• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

100 dollar stereo challenge!

Gentleman said "You can have it, it hums bad". "If you'll wait, I'll bring you the rest of the system". He did and gave me all manuals and cables. All in use now.
I had considered fielding a horse in this race, but after that I'm not even going to bother posting. :smoke: Well done.
 
Marantz 2252b - Scrounged/dumpster-dove for free
Marantz SR440 - Free
NAD L40 + CD - Free--needed work
NAD 7120 - Free
NAD 7250PE - $15
Pioneer SX-3700 - Free

Preamplifiers:
Phase Linear 4000/II - Got in trade for free gear--needed work
Heathkit AP-1615 - $25--needed work
Parasound - Free--needed work

Power amps:
Phase Linear 400 - Got in trade for free gear
Heathkit AA-1640 - $25--needed work
Adcom GFA-1 - Got in trade for free gear--needed work

Intengrated amplifiers:
NAD 3220PE - Free
NAD 3045 - Free, needed work
Kenwood KA-305 - Free
Bogen MX60A tube PA - Free
Bell 2122C tube mono - Free, needed work

Tuners:
Kenwood KT-313 - Free
Technics ST-S78 digital - Free
Pioneer TX-9500 II - Free

CD players:
NAD 513 3-disc changer - Free
Sony CDP-XE40 single disc - $10
Onkyo DX-C210 6-disc changer - $15
Yamaha 5-disc changer - $10
Denon DCM-420 5-disc changer - $5

Analog input:
Sony TC-WR565 dual tape deck - $10
Nakamichi BX-125 tape deck - Free--needed work
Nakamichi BX-150 tape deck - $10--needed work
Thorens TD-280 turntable - Free
Teac V-1RX tape deck - Free--needed work
Sharp RT-3388A tape deck - Free--needed work
Teac reel-to-reel - Free--needed work

Speakers:
Klipsch KG3 - Free
Polk RTA-11t - $40--needed tweeter
Cambridge Soudworks Six - $30
 
OK I'll give it ago, all items work but most do need to be serviced, lets see that add up to 100.00 even englissa


Accuphase T101 tuner 35.00 fleamarket
Rotel RA1412 amp 35.00 fleamarket
Adcom GCD 575 cd player 15.00 goodwill
Marantz 630 TT 10.00 auction
Klipsch Cornwalls 5.00 auction
 
I have to say this is the right place for me. a bunch of cheap bastards!!!
With great system might I ad.
Ok I think an annual event would be cool. Maybe a 100 dollar stereo fest. everyone could bring there setup and they could be judged. OK maybe not.
With my list what do you all think would be the best combo? Are show down is going to happen soon.
 
Let's see... My virtual $100.00 system:

Klipsch Heresy $16.00
Carver C-2 Preamp $18.00
HK Citation 22 Amp $18.00
Technics SL-D1260 $15.00
Take-Your-Pick CD Player $10.00
AudioControl 10 band EQ $10.00

Thats pretty close. All from Goodwill. For another $25.00 I could throw in a RTR, RT-707 Pioneer.
 
OK I'll give it ago, all items work but most do need to be serviced, lets see that add up to 100.00 even englissa


Accuphase T101 tuner 35.00 fleamarket
Rotel RA1412 amp 35.00 fleamarket
Adcom GCD 575 cd player 15.00 goodwill
Marantz 630 TT 10.00 auction
Klipsch Cornwalls 5.00 auction

T101 nice:thmbsp:
 
Got the T101 and the rotel as a package deal, Need to send the T101 off for a overhaul along with a couple Sansui's G9000, G8000, AU919, Me and a lady friend go to fleamarkets on the weekends and found this. Didnt know what it was until after the fact, my sights were on the rotel . got luckey englissa
 
Pioneer SX-636: $25
AR2ax Speakers: $30
Dual CS-604 TT: $25
Pioneer PD 426 CDP: $10
Pioneer CT-F850: $8
Total: $98

All in great working order
 
I'll pick a random setup. :D

Pioneer PL-530 TT
Pioneer CT-F1000 cassette
Sansui AU-717 integrated
Akai AT-V04 tuner (killer unit)
ESS PS8A speakers (nice Heils!)
Rotel RCD 855 CD player

$100, on the nose. Good fun, cheap. :)
 
Man there are some good deals listed on here. I wish I could find a nice integrated amp for like nothing.

