The AudioKarma "I Just don't Get It" thread.....

There is a work around, go to www.mail2web.com and using the secure link, log into your mail and you will see what is in your mailbox. From there you can read it or delete it without having to download it first.

Rob

rwortman said:
Middle class white kids driving BMW's whilst cranking up the ghetto rap. Just what is it about this music that resonates with their life experience?
"Cool" clothing that makes skinny girls look fat.
High priced wires.
Miracle tweaks that are without even the slightest hint of a reason they might work and the people that call me either deaf for not hearing a difference or a philistine for not trying them. ( intelligent chips, magic pebbles, frozen CD's etc) The mantra "you can't know if you don't try" is stupid. As I like to say to them, "I have never tried to run my car on ginger ale and I still know for a fact that it won't work."
"Music lovers" that think anyone that likes something they don't has no taste.
Megadollar amplifiers that can be held in one hand and put out 3 watts. Are you paying for some magic incantations the builder said over it?
People that feel they have to choose sides in the CD/vinyl debate and defend their positions with the same zeal as the Pro Choice/Pro Life demagogues.
Harley Davidsons with no mufflers.
Harley Davidsons with mufflers. Why are overpriced, overweight, underpowered, poor handling motorcycles all the rage? Something tells me this is somehow related to the Nascar and SUV phenomena.
Audio reviewers with no technical background coming up with psuedotechnical explanations for stuff that somehow become holy scripture in the audio community. Can you say "microdiodes", "cable break in", "CD clarifier"?

I could go on and on......

Please do.............I'm in TOTAL agreement with all your pet peeves.
Here's another one: People who hold up the express Line in the supermarket because they're buying a bag of chips, a bottle of soda, and a pack of cigarettes with a damned CREDIT CARD!!! What the hell is THAT all about. :confused:

How about the dork who passes you just before the toll booth on the Garden State Parkway, gets up to the exact cash toss and does not have exact cash! The GSP is by far the dumbest toll road I have ever been on and dorks like this guy add to the stress. Just about the time I get the cruise set, another dumb toll- WTF??????

Gary

We stopped using the Garden State PKY on trips from MA to MD some years ago, and now take the Palisades Pky to the Joisey Tpk. Cut 1/2 hour off of our trip.

I hear ya MH6647, I too would avoid it every chance I get.
Guess I shouldn't complain too loud, here in Middletown the Miracle Mile shopping section has about 12 Stop Lights, All timed so you have to stop at every one of them unless you have a rocket that will do the quarter mile in under 7 seconds. They wonder why polution is becomming a problem! Must be it is good to have everyone sitting around at idle half the day rather then just getting where they are going and shuting the car off.

Who started this bitch session anyway Kam???

Gary

Young kids who install a big ole' muffler on thier 4 cylinder car and 'magically' it now has 500 hp and they try to race everyone on the road while the sickening sounds of a chainsaw with a cold can be heard. :thumbsdn:

People who can't drive well to begin with yet insist on a cell phone in thier ear while they attempt to drive. :nono:

People in the grocery store blocking the isle with thier basket while that 'chit chat' on a cell phone.

The 'Player' in the store/restaurant who has loud converstions on a cell phone trying to draw attention to themselves? Hey! Dipsh*t EVERYBODY has a cell phone your not impressing any 'beacthes' up n here Dumba$$! :nono:

Turn signals that are option on many vehicles in this area? :scratch2:

People who personify thier pets and treat them better than they do other people. It's OK to kill some person but Damn you if you even look at my pet sideways!! :no:

Plastic body parts for cars even very expensive upscale ones. What happened to metal? :dunno:

OK I am tired for the moment someone else take over!! :boring:

The Porsche SUV.

Why spend 50 years building sports cars -- and ONLY sports cars -- then produce a truck, violating the spirit of everything that has gone before?

Rick

Hey... Ferrari built some "4 seaters", and Maserati a four-door (quattroporte)!
img07pop.jpg

Lamborghini built a pretty serious SUV at one time, too.
lambolm002_445_295_80_0.jpg

'sides, the Porsche SUV is NOT a truck... most SUV's introduced in recent years aren't trucks... they're cars that sit 'way up high.

doodledog said:
The Porsche SUV. Why spend 50 years building sports cars -- and ONLY sports cars -- then produce a truck, violating the spirit of everything that has gone before?

WTF??? You mean people debate cars just like audio gear?????

Last edited:
Things that make me wonder...

People arguing about the "lack of quality" of a given piece of gear, without actually owning it, then suggesting another piece is better, then not listening to my valid arguments despite the fact I own both the units in question. I have no real bias despite my Fisher avatar, I have over 80 receivers, just speaking from experience. You'd think I started a war sometimes (and it does not even have to be on AK, even talking to people at work!)

Audiophile power cords. Your house has hundreds of feet of standard grade Romex wiring run through it in all sorts of questionable bends and directions. You buy a $1000+ 3 foot cord to connect to the receptacle in the wall where this wiring mess finally ends. The fact that it is "spiral braided" with an insulation made from the hair of a Lama, Yak and a Camel bred in the high northwest regions of a country whose name no one can pronounce, is going to do what for sound quality? 3 feet vs hundreds of feet, what do you think has more impact.

