Epi speakers 6 feet tall?

freQ(*)Oddio

I had a guy I was talking to about me liking hifi , I have talked about this on a Marantz thread about him leaving a old "stereo" for me on his porch for me to take , it is a Marantz 4400, anyway at the time he said he had some epi speakers he bought in the late 70s ,with the Marantz he gave me. I didn't ask about the speakers because , I have been selling many of my speakers, too many, besides..... I pictured a old set of small speakers needing a re foam, u know another project piled in the basement. So I get reading on here about the cult like following of epi speakers, and how great they sound , so I get thinking and call the guy .....to say the receiver is going great, and thanks so much I will never part with it, also you said you had some speakers that were purchased new with this receiver, I would possibly buy them for a project, can you tell me if the woofer foam surround are missing? he says "i don't know about the woofers "i don't know if you would even want them they are almost 6 feet tall and gotta weigh 200lb they are dinosaurs," huhh? I was not expecting this guy to say that in a million years! then he says" but you can stop and look sometime not today maybe a night next week" Amazing that some audiophiles are still offline and unaware yet of what they have, I will post pics as soon I see them. Sounds like has to be the Epi 1000s from some of your Epi threads.

If you have the room and, most importantly, the power to properly drive them I would grab them before this guy wakes up. It is one of the greatest speaker systems ever built. If you need to refoam the woofs that would be a small price to pat to return these to their original capabilities.

Yeah, I would snag another pair if I came across them. I bought mine, restored them and eventually sold them off. But that is just what I like to do, I love testing out many different things in this hobby. I think you will like them and a member recently posted a restore on his M1000's. He will chime in I'm sure and he is a great resource for some guidance and you will benefit from chatting with him if you get these.

Hey Galaxie. I must say that the Epi 1000 are the best speakers I've ever owned and probably will continue to be. I'll be buried in mine one day...lol Should yours need restoration please ask or pop along the thread I had created after purchasing a pair 5/10 in condition and put them back to better then new: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/epicure-m-1000.647439/ Sae, above, really knows Epi and has far more experience with their products, especially their early kit like the 1000s than anyone on here, I'm guessing.
All I can say is a fabulous score. He's right about power. They will sound very nice with your Marantz however I think you might consider mating them with a proper power amp and they will bring a smile to your face.....and loosen up the nails in your floor, walls and ceiling... ;-)
Kudos to you mate and enjoy!
Thanks, If I end up with the 1000s, The Marantz will be my preamp, I will need a high dampening factor, high wattage power amp, I will be searching in the used $400 range. That may not get much lol. I like a sansui transformers dampening. There is a magic that happens when every kick drum hit is instantly as powerful as the last, that's the control sound we may not even know is happening. We just like "that" amp.

Thanks, If I end up with the 1000s, The Marantz will be my preamp, I will need a high dampening factor, high wattage power amp, I will be searching in the used $400 range. That may not get much lol. I like a sansui transformers dampening. There is a magic that happens when every kick drum hit is instantly as powerful as the last, that's the control sound we may not even know is happening. We just like "that" amp.

Actually if you want a nice amp snag a Sony ES N80ES. You can usually get them around that price and they will feed those 1000s. I didn't a lot a various trials using tube amps, mono blocks and they were very fun. Had them at a local ak meet with a OTL 1212 100wpc tube amp and it was awesome. Lots of people were impressed with the performance of the epi. I honestly really miss my old M602s, those were one of my favorite pairs.

And, what are you trying to say?
I really believe he thinks his stuff is outdated and un valuable..... if he knew what he had, he would have sold me this Marantz for $1000, not given it to a new friend, maybe he wants too much or the epi's , maybe they have been in his way for 10 years, sounds like this is not his hobby, not online, and he doesn't care and don't want to be bothered. Strange ? we shall see, and upload some pics either way!

Strange ?

Not really, but like I mentioned karma to saea501 I guess I will to you as well. If you feel the man is oblivious to value, and your willing not to mention it that's not cool at all. From the the OP it sounded like you met someone who just wanted to give something to someone who will enjoy it. Put it into the right hands if you know what I mean, since he no longer needs it and just wanted to do something nice.

I'v given things away since I din't need them anymore and the person receiving would take care of it.

But if your trying to be dishonest, like someone saying I have a receiver I don't use anymore do you want it, and you don't say " You know that those are in demand and people pay a lot for them? are you sure you don't want something for it? then giving them the opportunity to make an informed decision, set a price or give it to you anyway.

