• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

yamaha px-2 value

I've noticed most have a problem with the feet. The one I just sent back because of shipping damage had a set of mod squad replacements and thought they felt a little hard.
I will ask jblnut what cart to use when I get one.
 
I've noticed most have a problem with the feet. The one I just sent back because of shipping damage had a set of mod squad replacements and thought they felt a little hard.
I will ask jblnut what cart to use when I get one.

My PX2 had a spent Adcom MC cart on it when I first got it. I put an AT OC9/II on it (back when they were $300!) and enjoyed 7 years of sonic bliss. When that wore out I picked up another low mileage one on Barter Town here. That's now on my VPI and I have a new AT33EV on the PX2. I've also had a Denon DL103, DL-S1 as well as a Shure M97 on it for short periods of time. It's not very picky on carts and will tell you exactly what they sound like. Buy the best you can afford that works with your phono stage and just enjoy it.

Good luck - I just checked the bay and was astounded at all the PX3's for sale right now. Holy smokes!

jblnut
 
I've been watching them too. Actually, I'm in the bidding wars on them and lost out on one yesterday. as to the carts--before the table thing....lol.
 
I guess feedback doesn't matter to some. Over seven hundred is too risky for me.
I am wanting that last turntable and think (my opinion only) my G-9700 and speaker lab khorns are pretty good together and would reveal the difference. At least it showed me that the Sony ps-x60 is way better than my luxman pd-289. If there is that kind of difference between px2 and a px3 may I should focus on just the px2. Not from a seller with an 89 feedback though. Lol. I wonder how the px-2 compares to the sota sapphire with the pu3 arm. Being mentioned as a nice backup to a VPI classic puts it awfully good company.

But that one negative feedback isn't that bad: it states that he backed out of a sale because something was previously sold. That stinks, of course, but as far as negative feedbacks go, it's pretty innocuous.
 
The PX2 has some good feet, I really don't know how you could mess the feet up on one. It's a shame they didn't just use the same feet on the PX3. I saw where someone posted that PX2 didn't use a belt just a worm gear, well that's not correct it has one small belt that drives a worm gear that then drives the large flat belt that is connected to the arm carridge. That big flat belt sometimes becomes a problem as it is held together by a couple of springs and when those springs loose a bit of tension the arm has a problem with getting stuck and you have to give it a little help and then it will move along. I have had my PX2 for almost a couple of years, and I like it, other than the looks, kind of has that Darth Vader black angular look.
 
I read somewhere the early px-2's used the worm gear and the later ones used the same as the px3. I also read the belt needs to be cleaned and flipped over and then it will work good again.
 
Last edited:
The PX2 has some good feet, I really don't know how you could mess the feet up on one. It's a shame they didn't just use the same feet on the PX3. I saw where someone posted that PX2 didn't use a belt just a worm gear, well that's not correct it has one small belt that drives a worm gear that then drives the large flat belt that is connected to the arm carridge. That big flat belt sometimes becomes a problem as it is held together by a couple of springs and when those springs loose a bit of tension the arm has a problem with getting stuck and you have to give it a little help and then it will move along. I have had my PX2 for almost a couple of years, and I like it, other than the looks, kind of has that Darth Vader black angular look.

Here's a link to a conversation about the two PX-2 drives: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4305001&postcount=1

PS: the auction ended at $1,100.00
 
Last edited:
I wonder what the sonic differences are between the two drives. The px3's are selling for way less than that 1100 and I'll probably go that route. Then casually look for the px2.
 
I doubt there's any difference due to the tonearm drive system differences.
And the tonearm assemblies are virtually identical.
I think the big differences are in the turntable/platter sections.
An obvious difference is in the noise specs.
 
Yamaha px-3 is in the house. Came with two headshells, the lomc 705 cart, 50mm cart tool(happy about that),there are two little knobs I have no clue about. The lid is very nice with no swirls at all. The feet are gone but I found a second px-3 that works with good feet.(150.00). I figured the head shell off this one is worth half that, let alone all the other unabtainium parts.
When I hooked it up to test it I discovered the the belts are slipping when worked the automatic functions but when I pushed it into place and pushed the down button it worked and played the whole side. Sounds real nice. Really looking forward to having this table dialed in. So now I have my first linear table, three head shells, good feet, and a working spare. I may get that one going instead of making it a parts unit. We'll see. One question: with the low output 705 cart do I need some kind of phono booster?
 
AFAIK all 705s were hi-output (~2.1mV?) and work well into MM preamps.
The little knobs are additional weights: they screw into the sides of the counterweight. (although I've seen pictures of PX-3s that looked like there were no holes present) The turntable comes with 2 very small weights screwed into the CW and 2 large ones in the parts kit.
Welcome to the hood!
 
The reason I thought the 705 was low output is the volume needs to be turned up so much. I put a shure v15 type in on it and it plays way louder. I think I'm going to like being in the PX club. Thanks for the welcome.
 
The 705 is low output. Thats what i have on my PX-3. My CA-810 has a MM/MC phono stage. I set it om MC and it is perfect. You would need a step up transformer to use it with an MM only phono stage.
 
Yamaha px-3 is in the house. Came with two headshells, the lomc 705 cart, 50mm cart tool(happy about that),there are two little knobs I have no clue about. The lid is very nice with no swirls at all. The feet are gone but I found a second px-3 that works with good feet.(150.00). I figured the head shell off this one is worth half that, let alone all the other unabtainium parts.
When I hooked it up to test it I discovered the the belts are slipping when worked the automatic functions but when I pushed it into place and pushed the down button it worked and played the whole side. Sounds real nice. Really looking forward to having this table dialed in. So now I have my first linear table, three head shells, good feet, and a working spare. I may get that one going instead of making it a parts unit. We'll see. One question: with the low output 705 cart do I need some kind of phono booster?

You need something like this - a SUT. :music:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=543290
 
Now I'm feeling dumb! I swear that I had info that the MC705 was high output and it was 2.1mV. I haven't used either of them for a long time. I'll stick one on the PX and see what it does into a MM input. The cartridge on my second table has 2.2mV; it should be a close match if it's ~2mV.
 
Not the first time I've been wrong..

OR the last!

It's definitely low output MC. I tried it this AM.
I think I confused it with my Adcom HC/VDH which has 2.5mV. Don't know why I had MC705/2.1mV stuck in my head!
 
Back
Top Bottom