Power line conditioners, to a degree its the right thing to remove unwanted variances in line voltage and interference, only for the protection of the equipment. It is the claims of "more black silence" and other such remarks that make you wonder what does it actually do for sound quality? I have some fancy "Kleen Line Noise Supressor" bought it at the thrift for $2. It has green LEDs, it looks expensive. It cost a lot to whomever purchased it. You'd be hard pressed to notice anything other than the fact that it is cosmetically cool. I've had it hooked up to my MCS 3125 for ages and never noticed any related improvement in sound quality.

Catch phrases relating to nothing to describe some sort of rediculously expensive piece of gear. "More black silence" anyone?

Kabuki speakers, I admit I own some (for no other reason than they were cheap), but you want a speaker with 12 midranges and 48 tweeters to pierce your ears with shrill harsh sound? I'd just as soon take a two way job that sounds good. When you have a hard time listening to the speakers in their "soft" mode... geez, I feel sorry for anyone listening to them in "brilliant", maybe with a tube amp, but thats another story...

Kamakiri said:
Have you ever looked at the posts on the board, clicked on a thread, and wondered.... :wtf:

In this thread, we'll explore your :wtf: 's :)

Now, this thread will be for the :wtf: 's only, and not people defending their positions, or gear, or whatever. And, this isn't about gear you hate, as in the other thread, but rather things that seem to get hoopla, and you can't figure out why....

Get it? :)

Okay, now here's your turn......no rebuttals, just an opportunity for YOU to ask, :wtf:

:nono:
I see everyone really paid attention and did exactly what you said. . . In a Pig's Ass. . .:nono:

I especially like the "No Rebuttals" instruction. . . I see everyone listened intently to that one. . . :nono:

:wtf:

Well, further to the replies above, the term "SUV" winds me up.

Why "sports utility"? There is nothing sporty about these vehicles and i always thought a utility vehicle was a dustbin lorry.

They are "off-roaders" or "4x4's" or in the case of the Cayenne - pointless!! :D

Negotiableterms said:
Who cares what went before? .

Anyone who believes the name Porsche means more than just a designer label, that's who. Not unlike saying who cares what Marantz, Pioneer and Sansui built 30 years ago compared to the stuff that bears their names today.

If you're happy with your Cayenne, fine, enjoy it.

But don't try to tell those of us who have lusted after 356s and 911s since we were old enough to know what one was that it represents the heart and soul of the company Dr. Porsche founded.

Rick

Hey, Lets lighten this up a bit! Drive what ever you like and can afford.

:wtf: is up with Muddy Ducks avitar? Now that gal can fish!!! :D

Gary

Lefty said:
WTF.... why can't one buy real drugs in a drug store?

Lefty

Right. . . Why wont insurance companies pay for real drugs instead of forcing us to use another "similiar" one that saves them money regardless of what you and your Doctor think is best. . .

Outright Snobbery

Picked up a pair of old Fisher Xp-4's a while back for $20 and one of the dome tweeters had a soft spot and one midrange cone was torn. I wanted to replace the damaged tweeter and had heard of a speaker reconing joint in a nearby City and decided to call them to see if they could repair the original drivers or had replacements, basically to see what they thought was appropriate rather than just immediately replacing drivers. I called the store and the guy says : Come on in partner we have dozens of those drivers laying around and in fact have drivers for that particular model lying around somewhere. I instantly think to myself that this is so cool, having a store nearby that is in to vintage speakers and such so I decide to take the 35 mile drive to check this guy out and see what he had. I get there the next day was greeted by two guy's who said "Your the Fisher XP-4 guy" and I said yup that's me and showed them the damaged drivers, I am looking around and notice many very tall tower style new speakers in two separate rooms and one of the rooms was filled with a mix of vintage gear and a few newer pieces but mostly vintage stuff and all was very shiny and pretty to look at but no consistent trend as to what was being offered.

I asked the older of the two guy's who seemed to be in charge whether or not the dome was replaceable and he immediatley says no, domes cannot be repaired under any circumstances, they are not serviceable! He asks what is wrong with mine and I show him a soft spot just off center approx. 1/2 inch in diameter and he says, yah so what? I said that I thought the soft spot would impair the tweeter's ability to play properly and he says that I was nuts and that I would never ever be able to tell the difference in sound without very expensive test equipment and he then asks if I owned any very expensive equipment to which of course I replied heck no and was just asking. He then says that he would be right back and after a minute or so he appeared with a pair of the very same tweeters in his hand and also pointed out a pair of Fisher XP series speakers that he had on display, one of the tweeters was worse than mine and one seemed to be O.K. and while I was looking at them he started to explain about how he was not really in to this sort of thing (translated : no money in it for him) and how vintage speakers were complete crap and that good sound "just is'nt there" and proceeds to spin around a cube style speaker sort of like an Altec Santana and behind it is this absoltely huge fricken board full of gigantic coils and capacitors the same size as the entire back side and proudly proclaims that this is what he does!!! He says further that he typically deals in custom built speaker systems costing a minimum of $20,000 and up and was basically saying that he has no time for people like me and was asking where I get some of my ideas on sound from at which point I proudly proclaim that I am a member of AK and say that there are many people that have a love for audio in general and especially like vintage gear for it's build quality etc. and that is a great hobby, he says he never heard of AK.

