C-4: Avionic'd and sounding oh so good!

reneborg

I'm Vintage Too
Today I received my C-4 control amp (pre amp) that's been at Dave's (Avionic) getting a transplant. I am not 100% sure of what Dave did (the procedure was a recap), but I can say that this hot rodded C-4 sounds friggin' AWESOME :banana: :banana: :banana:

Especially paired with a previously Avionic'd M-4 :D

I know, ain't I a lucky bastid!?

Because of the time and sleeping family members, I haven't been able to crank it right now, but, even at relatively low volumes the main effect I hear is a very quiet noise floor, and my vinyl sounds smokin! :smoke:

I'll be able to tell more with more time listening, but, at this point, I hear a lot more openess and clarity in the high end and more 'presence' in the bass than I was hearing with my previous pre-amp -- a Yamaha C-70 -- itself no slouch, but that is a stock, unAvionic'd unit.

Over the next few days I'll see if I can set up some sort of A/B comparison with the C-70 and a stock C-4 I also have.

Ok ... that's enough for now, I got some tunes to listen to ....

here are pics of the c-4 in the rack. btw, Dave, the lights match nicely with the M-4 too. Thanks!

Attachments

• rack1b.jpg
    rack1b.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 83
  • lightsb.jpg
    lightsb.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Thanks for the report. Will be keen to know the results of your A-B comparison. Awaiting arrival of a C-4, too.

Listening to Steely Dan's "Gaucho" right now. This album is well recorded and my copy is in great shape. I'm one happy camper right now. My main reaction right now is that I didn't expect as great a difference between this recapped C-4 and the stock C-70 it replaced.

@ Spectrum. It will be very interesting to A/B the preamps, esp. the stock C-4.

? anyone ?

Phono section ONLY

How do the Yamaha C series preamps (70, 80, 85, C-4) compare to the newer stand alone phono amps say in the <300.00 dollar range?

Nice.

I just put up a second system in my home office. A little something to jack the media server into.

M-4
C-4
T-1
and for a temporary listen - my new CDX-2020.
All running through a tiny little pair of JBL L15's on my desk.

One of the reference CD's, Nora Jones - Come Away With Me, Hybrid SACD/CD is spinning and sounds absolutely incredible. Alas, I also have a spouse that is a light sleeper and none to happy if the tunes are cranking this late.

My C-4 outperforms my C-80 clearly, both have been reworked extensively. The phono section of the C-4 is comparable to an upgraded Jolida JD-9 and better than a standard Tube Box II SE.

reneborg- will be using the C-4 with (fingers crossed a repair goes well) pair of PC-2002's.
Dr. Ear- indeed, them's some strong words! Really wasn't expecting such amazing things from the phono stage. We shall see...
Frank Sol- finger on the bidding button?

I am certainly no expert, but my experience with a few of the yammies from around this era is that they generally have very nice phono sections. Remember, vinyl was one of the major sources when these units were built, so it makes sense.

At least that is my experience with an A-1 integrated and the C-4 & C-70 pre amps.

Rene some questions: have you had a chance to experiment with the impedance selector, 'pF' switch and various carts? Do you have the owner's manual? Have a copy here, if not. What carts and spinners have you used with the C-4?
Only Yamaha phono sections I have are with a CA-1000III and a CR-800. The Yaqin MS-12B valve pre leaves them both for dead. That's why I'm very curious about results with the C-4.

Spectrum,
I have messed around with the pF setting a little, but I haven't tried various cartridges yet .... I'm still digesting. Right now the TT I have hooked up in that system is a Mitsubishi LT-20 with an Ortofon OM-30. I will be able to try a Denon DL-160, Shure M97xE, an Orotfon with Digitrac 20 stylus, and an Empire (though I don't recall the model at the moment.

At some point I will try some of my other turntables too.

I am not familiar with the two Yamaha units you have nor the Yaqin, so I can't comment. I do know that the Yamaha A-1 has a very nice phono section that sounds nicer than many other units I've tried and the C-4's is, to me, a bit nicer. However, that A-1 is stock, this C-4 is recapped, and I haven't A-B tested them. Also, take note that none of my equipment is 'superstar' stuff. The other units I've had/compared have included a Nak receiver (RE-2), Onkyo Integra, Pioneer SA-8500, NAD 3020, etc.

It sounds to me like you'll have some nice listening tests to do yourself! Will you be recapping your C-4? Oh, thanks for the offer of the manual, but I've got a copy already.

Dave does excellent work! :yes: He rebuilt my Sansui G-801 and now I have my Carver 2000 waiting in que for the same treatment. Congrats! :thmbsp:

C-4 vs. C-4 ?

Few weeks back saw an unused C-4 in my buddy's garage so I've been lurking in several C-4 threads to learn more about it.

aidynphoenix posted pics of one looking the same as reneborg's.
Also in that same thread, which I cannot seem to find (may it was an M-4 thread?)
there were pictures of a different C-4 with much different faceplate on it.

Did Yamaha reuse that model number?
Are they similar internally despite outward appearance?

Edit:
Ooops, my mistake apparently.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3842876&postcount=122
There's the pic I remebered. Can't quite read it, but doesn't look like C-4 anyway. My friend's looks a lot like that except the two top buttton covers are broke off...

Last edited:
Pretty sure there's only one Yamaha with the name "C-4"

edit: the one in the photo you added is a C-80

Yamahac80.jpg

Few weeks back saw an unused C-4 in my buddy's garage so I've been lurking in several C-4 threads to learn more about it.

Also in that same thread, which I cannot seem to find (may it was an M-4 thread?)
there were pictures of a different C-4 with much different faceplate on it.

Did Yamaha reuse that model number?
Are they similar internally despite outward appearance?

Edit:
Ooops, my mistake apparently.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3842876&postcount=122
There's the pic I remebered. Can't quite read it, but doesn't look like C-4 anyway. My friend's looks a lot like that except the two top buttton covers are broke off...

Pretty sure there's only one Yamaha with the name "C-4"

edit: the one in the photo you added is a C-80

Yamahac80.jpg

Not to split hairs, but the one SPAM referenced is a C85 (or C65?). You can tell by the reflection off the glass covers over the input indicators. C80 era has flat metalized indicators without the covering. Yes, my sig is only the short list and dated. :D

910484954_SwNA6-M.jpg

:scratch2: I wonder why?:scratch2: I did both of them..:D Also did the M-4 in the Picture(Tbones)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom