• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

No sound at all from my 1000x

andrea.led

New Member
Arrived today from Ebay. No sound, no buzzing from the speakers, no sound from the headphones, nothing, lights are ok, pre-out is ok (i'm driving an amp). Any Help ?
Bye from Andrea
 
Register to hide this ad
wish i had the answer but i know some of the sansui guys schould know. being from italy you must be one of the tifosi.;)
 
Andrea- Can you provide more details? ===> Did you buy this receiver from Ebay Italy or here in the U.S.? Did the Seller state in his auction that the receiver was working 100% or did he/she mention any possible problems? You say that the receiver works ok only when its switched into its preamp section? -> (if so, that would seem to indicate a problem with its power amp section)

B/F
 
Picked from Germany. Wrote an email to the seller yesterday night but still no reply... ok, let's assume that the receiver started ok...the strange behaviour is the complete lack of any kind of sound from the speakers: is it possible that the final transistors (2sc494 toshiba) are gone ? Both channels? (seems strange to me). When the final devices go down you can still hear some kind of sound ? (buzzing or humming ....or complete silence ?). With a tester I touched the wires that go out from the fuses "boxes" (the protection fuses right and left), there's 60/50 v and the fuses are all right. The fuse is in series with the speaker or is there something between the speakers and the fuse ?
Thanks again and sorry for my poor english
Andrea
 
Hi Andrea
The fuses are of the type Quick Acting and they are meant to protect the Power Transistors to blow. They are connected in series with voltage supply for the transistors. Don´t replace this type of fuse with an ordinary type of fuse which is too slow to act as a protector. The original Power Transistors are 2SD260 and the specs are 100V, 5A 50W.
For 2SC494 which you said was installed the specs are 50V, 5A, 50W.
The voltage feed to the transistors shall be 58V (you checked 60/50).
It seems to me that the transistors are overloaded. Replace them with original or the sustitute 2SD188A or 2SC2261. You also have to check the driver transistors.
 
The seller replies (in a poorer english than mine....I hope)

Hello Andrea,

thank you for the Email! I can not understaind why the Sansui had not
Sound. I have this checking before I bring this to the Post Office. Can
you tell me why had this not Sound?
Have you Question in a Hifi Shop why had this not Sound. Please give me
a Email. I hope that this not a big Problem is with the Technic. I wait
for your answer.
***
Thanks to all the fans for trying to fix my troubles...I'll keep searching for the final devices...I've got an idea: maybe a total lack of PS to the amp stage ? (no....the fuses are ok and they are in series with the toshibas....) What worries me actually is THE TOTAL MUTING....only the lights on remember me that something is streaming throught the wires (not sound....). Are you sure that when the final stage is "kaputt" no sounds at all from the speakers ?
Thanks again...
Andrea
 
news...

I disconnected the deateachable pcb (the driver stage) and deoxidazed the contacts with a spray.. .I switched to the headphone and now I hear something !...huge distortion from both channels. and very very low volume..but at least I hear something...maybe the shipping disconnected or moved the contacts (it's just like a PC card, vga-like connector)...so maybe the drivers transistors could lead to a big distortion if faulty, or is it more a question of the final stage ? I think that if just one of the pair of the transistor of the final stage is gone the other one trying to amplify just one of the half waves leads to a big distortion (half the signal and low power).
Could be ?
Just another question: seems strange to me that both the final drivers are the same toshiba npn...is it possible? Not one npn and the other pnp ? Isn't it ?
Bye
Here in Italy is late night....
 
Hi Andrea
If you have two NPN Driver Transistors it´s really wrong.
The drivers are 2SC959 (NPN) and 2SA606 (PNP) It seems that you really need the Service Manual. It´s a good investment.
 
Yes, I was talking about the power transistors..2SC494...Toshiba....by the way....it would be rather hard to find them.....or do you have a source?
 
Hi Andrea
See what I wrote to you a few days ago:

The original Power Transistors are 2SD260 and the specs are 100V, 5A 50W.
For 2SC494 which you said was installed the specs are 50V, 5A, 50W.
The voltage feed to the transistors shall be 58V (you checked 60/50).
It seems to me that the transistors are overloaded. Replace them with original or the sustitute 2SD188A or 2SC2261. You also have to check the driver transistors.

Forget about 2SC494
 
Good news !!

All right Fans !! I was thinking about something involving the power supply..., semmed strange to me that BOTH channels were gone..and I was right ! Changed a little transistor in the power supply unit dedicated to the driver stage (all the other components were...too good looking) and voilà !!
First thought: thank to all you guys, second: what a nice sound, I expected a "cotton" warm sound, and yes, there is warm, but there is also a very detailed sound for the seventies (my marantz 1060, that age, was much more confused)
Bye from Genoa, Italy
Andrea
 
Back
Top Bottom