• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

100 dollar stereo challenge!

DerK_THe_JerK

New Member
Hello AK,
I do a lot of reading the Forum, but never post. Here has been the challenge for the last year. The 100 dollar stereo. The rules are simple you are required to have a turntable, cd player, amplifier, speakers all the cables need, and a tuner if required. All this must not exceed 100 dollars. Two things will determine a winner. One is overall sound quality witch will be judged by a neutral party, and the other is what the system would have cost new! (The later being the least important). Well here we are a year later and I just made a list of stuff I have acquired and am shocked at how much I have. I can understand why my wife is ready to kill me! The reason I am posting this is because I want some help picking and choosing the system. I know some of this is a personal taste, but it would be interest to see how some of you would go about it. I put the price I paid next to the Items. If the system comes in under 100 bucks other gear can be added. Let me know what you think, comments, questions. Over the last year I have fallen in love with gear and have learned so muck. I want to thank this community for all the help along the way. Though I have spent no time talking, I have spent a lot of time listening. Cheers :thmbsp:

AMPLIFIERS
Nad 3155 $10

Realistic sta-2500 $25

Nikko nr-1000 $17 Pioneer sx-980 $25

Heathkit aa-1205 $20

Sherwood ad260b $15

Sansui 661 $10

Kenwood kr-6060 $25

Yamaha cr-840 $25

NAD 7020 $15

NAD 3080 $40


PREAMPS
Halfer dh-101 $10


CD PLAYERS

Nikko NCD-100 $12

Sony dvp-s7000 $10 Yamaha cdx-920 $17

Kyocera da-610 $15



SPEAKERS

KEF chorale III $10

Realistic solo-4c $10

M&K sat 1b $50

Boston cr-55 $10

Johnzer 3 way speakers $16

KEF coda III $10

Dalquest DQ-12 $25

Boston 595x (SUB) $20

M&K volkwolfer (SUB) $5

Pioneer cs-88a 25$

Realistic minimus 7 two pair 1 wood, 1 metal $10 a pair

Polk 5jr speakers $40

Speakerlab super 7 early 80’s towers with ribbon tweeter FREE!

Ess classic (with amt tweeters) 25$


TURNERS
Onkyo t-4090 $10

Sansui tu-57 $13

Marantz ST-64 $15

Denon tu-460





TURNTABLES
Beogram 5000 MMC4 $5

Kenwood kd-850 turntable $10

Kenwood kd-3070 $10

Pioneer pl-512 $13

Yamaha pf-20 Denon 160 MC cart


OTHER
Kenwood audio de-noiser kf-8011 $12

Sansui se-7 EQ $15

Adc ss-300sl (EQ)$9

NAK cr-2a $5

Nak cr-1a $10

Optimus 31-2030 (EQ) $5
 
Register to hide this ad
wow..almost EVERYTHING I have qualifies, xecpt the TEAC A-3340S!

I hope that this is suff that could have been gotten BEFORE this year...

Amps/Receivers
Sony TA-1055 (FREE)
Pioneer SX-780 (FREE)
Sansui QRX-3500 ($15)
Onkyo TX-4500 ( free from AK :ntwrthy:)

Power amps/pre's/mixers
Tascam M30 ($65)
Peavey CS-400 ($5)

Tape decks
Technics M222 (free)
Technics M224 ($12)
Technics Double Cassette deck RS-TR355 ($6)
Akai GX912 (FREE w000t!)
Denon M-14HX ($20)

Turntables:
Technics SL-D202 (free)
Technics SL-Q202 (free)
Marantz BPC (Free, has a SLIGHT hum last I checked)

CD PLayers:
Sony CDP-190 ($12)
1983 Magnavox unit ($25)

Speakers:
Acoustic Research AR4x ($15)
JBL 4311 ($35)
Baby Advent 1 ($12)
Wharfedale W25 (free)

Tuner:
Technics something or other, works well for being a '90's unit

EQ's:
Technics fluoroscan (free)
kenwood ($6)

I think that that's everything.....that'll apply, anyways....
 