It is at this time that both of these guy's are standing there with their arms folded in very pompus poses that I realize this is definately no place I would ever wish to do business with. He rants on that he is one of the most famous speaker builder's in the world and that his "obviously the largest in the world" crossovers were the best in the world as well. I continued to try to explain to him how us peasants feel that there IS considerable value in vintage speakers and gear and that we are quite happy with our mixed breed systems and frankly do not hear all the alleged difference's between expenditures of under $1,000 in vintage gear versus $10,000 plus for exotic new & custom built systems and yes I told that I have indeed heard many speaker systems priced in excess of $5,000 & $10,000 and almost always was unimpressed. I say to him that none of this is any big deal to me because these were just a cheap pair fixer upper's that I was rebuilding for my 14 year old son for his bedroom to which he replies, well you can buy the one good tweeter for $30 and I politely said no thanks because I was sure that the pair of tweeters which were not considered to be very good in the first place was probably not worth any more than $10 or $15 on epay etc. and that I already ordered new drivers from Parts express (he frowned at this moment). I quickly ask him before I leave about speaker reconing and what his typical charge is to refoam a pair of 15's, he snaps at me stating that there is no typical charge (translated : you cannot afford my services) and that he always replaces the spider & voice coil because they are always damaged and I said, well what if they are not damaged? he says THEY ARE ALWAYS JUNK, so I say inside my head alrighty then, never mind my question I am sorry that I asked. What happened to "You will never hear the difference without expensive test equipment you ignorant fool"

So I left thinking :wtf: why is this arrogant man cutting me down and telling me that all vintage speakers and gear are total shit when over half his store is filled with it??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Further more his so called masterpiece crossover's looked more like pile of wire with nothing more than an unquenchable thirst for soaking up valuable program material, I have always heard that best signal path from source to speakers is the shortest and least complicated so :wtf: is up with this guy? and guy's like him. I left pissed off and never even had a chance to hear his $20,000 world famous speakers which I am glad I did'nt because I am almost sure that we would have went to the mat after I would have told him that they don't sound any better that my 45 year old shit boxes!!!!!!!!!! well maybe that would have been my conclusion and then again maybe not, he will never know beacuse he never gave me a chance and preferred to pound it in to my head that I was not in his league and therefore not worthy to be in his store, and why in the hell would he be such a dick to a potential customer, he had no way of knowing that I was not one or did not know of anyone that could have been. I wanted to tell him that the round coned drivers still in use today were invented in the 1920's and that he was not doing anything earth shattering that has not been done before to death

That is my :wtf: I guess it takes a platinum mastercard and and a roll of hundreds for people like that to be nice to you.

Thanks for reading this far! I had to get that off my chest because I hate money grubbing snobs like that :)

Last edited:
Snob Shops / Shea Tweak

:wtf: Staffed by 18 year old kids who are brainwashed into thinking that they and only they know true Hi-Fidelity. Let one of us older boomers just walk into the store and instantly arms fold and eyes roll thinking they are fixing to get a sermon from some prehistoric analog worshiper that couldn't tell his ass from a speaker wire much less an AC coupler. . .

Want to ruin their whole day?? Ask for a discount. . .Watch them wiggle around in agony like they are fixing to have a panic attack thinking someone important might walk in seeing them conversing with the lower class much less talking discounts. . . "Oh no we don't give no discounts" "The gear we sell is just so damn important that everyone knows that you never ask for a discount, I mean if you have to ask then you must have been caught up in a time warp because surely no one asks the price let alone for a discount. . .

I love to listen to them describe what good sound really is as they see it. I learn words the human mouth cannot speak but this gibberish rolls off their tongues like the bottle of Ripple I just drank rolls off of mine. . . You don't go into one of these places sober or unprotected, must be ready at all times. These guys speak a language not many of us understand and we need to be ready just in case they are telling us off or explaining the meaning of life. . .

I always bring a "rubber" and the vasoline and assume the position whenever I visit one of these places just in case I might want to buy something. . . They sell cigarettes right????

RE : Snob shops

I would not have been so damn put off and offended if the guy had shown me something really different like maybe a speaker with no moving parts that creates 150 db on 1 watt then maybe then I would have said WOWEE ZOWEE that certainly is worth $20,000 you sir are truly the worlds most inventive and greatest speaker designer / builder :D

But to be surrounded by vintage gear and speakers as well and have this guy show me speaker driver technology invented over 50 years ago and claim he is doing something with it so special and groundbreaking is just offensive, sure the Ginormous crossover's looked cool but that is about it and hardly enough to bring the cost of maybe a few thousand dollars of overpriced drivers and wiring etc. to over $20,000

In a word.............Whatever Dude :smoke:

Back
Top Bottom