"i don't know if you would even want them they are almost 6 feet tall and gotta weigh 200lb they are dinosaurs," huhh?

I take this as the elephant in the room, it take a special person and space to have these due to there size.

I really believe he thinks his stuff is outdated and un valuable..... if he knew what he had, he would have sold me this Marantz for $1000, not given it to a new friend,

If you truly believe this and you didn't ask question and talk to him as I stated above I have pity for your moral character.

not given it to a new friend,

Yeah, what new friend....

Ok couldn't stand it, called him up again, he said the system was purchased in a audio store in Plattsburgh NY (a hour south of Canadian border) He wanted a nice stereo in 70s, and had $ at the time, This Marantz was playing through 4 speakers, the fronts were off white flat panel speakers,( must of been quads esl) and the big epi's were behind him, The store owner said , if they are too tall for your room, they could be placed horizontal on the floor against the side walls, They sounded great, he struck a deal and bought the receiver and speakers. I guarantee they were hard to sell because of the size, so they would tell the customers anything to sell them in a small town audio store, even laying them on the floor. Sounds like size was a issue, but sound was unforgettable.

Last edited:
I love the way some are being judgmental when it's nobody's business except for the two parties involved. Always good to get moral direction from an audio site.
Always good as bits and pieces of the story comes out who we're really talking to on line.

Personally in good conscience no matter who it was, I could not take something form someone that is unaware of the value they are giving away or selling at a severely under valued price.

Not really, but like I mentioned karma to saea501 I guess I will to you as well. If you feel the man is oblivious to value, and your willing not to mention it that's not cool at all. From the the OP it sounded like you met someone who just wanted to give something to someone who will enjoy it. Put it into the right hands if you know what I mean, since he no longer needs it and just wanted to do something nice.

I'v given things away since I din't need them anymore and the person receiving would take care of it.

But if your trying to be dishonest, like someone saying I have a receiver I don't use anymore do you want it, and you don't say " You know that those are in demand and people pay a lot for them? are you sure you don't want something for it? then giving them the opportunity to make an informed decision, set a price or give it to you anyway.

I take this as the elephant in the room, it take a special person and space to have these due to there size.

If you truly believe this and you didn't ask question and talk to him as I stated above I have pity for your moral character.

Yeah, what new friend....
We have enjoyed pictures of the before and after of his old Marantz, with the broken power switch, non working scope, shorted driver board plug in, lamps out, scratchy pots, intermittent channels from remote switch, i spent sleepless nights, hours scratching my head over the scope issue, He is happier than I am, because it is working and will be passed down again, and hopefully he will listen again someday, I even purchased a set of tiny NHT super ones on craigslist to show up at his home with the receivers cleaned pots, and a shiny new face. He felt my passion, in conversation and knew it was a good home. A better home than the trash where it could have ended up. A restoration on this receiver is a $1k he or I don't have, gonna be a good day !

I have had people just give me components and speakers. I try to give them something, even a few greenbacks since parts are so hard to find and I appreciate the gift. I like the bottle of wine idea- maybe find out what his interests are and find something he may like. Karma is hard to define, but is something we all understand. I rarely see such gear when thrift shopping in the ADK region.

if he knew what he had, he would have sold me this Marantz for $1000

We have enjoyed pictures of the before and after of his old Marantz, with the broken power switch, non working scope, shorted driver board plug in, lamps out, scratchy pots, intermittent channels from remote switch, i spent sleepless nights, hours scratching my head over the scope issue, He is happier than I am, because it is working and will be passed down again, and hopefully he will listen again someday, I even purchased a set of tiny NHT super ones on craigslist to show up at his home with the receivers cleaned pots, and a shiny new face. He felt my passion, in conversation and knew it was a good home. A better home than the trash where it could have ended up. A restoration on this receiver is a $1k he or I don't have, gonna be a good day !

So he didn't really have a $1000 unit? Why are you saying he did?

Like I said I'v given many things away working and things that went out and know the value anyway. However if I can put it into the hands where someone can fix, and or enjoy it that's a plus for me, and the money or value is nothing.

But the story has been in this thread, that this guy is a dump ass and giving me who he hardly knows thousands of dollars in equipment. Sooooo the story is now changing, I wonder why...:idea:

Back
Top Bottom