• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Antique audio antenna

toronado

Active Member
047.jpgI found this old radio antenna at a local flea market. I was looking for an antenna for fm stereo. Wondered if anybody has seen one like it before. It is so cool. Not interested in selling it, just wonderin.:music:
 
Register to hide this ad
I'd guess it's an old tv antenna. And, it might just work pretty well for fm, depending on the frequency of your favorite station. Hook the sucker up and give it a try.
 
t looks to be from the 1930's. I think it is too old to be for tv. However, I hooked it up and it is fantastic.
 
To me it looks like a late 50s UHF television antenna from the period when the UHF TV band was first introduced. If it is, the triangle shaped elements are far too small to be ideal for the FM broadcast band. A set of simple rabbit ears about 30" ~ 31" long or a simple wire "T" dipole will work better. There is no harm in trying your cool looking antenna though.
 
Thanks all for your comments. I hadn't thought about the twin leads. That makes a lot of sense. Also, they didn't have plastic wire back then either.
 
I am getting fantastic reception of local stations. However, I am on the second floor of a tall two storey building. The design looks like art deco from the 1930's, tho they used it in the fiftys too. Also, the brown bakelite center looks like 1930's.
 
If you are on the second floor then that helps your reception. In the FM band a dipole antenna like that needs to be about 1.4 meters across to be optimal.
 
If it works, it works. There are many variables that determine how well an antenna will work in a given application. The biggest ones are dimensions (bigger is better), height (higher is better), directional alignment with the radio station, and distance to the radio station.

I like to think of antennas as sails that catch electro-wind :D
 
ebacon, great analogy. Again, thanks for the info. I was just looking at it. I have it sitting about 2 foot from my antenna, so the wires are also probably serving as antenna too.
 
I looked at it further. It says RMS F-4 on the bottom. I wonder if it was modified in the 50's with twin lead wire. It does have an extra slot on the back that looks like it held something.
 
Back
Top Bottom