Upgrading QLS-1 crossover to version 2.

I wonder how much power is going thru those. Best to go with the original value. The amazon one looks very stout compared to the one I linked to. Looks like it has an open back. I'm sure you could shield it in some fashion. You may have to move some components around but it is similar in size. Thanks for that link.
Jim

And the 25 watt pot is only 2 mm wider than the 15 watt one. Maybe I could use the tweeter pot in place of the mid dome pot and put the larger replacement in the tweeter pot position since there's more room up there.

Well OK! We got the pot out, rebuilt it, and it's back in the speaker! Thanks Rob! The internals had come apart, the "wiper" came off the shaft, so I drilled the shaft and and tapped a 4-40 screw hole and screwed it back on.

Next time I happen to be inside the QLS-1 cabinet, I'll seriously think consider bypassing those irksome pots, replacing them with some Mills wire wound resistors of choice.:beerchug:.

I find myself fooling around with the knobs too much to have a fixed value. Maybe something like what the did for the tweeter and have at least a couple choices of fixed values.

With some help, I have re-positioned these speakers AGAIN. Just moving them back one foot, moving the listening spot back three feet, and toeing them a lot, made the center image finally snap into place! Now I'm really hearing what these speakers are capable of.

I wish I had a larger room...

With the last set up, the stereo image was great but the sweet spot was very small. It was like having my head in a vice, if I moved at all, voices and instruments moved around. I ran a few test tones and discovered weird phasing throughout the room.

So I moved the speakers so that they have zero toe in. Most of the phase issues are gone! But when I moved the speakers closer together, some of the problem returned. Weird!

Back
Top Bottom