• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ω Ω Saturday October 21st 2023 FALL FrankenFest in West Boylston, MA Ω Ω

Based on past events, is there an opportunity to piece together a low cost starter vintage system or is more high end audio?

My daughter just got an apartment - I was thinking of pulling together a 25-40 watt receiver, turntable system for her. She seems to like the sound and look of my SX-1010, HPMs and Dual setup.

Thanks
Most certainly. I've got a nice little 25wpc late 1970's kenwood receiver in the car and can certainly come up with some good speakers and a basic mid to late 1980's Technics turntable with new cartridge for about $300. It's not going to match the goods you've got at your place, but you've got some nice gear. Which HPM's? Still, it would be a nice basic starter system. Thanks, Ed
 
I’ll be there first thing. I talk to many of my friends about these events as well. These are a highlight of the year for sure, hopefully we can keep the tradition going. I will see about bringing some things to give away and sell this time around. Perhaps I can set a small raffle up and give the proceeds to help the cause. See you all soon.
Hey Conner, do you know if Will is going?
Peter
 
Hey Conner, do you know if Will is going?
Peter
Hey Peter, @Will_Emanuel will most definitely be going.
I am seriously considering going and was wondering if there will be any techs there? I have two pieces I need fixed I could drop off. One is a very nice avr that in standby something happened probably during power outage and everything works but appears protection circut is tripped out to speakers. and other is a receiver that apparently I did not discharge output well as its in protection after I shorted one of the legs of output transistors on chassis while sliding board out to redo grease. Output transistors test fine so must be something close to them.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...-sr805-one-of-the-big-boys-with-nudes.886682/ this is the AVR If I cant get fixed maybe someone wants to buy all the output Transistors from it for other repairs. This has low hours on it and is very powerful, so it deserves to be fixed, its form around 99 2000 year.

If there is still room for set up can bring

speakers you most likely never heard Sansui PM C-100's
5 month old Peachtree Nova 150 Class D integrated amplifier (150 wpc)
Peachtree Loki and Manni I forget which one is which, one is headphone amp I use to put full input into amp from phone and other is 4 knob tone control.

If you want to try the Nova in another system there that is fine as well as my speakers are efficient so if some speakers brought there are not and you want to test its meddle with a more demanding load is cool; might change some opinions on class A.
Me and a few friends who are going are techs. I can bring a multimeter and a set of eyes there to help diagnose your issues. I’m not currently taking on outside work though, so troubleshooting will have to take place at the event. Might be a fun spectacle for people to see as well.
 
Only 2 more days to go.
Looks like a rainy day which means you can’t do yard work or go to a soccer game -
Let’s rock on!
Hi jim,
my friend, Bruce from Clinton MA, and I would like to bring some equipment to the event. This is our first time bring stuff over, will there be a table to use, also when should we be there to setup?
Thanks,
Fang
 
Fang
If you want to bring equipment primarily to demo set it up in one of the main rooms upstairs.
Items primarily for sale go downstairs.
There is a limited supply of tables on a first come basis so you might want to bring your own (as I do).
We are rather lax on the rules, the primary one to have fun!
Thanks for joining us, see you Saturday!
Jim
 
Hey Peter, @Will_Emanuel will most definitely be going.

Me and a few friends who are going are techs. I can bring a multimeter and a set of eyes there to help diagnose your issues. I’m not currently taking on outside work though, so troubleshooting will have to take place at the event. Might be a fun spectacle for people to see as well.
Yes, please do I will bring them. Thank you!
 
If anyone is looking for something I would probably be interested in selling the Nova 150 for a good price as I want to get a more powerful Corina 300. I bought the Nova 150 April this year. It has probably 25 hours or less. cost 1,500 give me your best offer. Flawless piano black. Well you will see if there if interested.
 
Is there any interest in getting tubes tested? I can bring my hickok with me.

I’m selfishly hoping for parts/storage/etc. in the flea market :)
regardless, it’s alway fun seeing the systems and the gang. Frank would be pleased that it’s still goin on.

Dave
 
Fang
If you want to bring equipment primarily to demo set it up in one of the main rooms upstairs.
Items primarily for sale go downstairs.
There is a limited supply of tables on a first come basis so you might want to bring your own (as I do).
We are rather lax on the rules, the primary one to have fun!
Thanks for joining us, see you Saturday!
Jim
So, can we come over at 10 AM? Thanks Jim!
 
If you two cannot diagnose why it went into protection mode just sitting pugged in and would like the output transistors and the massive transformer or other things for future repairs bring some small side cutters and a screwdriver you can have them. I just cannot take this to the dump as its an excellent sounding piece but will if it can make other things live which is easier to swallow.

this weighs 50 lbs the transformer is probably 25 of it.

1697817230687.png
 
What do people do to identify themselves? should I write my name and My AK name on some tape and put it on my shirt or something?
 
What do people do to identify themselves? should I write my name and My AK name on some tape and put it on my shirt or something?
I'll put my name on a tag, it'll be the same as my screen name here (or at least eerily similar.) :D
 
Last edited:
I originally planned to go this time but I'm not interested in humping all the gear in and out of the basement in the rain:wtf:
Maybe next event or if it moves to a venue with a ramp.

Hope everyone has a good time!

Techfixer
 
Bill and I should be there by 10AM, so folks can start with setup then. We’ll need a bit of help with general setup.

I’ll have name tags for everyone. Bill B will give you one when you pay at the door.

@n1ims - can your Hickok test an 811A transmitter tube? I have a few with discolored plates.

Time to start packing the car!

YFS - Jim
 
Have cookies, will travel. I notice the town's Fall Fest is going on at the same time, so that should make some interesting traffic.

If anyone would like to make a presentation that would be great.
It could be in your area of expertise and experience

Be careful what you wish for; I don't think AK's ready for my comprehensive history of the police flashlight.
 
I originally planned to go this time but I'm not interested in humping all the gear in and out of the basement in the rain:wtf:
Maybe next event or if it moves to a venue with a ramp.

Hope everyone has a good time!

Techfixer

Just come! You DO NOT have to bring anything but yourself. Who knows, perhaps you can bump into an old friend or God forbid...help someone else!
 
I originally planned to go this time but I'm not interested in humping all the gear in and out of the basement in the rain:wtf:
Maybe next event or if it moves to a venue with a ramp.

Hope everyone has a good time!

Techfixer
Show up anyway!

In the meantime I’ll dispatch a sternly worded letter to the management and you can let us know if you can find a more suitable venue.
 
Unfortunately the guest I was going to bring was told not to leave town by his cardiologist.
Now I have to decide about pulling together a demo system around my ESP project 3A or just hanging around longer to annoy more people.
 
Back
Top Bottom