• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Brett A's Playlist.

Brett a

~◦●○o0o○●◦~
The one thing I can't get enough of in this world is me. For those of you who feel the same, I'm going ahead with an idea I had three years ago, but never acted on; a personal playlist thread.

My motivation for doing it is to have a record of my listening habits that I might look back at and see interesting correlations. (Seasons, life events, new artist discoveries). And if someone else finds something good they didn't know about, then it'll be worth the bandwidth IMO.

I thought for a long time (3 years) about starting yet another "playlist" thread. But just the fact that there already are so many, there really can't be an argument for centralization.

I'll try to be as thorough as I can. If you want to chime in with comments or questions, please do.

If you think this is simply another exercise in self-absorption, then, well...have you looked around the rest of the internet lately?

Here goes

July 10th, 2012
EDIT TO ADD


A few weeks into this and I can say that this list is comprehensive. I have manged to post everything I've listened to (for music anyway). Even if I only played one song (I'll let you know when that's the case)



:thmbsp:
 

Attachments

  • Ice Cube_.jpg
    Ice Cube_.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 566
  • Forbert What Kind_.jpg
    Forbert What Kind_.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 572
  • Forbert Just Like_.jpg
    Forbert Just Like_.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 574
  • joni-mitchell-blue-660125.jpeg
    joni-mitchell-blue-660125.jpeg
    40.2 KB · Views: 563
  • sh-bbh_lg.jpg
    sh-bbh_lg.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 568
  • TromboneShorty_ForTrue.jpg
    TromboneShorty_ForTrue.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 557
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad

Last night after dinner:


Joni Mitchell - Blue (LP)

attachment.php


Sean Hayes - Big Black Hole and Little Baby Star
attachment.php


Trombone Shorty - Like True
attachment.php


Mongo Santamaria - greatest hits
attachment.php




This morning:

What Kind of Guy: The Best of Steve Forbert
attachment.php


in the car on the way to work:
Steve Forbert - Just Like There's Nothin' to it.
attachment.php


Ice Cube - Bootlegs and B-Sides
attachment.php
 
What about this one:
51vw%2BiNl-gL._SS400_.jpg


Just kidding. I think it's a cool idea and I'll watch because I'm sure I'll catch some new (to me) stuff.

The only Steve Forbert I've heard is Romeo's Tune, which I really like. How does the rest of his stuff compare to that one? A recommendation for a starting point with his work? Usually I go for a Greatest Hits first and work backward from there but sometimes greatest hits albums really aren't.
 
The only Steve Forbert I've heard is Romeo's Tune, which I really like. How does the rest of his stuff compare to that one? A recommendation for a starting point with his work? Usually I go for a Greatest Hits first and work backward from there but sometimes greatest hits albums really aren't.

Romeo's Tune comes from Jackrabbit Slim, his 2nd album. It's probably his best, but his first, Alive on Arrival, and the third, Little Stevie Orbit, are also very good.

He never made it as big as it his talent warranted IMHO.
 
Romeo's Tune comes from Jackrabbit Slim, his 2nd album. It's probably his best, but his first, Alive on Arrival, and the third, Little Stevie Orbit, are also very good.

He never made it as big as it his talent warranted IMHO.
So true, Finn. I'm just getting into him after Romeo's tune appeared in my head the other day. Turns out he's a lot more than a one-hit-wonder.

I found that Jack Rabbit Slim is expensive to buy on CD. The "Best of" collection I listed above consists of material from the 3 albums you listed, Finn. Plus some live tracks. It's good beginning to end.

Have you thought about a blog Brett?
I did consider it as an alternative to this thread, but I think that'd feel too lonely.
 

Attachments

  • 560233_10152683203786299_3491285704440180431_n.jpg
    560233_10152683203786299_3491285704440180431_n.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
I found that Jack Rabbit Slim is expensive to buy on CD. The "Best of" collection I listed above consists of material from the 3 albums you listed, Finn. Plus some live tracks. It's good beginning to end.

Expensive...egads! So, for an uninitiate like me would you suggest going with Jack Rabbit Slim as a download or Best Of as a CD? Note: I tend to not get hung up on recording quality if the music is good. I can live with mp3s.
 
Expensive...egads! So, for an uninitiate like me would you suggest going with Jack Rabbit Slim as a download or Best Of as a CD? Note: I tend to not get hung up on recording quality if the music is good. I can live with mp3s.

i don't think you can make a wrong choice there. The upside of the best of is that it covers his 3 or 4 records of that era. the upside to Jackribbit, is you get the album as it was intended.

either way, you're good.
 
Scott Walker -Scott 2

attachment.php


Neil Young -Harvest

attachment.php


Smog - A River Aint Too Much to Love.

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20120612_202604.jpg
    IMG_20120612_202604.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 506
  • IMG_20120612_202635.jpg
    IMG_20120612_202635.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_20120612_204436.jpg
    IMG_20120612_204436.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:
Marianne Faithful - Before the Poison

attachment.php


Freddy Cole - Music Meastro, Please (with the Bill Charlap Trio)

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Freddy Cole._SS500_.jpg
    Freddy Cole._SS500_.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 468
  • Faithfullbeforepoison.jpg
    Faithfullbeforepoison.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
Ok, Best of Steve Forbert on the way. On those grounds I'd say your playlist thread idea is a success.

However, since you listed Neil Young I'd say that takes you back to even. ;)
 
I guess Steve Forbert "Jackrabbit Slim" will be at the top of my play list. Next up will be Golden Avatar- A change of Heart. Just unsealed both LPs. Not familiar with with these two artist. Just reading this thread and finding the name Steve Forbert mentioned drew my curiosisty. This will be my play list for today. :music:
 
On the couch with first cup of coffee:

Scott Walker - Climate of Hunter

attachment.php


Scott Walker - Rawhide (video)

The Jim Carroll Band - Catholic Boy
You may remember the tune "People Who Dies" off this album. It's one of the best re-discoveries I've had lately.
attachment.php


Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate.
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Scott_Walker_-_Climate_of_Hunter.jpg
    Scott_Walker_-_Climate_of_Hunter.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 483
  • Jim Carroll.jpg
    Jim Carroll.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 476
  • Lenny.jpg
    Lenny.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 476
Last edited:
I've only ever seen one Steve Forbert album. It's cover featured a very young looking guy, a kid really. Seeing that picture of the old looking guy was kind of surreal, although it shouldn't be. After all, I see an old guy in the mirror these days.

I just looked and the album I have is from 1978! It just doesn't seem that long.
 
delete! In the wrong thread.

I think your point is good though; about the fact that if I update this frequently, it will hog the top of the Music Forum.

I've commented on it over here, out of this thread.

(please)


_________________________________________________________________________________

Traffic
Santa Monica Civic Center, CA
February 21, 1972.

(Soundboard)

attachment.php





01 Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
02 Light Up Or Leave Me Alone
03 John Barleycorn Must Die
04 Rainmaker
05 Glad>
06 Freedom Rider
07 Forty Thousand Headmen
08 Dear Mr. Fantasy
 

Attachments

  • Traffic1.jpg
    Traffic1.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom