• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Brett A's Playlist.

The only thing I've listened to in the last 24 hours was Tom Waits - Foreign Affairs. (CD)


Nice to see some Scott Walker love here.
Plenty of that in my house. :thmbsp:


attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Tom-Waits-Foreign-Affairs-1990-FLAC.jpg
    Tom-Waits-Foreign-Affairs-1990-FLAC.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 120
I can take this opportunity to share some of my thoughts on this process so far.
  • I have been and will continue to be as thorough as possible. And so far, i have listed everything I've played. As I've said here at AK many times, I really only play music when I'm going to sit and listen to it or when i am driving alone in my car. I prefer to work in quiet if I'm doing something or with someone else. (This is to say, i don't "do" background music any more)
  • I figure I've only truly listened to something if I've sat through 20 minutes/4 songs or more. So although so far most of what I have listed, I sat through entirely, some I just played a half of or-so.
  • And I really don't think this reporting has influenced what i choose to listen to. Although it has made me pay more attention to what motivates my to put on the titles I do. And almost always, it's simply becasue it's in my head and I want to hear it on the speakers.
 
I didn't listen to anything after work yesterday. But this morning, I got up and gave another listen to Dwight Yoakam - A Long Way Home. this time through headphones. This album is really excellent from start to finish. Dwight is a very clever, funny, and thought-provoking songwriter both lyrically and musically.
attachment.php


Then I was out running some errands with the Little Missus and we played Marty Robins - Gunfighter ballads and Trail Songs (digitized from LP to CD)
attachment.php


I rounded out the trip home and the commute into work with Third World - You've Got the Power. (also a CD digitized from an LP)

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Dwight Retro.jpg
    Dwight Retro.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 117
  • Marty Robins.jpg
    Marty Robins.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Third World.jpg
    Third World.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20120622_212333.jpg
    IMG_20120622_212333.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Willie Nelson - You Don't Know Me: The Songs of Cindy walker

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20120623_141248.jpg
    IMG_20120623_141248.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_20120623_142012.jpg
    IMG_20120623_142012.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_20120623_141845.jpg
    IMG_20120623_141845.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 221
  • Coltrane Heavyweight-cover.jpg
    Coltrane Heavyweight-cover.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 221
  • Tanita 3.jpg
    Tanita 3.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
So this morning with coffee, I gave another listen to Tanita Tikaram - Acnient Heart. LP

You may remember her song Twist in my Sobriety from 1988.

For some reason, that tune reminded me of Sweet Home Alabama, so I put on Lynyrd Skynyrd - All Time Greatest Hits (cd)--played it all the way through

I have to pull out Ancient Heart and have a listen just to try to understand that strange jump with a twist to Skynyrd....
 
So this morning, I once again listened to Tanita Takram - this time just side B

attachment.php


Followed by Another Side of Bob Dylan, then The Best of ZZ Top (pre-"Sharped Dressed Man" nonsense)

attachment.php


Then I listened to John Coltrane. Pretty much the last half of Coltane's Sound and the first half of Ole (in the form of Heavyweight Champion)

attachment.php


This one, I actually a little embarrassed to post because it's so bad, but it met my criteria (20minutes or 4 songs) so I'll list it.

Cocktails at the Cantina Lounge versions of the Star Wars soundtrack.

attachment.php
 
we had friends over for dinner. I generally don't put on music when we have company and this was true tonight, so the last post was the last time I listened to anything (earlier this afternoon.)

right now, I'm on the couch-just me and the cat-enjoying Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die I'm going up to bed when it's over
 
Nice thread. From Albert Ayler to the Stanley Brothers. Sounds about right.
Thanks. It's my version of "normal".


So, to get caught up:

So, in the last 4 days, I have not listened to too much.

Sunday, the only thing I listened to was Scott Walker - Scott 2 which was on a CD I burned from the LP.
attachment.php


Monday, I sat and listened to the new copy of Neil Young's Harvest I bought on Sunday at Newbury Comics on the Fresh Pond Parkway in Cambridge (next to Whole Paycheck). It's the remastered HDCD. It sounds amazing!
attachment.php


Then, on the way to work Monday, it was The Very Best of the Meters. (The best live show I've ever seen BTW. They made it look so easy)
attachment.php

Yesterday, all I listened to was The Birthday Party - Hee Haw. This is Nick Cave's early band and well worth a listen if you're into post punk.
attachment.php


Today, I'm driving down to Manhattan and back (about 9 hours r/t). I might just listen to podcast all the way (WTF w/Marc Maron is one of my faves).
attachment.php

But if I listen to any music, I'll let you know.
 

