Does Anyone Have This Lens?

I have a Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 that is tack sharp. I don't know why I don't use it more than I do.
.....tack sharp image-quality is one thing, overall picture-quality is another....it sounds like your 85 f/1.8 doesn't impress you compared to some of your other lenses....a friend of mine just ordered the new Canon 85 f/1.2....that would be right at a full f-stop of light-gathering ability over your 1.8, plus a much larger grab of the scene to be reduced down to exit pupil size....maybe that one would impress you enough to get more equal time....I'll try to post some of his shots when his 85 gets delivered and he starts using it....

.....a friend of mine just ordered the new Canon 85 f/1.2....I'll try to post some of his shots when his 85 gets delivered and he starts using it....
.....well, I just talked to Stuart, and he sent the 85 f/1.2 back in favor of ordering Canon's best 24-70 f/2.8....he said it would be the best walk-around lens, and he needed it first, to go with his new Canon body that has a full-frame sensor panel, a Mark III or something like that, it's the newest one....I think that was an excellent decision....but it surprises me....when he got the new body two months ago, he bought a $2000 studio lighting setup that would lend to using the 85....never a dull moment with Stuart, he's one of the most intelligent men I've ever known.....

.....Texun, I consider the shots you post in this photography forum to be as good as it gets....I was just saying if your 85 f/1.8 really knocked you out, you'd probably find more opportunities to use it....I love my 85 just as much as my 24-70, I just have to be able to back-up a little more.....

.....Andrea shot a backyard wedding....the 18 year-old bride certainly has pretty blue eyes.....

brideandgroom_zpsb932a95c.jpg

bride-_zpscc8d4916.jpg

.....here's the winner of the 5 year-old and below class, of the Miss Cottontail Pageant
at Lonoke....(Lonoke Jackrabbits).....

11_zpsfa5839c0.jpg

Gorgeous lens. Used to use it before switching to Canon. If I were ever to move back to a Nikon system (probably won't happen and not for the obvious reasons), the 24-70 would be the first lens I'd purchase without a doubt followed by the 70-200/2.8.

I've used and own(ed) the Canon 28-70/2.8, 24-70/2.8 and the 24-105/4 and the Nikon is as good as any of the Canon lenses. With the samples that I've owned, the Nikon was noticeably sharper wide open while all of the Canon lenses close the gap by f4 and become sharper than the Nikon from f5.6 on.

Gorgeous lens. Used to use it before switching to Canon. If I were ever to move back to a Nikon system (probably won't happen and not for the obvious reasons), the 24-70 would be the first lens I'd purchase without a doubt followed by the 70-200/2.8.

I've used and own(ed) the Canon 28-70/2.8, 24-70/2.8 and the 24-105/4 and the Nikon is as good as any of the Canon lenses. With the samples that I've owned, the Nikon was noticeably sharper wide open while all of the Canon lenses close the gap by f4 and become sharper than the Nikon from f5.6 on.
.....should I tell him?....:D.....

You know there's still that whole Nikon vs Canon fanboy club. :D

I'm probably one of the few exceptions where I'm not really loyal to one brand or the other. If all my gear got stolen today, it'd really be a flip of the coin in deciding between Nikon and Canon to start a new DSLR system. Canon still has the edge in diversity of lenses available but in terms of quality of lenses and bodies, it's a toss up and really depends on personal taste rather than quality.

In the end, it's really about the photographer rather than the gear, although much like audio, it's about the music but it sure is nice to have great gear. :D

.....should I tell him?....:D.....

With the samples that I've owned, the Nikon was noticeably sharper wide open while all of the Canon lenses close the gap by f4 and become sharper than the Nikon from f5.6 on.
.....I don't doubt that a bit, Trhee....I feel like I've noticed Canon's image-quality to be a bit crisper than Nikon's....but, imo, another part of picture-quality, colors and their saturation, go to Nikon....I guess if you could take Canon's image-quality and merge it with Nikon's colors and saturations, maybe that would be the camera to own, I don't know.....

You know there's still that whole Nikon vs Canon fanboy club. :D
.....Trhee, what I meant by "should I tell him?," is that this thread started on the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8, and I ended up buying a Sony A900 body and three of the Sony/Zeiss lenses....I couldn't help myself, I heard Carl callin' me....in the past, I owned a Contax RTS body with a Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 T* Planar lens....loved what I got with it.....

Last edited:
It all depends on sample to sample variation as I've purchased the same lenses which performed slightly different or had issues with back or front focus. One of the reasons why I always purchase from B&H as their return policy is generous.

.....I don't doubt that a bit, Trhee....I feel like I've noticed Canon's image-quality to be a bit crisper than Nikon's....but, imo, another part of picture-quality, colors and their saturation, go to Nikon....I guess if you could take Canon's image-quality and merge it with Nikon's colors and saturations, maybe that would be the camera to own, I don't know.....

My former boss bought a Sony full frame body (forget which one) along with a few lenses. Very nice indeed.

I also used to shoot with Contax (film) along with Nikon film bodies and lenses. One thing I very much regret to this day is having sold all my Zeiss prime lenses. They were some of the best lenses I've ever owned in terms of build quality and performance.

.....Trhee, what I meant by "should I tell him?," is that this thread started on the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8, and I ended up buying a Sony A900 body and three of the Sony/Zeiss lenses....I couldn't help myself, I heard Carl callin' me....in the past, I owned a Contax RTS body with a Zeiss 50mm T* Planar lens....loved what I got with it.....

.....helped Andrea with a shoot at Lonoke about two weeks ago that was a pretty good money-maker....for us, anyway....five couples who were going to the senior high prom two hours later....we only had one monopod plate with us, so I gave it to Andrea and that left me hand-holding....here's some I took with the 24-70 zoom.....

Last edited:
.....guys, this girl just turned 14....her date for the prom is in high school....she will leave a string of broken hearts, imo.....

.....this guy's got a future....I talked to him for a couple of minutes after the shoot....he was totally calm, and handled himself quite well, smiling the whole time....it was obvious during the shoot the other kids liked him as well.....

Last One

.....just my luck....the last shot of the group of five couples made on the porch and porch steps....can
you see why we had to use the shot before it?.....

.....just my luck....the last shot of the group of five couples made on the porch and porch steps....can
you see why we had to use the shot before it?.....

Yep, the girl on the right is not looking at the camera. :no:
And I would have put the taller guys in the middle?

I would have put the taller guys in the middle?
.....normally I would have done the same, Will, but using fill-in flash, a white suit needs to be toned down as much as possible as per placement....a white tux or suit will help "too much" setting the meter, and everything else in the picture will be some measure of underexposed....hide the white clothes and you get much more of an even exposure on the first shot, but bracket a click or two in the needed direction, anyway....also, if you're taking a picture of 3-4 females, and one of them has a white dress, shoot them from an angle with the white dress furthest away from the camera....yes, place her on the low end of the angle....you'll still probably have to bracket the master brightness a click or two up, for the picture-quality's sake.....

Last edited:
.....Andrea's uncomfortable with the new A99 body....she shoots auto-everything, and that can bite you
on the butt with the aperture of the lens, and auto-ISO must have the correct range set....I think I'm
going to take it for a couple of weeks and try to figure some things out for her....it's got some really
neat features....she shot this last Saturday with an A900 body W/fill-in flash.....

Back
Top Bottom