• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

You guys are FREAKING me OUT!

i agree wholeheartedly with those who suggest that, if you're going to invest in something, put the money in the cartridge. Then maybe something like the Cambridge Audio phono-preamp. More than anything else in the audio hobby, I've found that vinyl is very much something where you get out what you put in. It really depends on what your goals are. You're just starting out, there's no reason to jump all in, but getting a little bit above the entry-level in cartridges might be rewarding enough to keep you going. Good luck...those JVC tables are nice.
 
I can't say I'm hardcore about it, but I thought I did very well with the Grado Black, vinyl engine downloadable protractor and Hagerman Bugle pre.

Magic Eraser for cleaning the stylus. $2-$3 at Lowe's/Home Depot etc. Just dunk the tip a couple of times.

I have a decent turntable and using the arm balancing directions to zero out the tracking force guage worked fine. I just recently got a digital scale and checked my tracking force and it was right on.

You don't need to drop a lot of money right away. Fine if you can, but its too easy to get caught up thinking that you need to have all this stuff to enjoy vinyl.
 
. . . Do I really need the following items?

Alignment Protractor $50 - This depends on whether the TT can even use one, I'm not familiar with yours.

Force Gage $35 - Your table/arm may include this.

Test Record $40 - not really

Record Cleaning kit $30 - If your LPs are new, no, if not, something is good. You will find out why.

Grado Black Prestige Cartridge $60 - Some cartridge is necessary. A nice one can be had for this price.

Preamp...anywhere from $25-$10k..lol I'm guessing your amp doesn't include a phono stage. So yes, it is needed. You choose.

. . .

Hopefully you got all that before but I thought I would post anyway.
 
When I bought my first TT back in 1978 (Technics SL-23), the TT was $95 and the cartridge was $120! Talk about your sticker shock!

:D



Retro
 
Thanks so much for all the help folks!!

.....Maybe I'll sleep a lil better this evening....lol....I laid in bed looking at turntable everything last night & my mind was running a gazillion miles an hour
 
You don't need to spend huge $ to get nice sound.
Here is one of my systems:
$35 Technics SL-1700 MKII turntable with Pickering XSV3000 cart
$200 for an original Pickering stylus
$100 Sansui AU717 amp

And since speakers are so individual you need to decide what kind of sound you like. But you can buy nice sounding speakers for $100 if you look around.
 
Here's an alternative to using a protractor. I clipped this out of the PDF manual (in French and German) for the QL-A5 available at VinylEngine.com. My German is quite rusty, but just from the diagram I'd say that you'd put the cartridge square in the headshell, with the tip of the needle 48mm from the base. I used a similar method with my Technics turntables (except they use a different length) with good results.

The key here is, as SA-708 says, it's an alternative to the protractor. Aligning the cartridge in this way sets it to the manufacturer's specs which may be different from (but not necessarily better or worse than) a Baerwald, Stephenson, etc. protractor. It's a hell of a lot easier though. This method is pretty standard for Japanese "S-arm" tables from the '70s. Pioneer uses 49 mm and Technics uses 52 mm but the method is the same.

John
 
Don't step over a dollar to pick up a dime! It's one thing to be frugal, and another to waste the money you spend by being cheap. You have invested some decent money into this, and you need to spend just a bit more to see it through.

1. Buy a good cartridge. Don't break the bank, but don't waste money by buying something you are going to upgrade from shortly.

2. Use the free set up tools to get it aligned. Borrow the pressure gauge if you can, or order an inexpensive one like one of the previous posts referenced. Might not be accurate to the thousandath of a gram, but its good enough to get tarcking weight to the tenth position.

3. Buy good stylus care fluids, and use common sense and the experiences of others to develop a good record cleaning system. This will get you better sound, and longer life out of your stylus.

Don't be cheap! The experience of poor sound lingers far longer than the elation from a "fantastic" price. Common sense and a bit of ingenuity in record cleaning will go a long ways to making your foray into vinyl a successful one.

Regards
Mister Pig
 
Last edited:
Paper Protractor Tip

I used a sewing needle to perforate the circle and then punched out the center holes on my paper protractor. Worked great. The most important thing is to verify the printout is to scale.
 
Paper Protractor Tip

I used a sewing needle to perforate the circle and then punched out the center holes on my paper protractor. Worked great. The most important thing is to verify the printout is to scale.
 
Here's an alternative to using a protractor. I clipped this out of the PDF manual (in French and German) for the QL-A5 available at VinylEngine.com. My German is quite rusty, but just from the diagram I'd say that you'd put the cartridge square in the headshell, with the tip of the needle 48mm from the base. I used a similar method with my Technics turntables (except they use a different length) with good results.