Attachments

  • Scott 2 CDr.jpg
    Scott 2 CDr.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 214
  • Birthday Party.jpg
    Birthday Party.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 216
  • Meters.jpg
    Meters.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 215
  • Neil Young Harvest CD back.jpg
    Neil Young Harvest CD back.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 212
  • maron_this_has_to_be_funny.jpg
    maron_this_has_to_be_funny.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 218
This Morning with coffee, it was Neil Young - After the Gold Rush (old CD copy--sounded kinda' grainy actually)

Then on the commute it was Black Uhuru - Red

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Black Uhuru.jpg
    Black Uhuru.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 209
Last night, quite late, I sat and listened to Bonnie 'Prince' Billy (Will Oldham) - The Letting Go all the way through.

attachment.php



This morning with my first cup of coffee, it was the first half of Ornette Coleman - Tomorrow is the Question followed by most of Dionne Warwick - Ultimate Collection (I just love those old Burt Bacharach numbers)

attachment.php


Then in the car, it was Scott Walker - Scott 4 then another run through of Neil Young - Harvest.

attachment.php


attachment.php




~
 

Attachments

  • Dionne and Colman.jpg
    Dionne and Colman.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 206
  • The Letting Go.jpg
    The Letting Go.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 206
  • neil-young-harvest-294142.jpg
    neil-young-harvest-294142.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 202
  • Scott 4_.jpg
    Scott 4_.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Black Uhuru!

Guess who's coming to dinner? Nattie Dreadlocks!

I appreciate the herb you brought for me, Nattie Dreadlocks.
 
Today, I'm driving down to Manhattan and back (about 9 hours r/t). I might just listen to podcast all the way (WTF w/Marc Maron is one of my faves).
attachment.php

But if I listen to any music, I'll let you know.

Great to hear there's another Marc Maron Fan on AK! I've been listening to WTF since almost the beginning. :thmbsp:

Oh and by the way... There's some great music selections here and I especially love the pictures. :tresbon:

(as a side note... I'd love to get a look at Maron's music collection and or playlist....)
 
Great to hear there's another Marc Maron Fan on AK! I've been listening to WTF since almost the beginning. :thmbsp:

Oh and by the way... There's some great music selections here and I especially love the pictures. :tresbon:

(as a side note... I'd love to get a look at Maron's music collection and or playlist....)

Thanks for the kind words. I just discovered WTF about 6 months ago and think I've heard just about all the episodes he has made available for free. I'm a real fan and will go see him when he comes back to new England.

As for my pictures, I'm having fun making real-life photos of the actual discs in different settings when I can.

:thmbsp:

Woke up this morning
and listened to Jason Molina (playing solo as Songs:Ohia) in Amsterdam 2002. One of my favorite Jason Molina recordings retail or bootleg. This one sounds like a binaural mic'd audience recording. It's just like listing from inside the taper's head! You can download it legally and losslessly here:

http://archive.org/details/songsohia2002-01-31.aud.flac16

attachment.php


Then it was Richard Buckner - Dents and Shells.

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Dents and Shells.jpg
    Dents and Shells.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 199
  • Songs Molina.jpg
    Songs Molina.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 201
This morning with coffee and the little missus, it was Fleetwood Mac - Rumors LP

attachment.php


Then Jonathan Edwards - self-titled
Some of you may need your memory lodged by having the reminder that this is the album that gave us "Sit around the shanty and put a good buzz on" and "Sunshine go away today, I don't feel much like dancin'."

attachment.php



Then it was all of this Buck Owens collection:

attachment.php


We drove up to Keene for lunch at Fritz's and gave another listen to Dwight Yoakam - A Long Way Home

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Rumors LP.jpg
    Rumors LP.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 195
  • Buck Owens CD.jpg
    Buck Owens CD.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 195
  • Jon Edwards LP.jpg
    Jon Edwards LP.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 198
This evening, I've listened to Joan Baez - Ballad Book. This is a two LP collection from the early 70's putting together some of her beautiful and haunting recordings. This particular LP is pristine with a very quiet background.

attachment.php


Immediately following Joan was John Coltrane Quartet - First Meditations

attachment.php


Then back chronologically a bit to Coltrane-Crescent

attachment.php


Now I'm going up to bed. See you in the morning.

:thmbsp:
 

Attachments

  • Joan Baez_215133.jpg
    Joan Baez_215133.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 192
  • Coltrane Crescent 1a.jpg
    Coltrane Crescent 1a.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 190
  • Coltrane First Meditations.jpg
    Coltrane First Meditations.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 192
Back
Top Bottom