• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Your Last Concert (or two)

Last Night we went to see Jimmy Thackery and the Drivers Free at the Glendale Jazz&Blues festival. WOW really a great concert. Enamored pretty much all night. He can really play! Then he breaks into Hendrix`s Star Spangeled Banner OMG!! The flag above him was silent all night. Then he started playing this and the flag began to move and stood straight out while he played ( an absolutely excellent rendition) JIMI must have been pleased. :music::D

Check out Thackery's early work with The Nighthawks.
Not as flashy but still tasty.
 
Last night I went to see Allan Holdsworth at the Iridium jazz club here in NYC. All he did was confirm for me that he is one of the top ten guitar players in the world today. The reach of his hands on the fretboard is impressive, fluid playing, note perfect runs that were not for show but intregral to the song. Nothing overly flashy, but yet incredibly impressive playing.

Contrasted with so many acclaimed guitar players that are technically proficient yet boring in presentation, Mr. Holdsworth soars above the pack on a style of playing most guitarists couldn't even imagine.

My friends and I all got to talk to him before or after the show and he was very gracious and appreciative of our support, a classy man in both his playing and his character. :tresbon:

PS: Kudos to his supporting players, Ernest Tibbs on bass and Chad Wickerman on drums both virtuosos in their own right, they provided a solid backbone over which Allan could overlay his rich tapestry of notes. There were times during the song "Fred" from the Tony Williams Lifetime Album "Believe it" that I thought no human could play the guitar that well. :D
If you get a chance go see the man Eddie Van Halen thinks is the greatest guitar player in the world. http://www.therealallanholdsworth.com/allanlive.htm
 
Ravel Piano Concerto in G
Schubert Symphony #8
New York Philharmonic.


MY next 2 concerts will be Britten's War Requiem
followed by Mahler's 8th
 
In the last two weeks I have seen the Dead in DC and the North Mississippi All Stars at the State Theatre in Falls Church, VA.

Next up will probably be Dr. John with the South Memphis String Band at the Birchmere...
 
Newsboys @ Freedom Hall in Johnson City last month
Iron & Wine @ The Orange Peel In Asheville last November
 
Buddy Guy and B.B. King

Buddy was probably better than any other time I have seen him but B.B. was, I'm sorry to say, awful.
 
I'll be watching Mr. Holdsworth and band (Chad Wackerman & Ernest Tibbs) this evening :naughty:
 
Last edited:
It hasn't happened yet but I'm very exited to have gotten tickets to finally see Van der Graff Generator 7/01/09. It's been a 38 year wait.
 
The older I get the more I hate crowds and long lines and for what I spend on getting into most concerts I could buy a few albums to listen to at home. The last show I went to was James McMurtry at a local restaurant outside (very cool setting, just my speed) but the last big concert I went to was Clapton with my wife and her parents, had good floor seats.
 
Jlc76 so you went to the "grove" last week huh? Ryan Bingham is playing this week! I'll prolly go see Joe Ely tonight at Republic park myself. $7.00 only!
 
Nope, actually saw him at Threadgill's in Feb or so. I didn't know about Joe Ely tonight. I may have to make my way out.
 
Back
Top Bottom