• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

100 dollar stereo challenge!

How is kd-750? do you have any pics? Turntables are a funny thing people look at you cross eyed when you say you have one. ahh, but when they hear on setup right and that sounds good its a argument settler. especially when so much of the mass marketed dvd/cd players of today sound so bad. Some of the so called Giant killers only sound good in the hype. A couple of the older cd player I have run circles around them. My main system is mostly Naim gear. CD PLAYER, AMP, PREAMP. I love there stuff. I have a Nait one that I don't think I will ever part with.
 
Let me add NAK CR-2a tape deck and a Audio control Richter scale III that puts me right at a 100. NAD $535, Kyocera $550, Marantz st-64 around $200,
Kenwood kd-850 I need a little help here, not sure. not cheap though you can tell its well made. speakerlab 7's around $1000, NAK $495, Richter III $350. I would think with the table and cables I have would be pushing the $3000 mark in retail. Sometimes the book I use for value is a little high on new price though. I could change this around a little and show a little MSRP but overall good soud, well matched system is the real goal here.
 
here is what i have gotten in the past 12 month's

SpeakerLab SQ1 bookshelfs - $15
Pioneer PL-530 TT - $15
Sansui 7070 - $18
Polk Audio SDA 2A - $40
Sony ES CDP-8ESD - $19

i never seem to get any good deals on cables though for some reason. I think i just blew by the $100 mark though..
 
Free stuff scored from friends (its yours it has just been sitting in the attic....)

Amp-Onkyo AVR 401/tuner Free from co-worker
Amp- Kenwood KR-3600 Free from my sister-in-law
Tuner-Pioneer TX-5500II
Turntable-Dual 1019

If free does not count choose from the following

Amp-
Gladding Mark 200 -$10
Kenwood VR-307 $70

Speakers-
RTR Series IV C $14
Infinity Reference 2000.4 $50

Turntable-Technics SL-1500 $15
CD Player-Denon 810 $15
Dual Cassette Deck-Yamaha K-903 $15
Pre-Amp-Kenwood Basic C-1 $35

Arrange as you see fit,some will obviously take you over the $100 limit
 
My Sansui TU-7700 tuner was FREE.....THANKS DAD!!

Other cheapies............

Avid 100 speakers......................$20.
Kenwood KA-4002 int. amp..........$10.
Kenwood KT-2001 tuner..............$10.
Denon DCD-520 CD player............$10.
Nikko 5055 receiver.....................$10.
Realistic Nova-4 speakers.............$10.
H-K 330C receiver.......................$10.
Magnavox CDB-492 CD player........$10.

Steve
 
My I think the most expensive piece in my setup was the stylus for my Pickering XV-15

Receiver.
Realistic STA-85 - Free

Speakers
Minimus 7's - Free
KLH 900B's - $20

CDP
Magnavox FD-1051-BK01 - Free

TT
Dual 1009 - Free

Stylus
Pickering D400 - $30
 
Pioneer SX-780, SG-9500 Eq, PL-518 TT...all for $25 at a Thrift Shop.
Akai GX 4000D RTR...$30 at Yard Sale.
Klipsch KG-4's...$10 at Goodwill.

or the ultimate cheapy:

Marantz 2265B...$5 at Yard Sale
Garrard Zero 100 TT...$10 at Yard Sale
AR 4X's...free
 
How about...
Eico HF-81 amp...$1
Olson RA-628 tuner...$1
Pioneer PL-518 TT...$2 (plus $10 for DIY feet)
Marantz CD-30 cd player...$5
Dynaco A-25 speakers...$6
Don't have a cassette or R2R hooked up to this but I could squeeze both in if required.
:music:
 
Pioneer ST-6800 $5.00 tuner
Pioneer SA-5800 $5.00 integrated amp
Pr. EMI model 319 Speakers $5.00
Sony CDP-435 CD 5 disc player $10.00
Sansui SR-525 TT $23.00
Assorted cables $8.00

Total: $56.00

All in all, sounds good for what it is. All purchases were either flea market or Thrift Store with the exception of the TT which was local ebay (no shipping).
Note: No freebies. Freebies or gifted/inherited items should not count.
 
Receiver - Pioneer SX-737 - $7
Turntable - Pioneer PL-510 - $25
CD Player - Pioneer CDP-190 - $10
Speakers - Avid 230's $34 and change (includes the refoam)

I already had cables (not the greatest interconnects available but they work)

total $74
 
Best deals, although I've not kept all the pieces. Some have gone to other AKers, or friends in need.


integrated amplifier- Yamaha 810- free
Tuner- Sansui TU-5900- $20 bucks
CDP- Teac- $5 bucks
Eight Track- Realistic recording model- $5 bucks
Cassette Deck- Awia- $5 bucks
Reel to Reel- Pioneer RT-909- Free
Turntable- Technics SL-D2- $5 bucks
Cartridge- Grado Blue- $23 bucks
Speakers- Cerwin Vega HED CV-3000- free
Interconnects- 6 pair hi-end RCA on closeout- $18 total
Interconnects- 3 pair Monster Cable- Free
Speaker Wire- Straightwire brand- Free

$81 dollars
 
EPI 120 C - $10
Phillips 673 Tuner - $15
Dual 606 - $5
Realistic 2200- $5


That's just the bedroom system
 
Hi,

The following should be considered unusually fine luck:

McIntosh 225 Power Amplifier
McIntosh C 22 Preamplifier
McIntosh MR 65B FM tuner
Altec Lansing Valencia Speakers
Thorens TD 124 turntable with SME III arm and Shure V 15 Type IV cartridge
Crown SX 700 series open reel
All Manuals and cables

Price:

Free (Curbside find and in nice shape, the power amp needed recapping $20 in parts)

Found a shiny looking chrome plated piece of gear being gently lowered to the curb on my way to work. Looked at it and it was a McIntosh 225. Gentleman said "You can have it, it hums bad". "If you'll wait, I'll bring you the rest of the system". He did and gave me all manuals and cables. All in use now.
 
Back
Top Bottom