Thanks man! I saw this manual but passed on the download since it was german....maybe i should grab it anyway & just look at the pictures....heck it worked for me in high scool!...lol[/QUOTE

Hopefully this translation will help you. Maybe some good German descendant, or German national can also translate, just to make sure, but I'm sure, don't worry.

From left to right:

Porte-cellule: Arm-Wand

Téte de Lecture: Cart

Extrémité de la pointe de lecture: End of the reading point = Needle

Alignez les lignes médianes du porte-cellule et de la tête de lecture:
Align the medians lines of the Arm-Wand and the Cart
 
Last edited:
For needle (stylus) care, many suggest using the 'Magic Eraser' found in 'Cleaning Supplies' in many grocery stores, etc. Use the white, not the blue side. Total cost, a buck or so.

As for cleaning, you'd be supprised how good, Dawn, water, and a polyester paint brush works. When you feel like it and can afford it, there are some esoteric enzyme cleaners out there for cleaning Vinyl which get good reviews.

For really bad records, Titebond II really does work. It's just a pain to use.
 
Hopefully this translation will help you. Maybe some good German descendant, or German national can also translate, just to make sure, but I'm sure, don't worry.

From left to right:

Porte-cellule: Arm-Wand

Téte de Lecture: Cart

Extrémité de la pointe de lecture: End of the reading point = Needle

Alignez les lignes médianes du porte-cellule et de la tête de lecture:
Align the medians lines of the Arm-Wand and the Cart

Small correction:

Porte-cellule = Cartridge

Tete de Lecture = Headshell

Extrémité de la pointe de lecture = stylus (needle) tip

Alignez les lignes medianes du Porte-cellule et de la Tete de Lecture = Align the center lines of the cartridge and the headshell.

The remaining step would then be to set the distance between the rear shoulder of the headshell, (including the neoprene washer), and the stylus tip at 48 mm as shown.

Tres simple, non?

John

John
 
That overhang guage may be accurate for that arm on that turntable but not necessarily for others like yours. Go with the protractor.
 
Thanks man! I saw this manual but passed on the download since it was german....maybe i should grab it anyway & just look at the pictures....heck it worked for me in high scool!...lol[/QUOTE

Hopefully this translation will help you. Maybe some good German descendant, or German national can also translate, just to make sure, but I'm sure, don't worry.

From left to right:

Porte-cellule: Arm-Wand

Téte de Lecture: Cart

Extrémité de la pointe de lecture: End of the reading point = Needle

Alignez les lignes médianes du porte-cellule et de la tête de lecture:
Align the medians lines of the Arm-Wand and the Cart

Small correction:

Porte-cellule = Cartridge

Tete de Lecture = Headshell

Extrémité de la pointe de lecture = stylus (needle) tip

Alignez les lignes medianes du Porte-cellule et de la Tete de Lecture = Align the center lines of the cartridge and the headshell.

The remaining step would then be to set the distance between the rear shoulder of the headshell, (including the neoprene washer), and the stylus tip at 48 mm as shown.

Tres simple, non?

John

John

J' aime bien qu'on m'aide à traduire le Français à L'Anglais, mais faut auparavant savoir parler le Français, ça fait une meilleur traduction.

We can debate this between French speaking people, but to who it may concern, just take a look at the picture, and you will find my translation right on the money.

By the way, the words MEDIAN LINES and the words CENTER LINES are somewhat strangely related.:scratch2: Très simple, non!
 
Last edited:
We can debate this between French speaking people, but to who it may concern, just take a look at the picture, and you will find my translation right on the money.

By the way, the words MEDIAN LINES and the words CENTER LINES are somewhat strangely related.:scratch2:

The arm wand isn't even pictured in the diagram. How is it possible that's what's being referred to?

The arrow from "tete de lecture" points to the headshell. On the other hand, the arrow from "porte-cellule" indicates the cartridge.

Lastly, an instruction to align the cartridge centerline with that of an S-shaped arm wand simply doesn't compute. Can't be done.

[EDIT] For clarification see Fig. 5 in the manual. It's an exploded view of the headshell and cartridge assembly with the components clearly labeled.

John
 
Last edited:
Don't be cheap! The experience of poor sound lingers far longer than the elation from a "fantastic" price.

Regards
Mister Pig

That is the best advice I've read on AK in a very long time. You don't have to break the bank, but being cheap for cheap's sake is a good way to have a turntable with a lot of unrealized potential.
 
That overhang guage may be accurate for that arm on that turntable but not necessarily for others like yours. Go with the protractor.

The diagram in this thread is from the manual for a JVC QL-A5, so it's perfectly appropriate for the OP's table.

John
 
Back
Top Bottom