarding immunity to feedback. As far as I can see, there's no way to restore or replicate the original setup.
PX-2 feet are of more robust construction, have M6 vs M5 threads, and seem to be much more likely still be intact.
 
Last edited:
Not too muddy the waters, but when dealing with turntables, getting a good match with the cartridge is often the most important single aspect. Of course, this assumes that the turntable is capable of greatness (sorry Garrard Type "A"s!).

I know I can make a great table sound horrible with a great, albeit mismatched, cartridge. I have also been able to make lesser turntables sing, with modest, yet perfectly matched cartridges. Its funny how the music can be so changed in quality with just a tiny change in angle (in multiple directions) or weight (cartridge or tracking), or how the wrong match of cartridge and table can never even get there.
 
Back
Top Bottom