• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

You guys are FREAKING me OUT!

spazus

Active Member
I am new to turntables & have just recently purchased 2 JVC QL-A5's (First one arrived damaged so i bought another) I paid a total of approx $100. I need a new cartridge & after reading alot of the posts here it seems I need to spend $200+ to play my records.

I do not have bad to the bone systems like you guys have & am not sure if my ears could notice the difference in a $50 cartridge vs $5000 cartridge!

Do I really need the following items?

Alignment Protractor $50 (Ive seen paper ones for free download but not sure how to get the hole perfectly punched in the center?)

Force Gage $35

Test Record $40

Record Cleaning kit $30

Grado Black Prestige Cartridge $60

Preamp...anywhere from $25-$10k..lol

The cartridge & preamp I do need....but how do I know exactly how much I should spend?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
You can download and print an alignment protractor from teh interwebs.
The Shure stylus pressure gauge is simple and inexpensive ($20 the last time I bought one).
You dont' need a test record.
The Grado is (IMNSHO) a fine choice; you can go Audio-Technica and spend less if you really want to.
Preamp? Well, you want something decent, but you could use the phono section in an old receiver (take the signal from the tape outputs) if need be. Otherwise, if you can solder, consider the Hagerman Bugle, which is excellent and fairly inexpensive www.hagtech.com

Does this help?
 
Welcome Spazus. You'll be looked after here. Don't worry about the test record just yet.
 
Something to consider is how easy it is to get caught up in endless upgrades. (read: money pit)

If you cheap out now, you'll only want to upgrade later and it will end up costing more in the long run.

Get something good now, spend the money now, do it right - or wait until you can afford to.
 
Ok...This list is getting a bit cheaper.

I have a technics Quad reciever that I can use the onboard phono preamp. -$50 (I didnt think of outputting...duh)

I will use the paper protractor printouts. -$50

Saved $100 = Cool.

One question...If I use the paper protractors...How do i get the hole punched in the exact right place? If this is off wouldnt my alignment be off as well?
 
d

for example with such:
image003.jpg
and a
hammer.jpg
 
Lay the paper on a piece of wood or anything you don't mind scratching. Get an Xacto knife with a #11 blade or any other sharp pointed knife and work around the marked hole on the paper.
 
Something to consider is how easy it is to get caught up in endless upgrades. (read: money pit)

If you cheap out now, you'll only want to upgrade later and it will end up costing more in the long run.

Get something good now, spend the money now, do it right - or wait until you can afford to.

Seems like good advice.

But at the same time I think it might be ok for me to get started on the cheap & see if & how far this hobby may go.....Wouldnt it suck if I borrowed 5k from the bank to buy an amazing system only to realize 6months down the road...$100 system would have been just fine. (for me)
 
Lay the paper on a piece of wood or anything you don't mind scratching. Get an Xacto knife with a #11 blade or any other sharp pointed knife and work around the marked hole on the paper.

So the alignment is not a precision measurement. Im starting to think I over complicate the simple things...lol

Thanks
 
...SNIP...

But at the same time I think it might be ok for me to get started on the cheap & see if & how far this hobby may go.....Wouldnt it suck if I borrowed 5k from the bank to buy an amazing system only to realize 6months down the road...$100 system would have been just fine. (for me)

I agree. It's too hard to figure out exactly what you're going to like for years and years. I'd rather just get started.
 
I would get a good stylus alignment tool that attaches to the headshell - The only tables I've owned were new, or came with the appropriate tool -

Test record - optional

Stylus force gauge - optional - never owned one. If you follow the turntable instruction manual, and zero the weight - then dial in the appropriate tracking weight you should be ok - especially with sub-$100 cartridges. The cheaper cartridges are a bit more forgiving. I usually set my tracking force in the middle of the range specified by the cartridge maker. You also want to make sure the cartridge you buy has a tracking force range that's about the same as the turntable's arms specifications.

The amount of money you spend depends on what your ultimate goal is here - if the goal is to achieve a high quality sound (or better than CD) then you're not gonna get that by using the cheapest pre-amps, cartridges, and set up available. But if you've acquired a bunch of records, and simply want to listen to them and sound quality isn't terribly critical, then cheap is ok. Depends on your priorities, and your goal.
 
Last edited:
Here's an alternative to using a protractor. I clipped this out of the PDF manual (in French and German) for the QL-A5 available at VinylEngine.com. My German is quite rusty, but just from the diagram I'd say that you'd put the cartridge square in the headshell, with the tip of the needle 48mm from the base. I used a similar method with my Technics turntables (except they use a different length) with good results.
 

Attachments

  • JVC Ql-A5 Alignment.gif
    JVC Ql-A5 Alignment.gif
    73.3 KB · Views: 79
Use exacto knife to cut spindle hole on dotted lines as such:



Untitled.jpg



Hope you can appreciate my fine MS Paint skills lol. Don't concen yourself with trimming circumference . Insert over spindle . Make sure the downloaded protractor is to scale.
 