Last edited:
The thing that stands out about the kd-850 is its bass control. I have to say, If it was not for the Technic sl1000mk2 (with EPA 100 arm)I picked up I would have it in my Main system. The Technics I paid a little more for, a whopping 25 dollars! I did though have to buy a power supply for it because the guy I bought it from did not want to spend a bunch of time looking for it. I was going to complain to much for that price. There is still a chance that I will get the supply soon. Then I can add it to the list....
 
I Picked up a Marantz 2215 plus a pair of Paradigm 5se's for $90 total... I gave them to our Administrative Assistant for her office and she is happy as can be for an office system...
 
I think everything I have costs well under $100

Main system:
- Pioneer SX-1250, free from a bin
- Marantz CD52, free because it had a broken belt
- Yamaha KX393 tape deck, £20 ($40) in a sale. I need a vintage tape deck though! :D
- Goodmans Magnum K speakers, £10 ($20)
- Cambridge Audio interconnects, came in a huge sack of cables with a computer I bought
- Gale speaker cable, free offcuts
- BSR McDonald MP60 turntable, came in a pallet of stuff I bought from ebay

TV system:
- Sony STR-something, free from a bin
- EMI LE4 speakers, free from a house clearance
- Ariston Acoustics CD player, £10 ($20)
- Toshiba DVD player, marked down from £150 to £20 in a sale because it was missing the box and remote control
- Garrard SP25 turntable, free from someone who bought a new plastic Sony
- More free Gale speaker cable
- No-name gold plated interconnects, £2 each in a sale

Other stuff includes a pair of Acoustic Research AR35BX speakers in need of a refoam I got for £5 ($10), and my latest find, a brand-new looking Sansui A5, T5 and turntable all in their boxes, factory fresh for £30 ($60).
 
I'm just shaking my head at the KEFs for $10 a pair.
Like Rod Stewart said, "Some guys have all the luck."

Tom
 
Pioneer SX-1010 $40.00 Local CL Ad
Pioneer HPM-100's $25.00 Local CL Ad
Pioneer DT-500 5.00 GW
TEAC 1230 $25.00 Local CL Ad
Technic's SL-6 Free from Ak member Trader (still on it's way here)
Rat Shack SCT-21 .99 Ebay not including shipping


Or if you like:

Marantz 1060
Marantz 105
Polk Audio Rti15 All three above for $30.00
Dual 1229 w Shure V15 type III for $40.00
AKAI M8 for $25.00 w/ enough cables to hook everything here up

I could recombine a few things and get another system but hey if a SX-1010 and HPM-100 with a TEAC 1230 and SL-6 as sources don't sound good enough what's the point LOL

Cables I bought a Box of them for $2.00 a while back
 
i don't think people are following the rulz.. it says the $100 stereo.. which has to have you are required to have a turntable, cd player, amplifier, speakers all the cables need, and a tuner if required. All this must not exceed 100 dollars.

so a complete stereo system for under $100 not individual pieces. it's a big challenge. I know i would probably not be able to do it for under a hundred
 
Yep, thats it. here what I'm thinking with the gear I have. NAD 3080 $40, Kyocera da-610 $15, Marantz ST-64 $15, Kenwood kd-850 turntable $10, Speakerlab super 7 early 80’s towers with ribbon tweeter FREE (the guy was throwing them out!) My cable should come in just under $10. I still have enough to get a happy meal...
 
I recently bought a Kenwood system with Boston speakers for 20 bucks. '91 vintage. Not high-end, but still good quality. Here's the original thread, since I can't post the pics twice. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=142886 The only gripe is there are no remotes, the owner's dog chewed them up (cute little yellow lab). I bought a remote from Ebay for the cd player since I am using it in my main system right now. Remotes will cost more than the whole system, but even if I replace both of them (receiver), it's still well under 100 bucks.

It is:
Boston Acoustics HD-7
Kenwood DP-2030 cd player
Kenwood KR-A5030 receiver
Kenwood KX-W8030 cassette
 
I followed the rules twice one of my systems has a R2R and Cassette deck besides the TT. I'll see your CDP and raise you two tape decks.
 
Back
Top Bottom