Cables are "Farcical" ????

hkval

(Back in the Day) I used lampcord and was perfectly happy with the results. If someone told me then I would someday spend an amount equal to an expensive piece of electronics, I would have laughed. I know cableing is a controversial topic so I will say at the beginning that this is only my recent personal experience and opinion. In case someone owns the cables I replaced with Wireworld Silver Eclipse Speaker and Interconnects and Wireworld Gold Digital, I will simply refer to them as The Other Cables. I will also leave the technical explanations to the smarter AKERS and describe my reactions from what I am hearing.
The Other Cables:
1.Slighly higher price(More expensive means better, right????)
2.Thicker (Like Filet Mignon, thicker is better)
3.Heavier (In answer to the question "Where is the beef"-here it is.)
4.The speaker cable has a network box in the middle of the cable(like a boa constrictor swallowing its prey)
5.Comes in nicer packaging(one should always judge a book by its cover)

WireWorld:
1.Totally allows the MCD/MDA1000's to do their thing without interfering
2.Creates a huge, silent, inert, invisible soundstage that gives each instrument/voice a place to make an equal contribution.
3.Low volumes are just as impressive, fascinating, mesmerizing, and satisfying as intense levels.
4.I think someone came in the night before they arrived and replaced all my CD's with the same titles but added new sounds on them.
5. Every hour they sound better and better(now have about 30 hours on them)

I know I get carried away writing but I am really excited with my new cables. For me, after many, many years, I feel my system is perfect. I can't wait to put on the next CD because each one is now like an updated version of the old CD. I think I may have cured my severe LuFlu but somehow I think the Master will come up with something to infect the satisfied with a second strain of the virus.
Thanks for all the advice you guys have given me and allowing me to share my recent adventure.

Never reach the top

It's like climbing a huge rounded hill. First few steps, you notice a real difference then the more you walk, the less difference there is. You're never going to reach the top but sooner or later you'll reach the point where other factors come to play.

I know that the new cables I've fitted have improved what I hear because I'm hearing more than I did before; more detail. But to go further with cable improvments would be like pouring premium grade fuel in the tank of a 30 year old car. Next improvement would be a better amplifier. Then, after the next cable upgrade the speakers are going to be called into question. You can go on in this spirel for as long as your bank balance or sanity lets you. And at back of it all, is the memory of how good Pink Floyd sounded 30 years ago when you played 'Us and Them' for the first time. It is possible to reclaim that; I've heard it done but that was at a high end audio show, where the total cost of what I was listening to would have bought me a new car.

Listen and enjoy; watch with awe as the Seeburg LP player misses the record you've selected and plays the B side of the next in line. Then in your quite moments, chill back and enjoy. Listen to the music; not the player, amp, speakers or bits of electrified string that holds it all together. Just enjoy............:smoke::smoke::smoke::drool::

It's like climbing a huge rounded hill. First few steps, you notice a real difference then the more you walk, the less difference there is. You're never going to reach the top but sooner or later you'll reach the point where other factors come to play.

I know that the new cables I've fitted have improved what I hear because I'm hearing more than I did before; more detail. But to go further with cable improvments would be like pouring premium grade fuel in the tank of a 30 year old car. Next improvement would be a better amplifier. Then, after the next cable upgrade the speakers are going to be called into question. You can go on in this spirel for as long as your bank balance or sanity lets you. And at back of it all, is the memory of how good Pink Floyd sounded 30 years ago when you played 'Us and Them' for the first time. It is possible to reclaim that; I've heard it done but that was at a high end audio show, where the total cost of what I was listening to would have bought me a new car.

Listen and enjoy; watch with awe as the Seeburg LP player misses the record you've selected and plays the B side of the next in line. Then in your quite moments, chill back and enjoy. Listen to the music; not the player, amp, speakers or bits of electrified string that holds it all together. Just enjoy............:smoke::smoke::smoke::drool::

All good stuff! I think I've been up & down that hill a few times. :yes:

hkval,

I think you are right on with your assesment. I used to use hardware store grade cables, but since I switched to the silver eclipse(WireWorld) my system seems to be "more". I can definitely hear the difference. I think people that feel that cables are voodoo have systems not of the caliber that can really extract anymore fidelity. You have to have the components to be able to ulitilize the cables. Since I have the Mcs I wanted to extract every bit of performance that I paid for so the cables are definetely a plus. Your system is only as good as the rate limiting factor in the chain of equipment.

P.S. you have a great system BTW:thmbsp:

Thought you were looking to upgrade your speakers?

Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking. So, the cables are cheap by contrast. I moved the speakers out a bit, changed the angle and added the cables and told my wife what she tells me after a day shopping for clothes "You would not believe how much money I just saved". Everything in the system now seems to be of equal quality and the result is outstanding.

When we auditioned much gear and cables with a friend of mine while his was building his "dream system" many years ago, it was only after the full acoustic treatment of his room that we really appreciated and noticed the differences in cables. Yes, there were differences. :yes: Much like an annoying mosquito that can only be heard when it is dark and you are trying to fall asleep, which you would never be able to hear or notice during the day did the difference in cables come through. Some, no make that "most" funds redirected from the "cable budget" into treating the room is a much more effective way of enhancing your system in the beginning. :music:

You should pursue this in the TOL forum. Many more people will see it, chime in, and add to your knowledge! The mods there frown on people crapping on threads about cables and such. Check it out! Great forums out here.:thmbsp: You don't have to own Mac to be interested in other aspects of audio gear. ( I am a Mac owner.):music:

Just a comment

A great Cable should not "change or improve" the sound all it should do is not allow any deterioration of the sound. period

I used to use generic cables,or monster cables,if I saw them on sale.But I got an incredible deal on about 15 pairs of IXOS XHA406 interconnects,and it really opened up the sound.Much,much more detailed,not veiled,like I was used to.I know they arent that high on the food chain,but these really changed my mind about the effects of cables on music.
Jimmy

Just a comment

A great Cable should not "change or improve" the sound all it should do is not allow any deterioration of the sound. period

I completely agree that a "great" cable does not "change or improve" and that is why I said in #1 that it allows the MCD/MDA1000's to perform their magic. The difference was anything but subtle. Simply said - Wireworld and Mac are one HECK of a team.

I have been playing the cable swapping game for almost 20 years. It all stopped when I tried Wireworld cables 8 years ago.

I had always felt in the past that my cables, ie: Speaker, IC's, & PC's were a weak link. Once you realize that cables are in fact a component themselves, it puts a different spin on things.

There are many grades of Wireworld cables currently available. As far as my opinion, their product line starts at the Silver Eclipse.

Congrad's Howard, play that System like you stole it! :thmbsp:

I completely agree that a "great" cable does not "change or improve" and that is why I said in #1 that it allows the MCD/MDA1000's to perform their magic. The difference was anything but subtle. Simply said - Wireworld and Mac are one HECK of a team.

Totally agree.

I'm in the quality but dont go crazy camp for my wire and mostly DIY them. I use the following components...

RCA plugs- DH Labs, Cardas, WBT

IC Wire- Cardas, DH LAbs

Speak wire- OFC 12 ga ropelay (single run or triple braid for my Alon's 6 binding posts) or Mil Spec 22 ga silver teflon braided up to 12 or 14 ga

Spades- Kimber PostKing, audioquest, cardas, DIY using Type "K" copper (98.5% copper 1.5% Silver)

hkval;

where in Naples are you? My parents live in the Veranda @Countryside. Was just there for the first time in July for the kids to visit and to "DO" Disney for a few days.

Hot but a fun time, I was amazed by all the unfinished construction going on, I thought LI was bad.

Back
Top Bottom