Here's an alternative to using a protractor. I clipped this out of the PDF manual (in French and German) for the QL-A5 available at VinylEngine.com. My German is quite rusty, but just from the diagram I'd say that you'd put the cartridge square in the headshell, with the tip of the needle 48mm from the base. I used a similar method with my Technics turntables (except they use a different length) with good results.

Thanks man! I saw this manual but passed on the download since it was german....maybe i should grab it anyway & just look at the pictures....heck it worked for me in high scool!...lol
 
My shop system:

Pioneer SX-680 receiver - $10 yard sale find
Pioneer PL-530 turntable - $10 Goodwill find
Baby Advent II speakers - $13.99 thrift store find

Sounds - priceless
 
Record cleaning

Washing your records is an important step, especially for those used records that have a questionable pedigree! See the following thread for advice on the cheaper but well-workable methods.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=186385&highlight=washing

I use the two-dent-pullers to protect the labels, a paint pad and simple dish liquid to wash .... any vacuum with the flat'ish nozzle covered by a lint free or micro cloth (held in place with an elastic band) will work .... the 'equipment' will cost about $15 or so total.

A clean record makes a heckofa difference.
 
Keep it simple. The main trap is spending too much for too little too fast in the beginning.

Protractor;
Punch the hole with a sharpened pencil or other similar pointed object with a washer with a 1/4" hole as back-up. Download the protractor for free from the 'net.

If the arm has a calibrated counterweight you don't 'need' the force weight scale right off. Static-balance the arm and zero the counterweight scale, then set the counterweignt to the prescribed value.

Check e-Bay for a TCC-760 as a good starter pre for ca $54 plus shipping. The Cambridge Audio 640P at ca $200 is the next significant step up.

Elliptical tip carts start new at ca $20 up, depending on luck and patience. The Grado is OK and fairly priced for what it does. For $60 you can get 3 Digitrack 200 NE from Jettsales, one of which will work and 2 spare stylus ass'ys. A better cart than the Grado.

Get a Discwasher kit ca $20 as an absolute minimum starter record cleaner with the Stylast stylus cleaning brush, $6 from Garage-A-Record. A good record washing kit can be made from hardware store stuff for less than $20.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3418091&postcount=268
Use this appliance as a label protector/record holder with dilute dawn detergent and a paintbrush to clean the records in the sink, following the grooves with the brush. Rinse well after with warm water and dry with lint-free cloth and air dry finish.
You'll still want the discwasher kit for the before-play pre-cleaning.

Test record, What for??

Again--Starting out, keep it simple during the learning process.
 
Last edited:
Buy A Decent Cartridge

Download a protractor at Vinyl Engine, and set the cartridge up that way. There is nothing inferior about doing this. I have used them, and just cut the center out with an exacto knife. If you want to go high tech, then have it laminated after it is ready, and u can use it again.

You do need a decent brush to pull dust off the record before playing. Most people use the Audioquest carbon fiber brush, and Micheal Percy has them for about ten bucks. Also buy a stylus cleaner, which will prolong the life of your stylus and records. These are routine maintenance items you need.

Buy the Shure pressure gauge from Micheal Percy also. You should be able to get all your vinyl maintenance stuff from him. If you look around locally you might find a small digital scale that can be used for setting tacking force. May not be as accurate as the big dogs, but they can be had inexpensively. Another option is to borrow one from a local store, and then see how accurate the one is on the table. It might be feasible for you to rely on that one, especially if you don't change cartridges often.

You may want to consider a record washing system. There are several DIY ways to do this. I personally think that using a homebrew recipe of purified water, isoprophyl alcohol, a mild detergent, and Kodak photoflow makes a good cleaning solution. There are several DIY formulas on the net, and people have achieved good results. Go to the drug store and buy a couple of brushes used for cleaning under the fingernails....they are stiff enough to get into the grove and gentle enough to use on vinyl. Have one for the cleaning solution, one for a rinse. Dry with micro-fiber towl,and finish in a plastic dish draining rack. Cheap and effective record cleaning system. Also consider buying some new sleeves from someplace like sleevecity.com. Best to put clean records in pristine sleeves.

Now about that cartridge. I am not a Grado fan, although I know some people are. When I look at the cheaper Grado cartridges, I see a cantilever that looks the size of a telephone pole. It has a BRASS BUSHING attached to the end. Then a diamond CHIP is bonded to it, you really can't call it a stylus. The whole thing has the moving mass of a VW Bug. Try to stretch the budget how far it can go, minimize other expenses on the set up gear, and spend the extra cash on a good cartridge. There are several good budget ones out there. The Nagokoa(sorry about spelling) appear to satisfy the adventurous owners who buy them. Of course the AT are well received, and they have some advanced stylus profiles at their price points. There is a thread that was recently posted about how a Stanton cartridge can be made to perform extremely well with a better profile diamond. I would look into that. Denon and Shure might have cartridges that fall into your budget. I would take any of them over a Grado.

Of course this is just the musing of a barnyard animal. You might want a second opinion. If so ask the cows, don't ask the chickens. Fowl cannot be trusted to tell the truth.

Regards
Mister Pig
 
Back
Top Bottom