Getting a pair of free AR90's soon (nothing to drive them with except a new Yamaha receiver), have a nice $2 Pioneer CD Player, and a free turntable (Phillips 777) that was my dads. If I could score a decent integrated for little to no money, I could be a contender.

Too bad the thrift stores/salvation army stores in NJ seem to have slim pickings lately.
 
This gives everybody an idea what can be had on the fly with some luck patience, and knowledge. I know, I am preaching to the quire.

Sansui 9090, $10 found on New Years Eve.
Sony 6060F, $7.
Citation 21, 22, and 23, $30.
Tannoy System 800, $10.
Technics SL 2000, $15
Technics SL 1350, $30
Denon DCM 777, $4.

There's more, but these are the best. Still looking for a driver for my Kef 103/4's. They were $20, but until I get the driver or spring for new tweeters they can't qualify. And probably won't. If I can't find the driver in six months I will get the non-original replacements from Kef.
 
Imho....

Hello AK,
I do a lot of reading the Forum, but never post. Here has been the challenge for the last year. The 100 dollar stereo. The rules are simple you are required to have a turntable, cd player, amplifier, speakers all the cables need, and a tuner if required. All this must not exceed 100 dollars. Two things will determine a winner. One is overall sound quality witch will be judged by a neutral party, and the other is what the system would have cost new! (The later being the least important). Well here we are a year later and I just made a list of stuff I have acquired and am shocked at how much I have. I can understand why my wife is ready to kill me! The reason I am posting this is because I want some help picking and choosing the system. I know some of this is a personal taste, but it would be interest to see how some of you would go about it. I put the price I paid next to the Items. If the system comes in under 100 bucks other gear can be added. Let me know what you think, comments, questions. Over the last year I have fallen in love with gear and have learned so muck. I want to thank this community for all the help along the way. Though I have spent no time talking, I have spent a lot of time listening. Cheers :thmbsp:


Here's the list...

AMPLIFIERS

NAD 3080 $40 - A Kick Ass 90 WPC with 3db dynamic headroom. Equivalent to most peoples' 125 WPC amps...


PREAMPS
Halfer dh-101 $10 - Well known high quality pre amp.


CD PLAYERS



Sony dvp-s7000 $10 - I like Sony CDP's....:dunno:


SPEAKERS


Dalquest DQ-12 $25 - I have a pair of these, and I really like them. I'll bet the NAD will make these sing...




TUNERS
Onkyo t-4090 $10 - I like my T-9, this one's close in vintage....





TURNTABLES


Kenwood kd-850 turntable $10 - seems to plenty said already...



So I have $105....Sue me....:D

Hook 'em up and see how they sound....:thmbsp:
 
JVC A-x900 120 wpc integrated amp, Technics SL-D2 TT, Technics 5 disc changer, JBL Apollo S1 speakers (circa 1964) w 15" LE15 woofer and horn mid/tweeter, and 4 original Large Advents (walnut)............... Total cost? $0 :D
All, except for the Apollos, were curbside finds.
 
I did not see that you still had to own it so:
McIntosh MC275 tube power amp
McIntosh C22 tube preamp
McIntosh MR71 tube tuner
McIntosh MI-3 O'scope
All for free

As I do not use CD, I'll sub in a reel to reel. KLH40 price free. For every 10 sold you got 1 as a sales incentive.

Marantz SLT12u (new) with Shure M75E cartridge $50

EV Aristocrats but do not remember the internals as they were my 1st serious stereo speaker from the early '60s. Paid nothing. Seller threw them in after I paid something like $60 for this old Quad system :), a pair of Quad II, Quad 22 and matching FM stereo tuner. He was going to keep them but as I dragged the Quad to the car he yelled out that he decided to junk them and buy a set of Quad ESLs and did I want them, the EVs that is.

Interconnects, cables, etc., maybe $10.

So total cost: $60.

In hindsight, I should stayed pat with that hand. It is still 1st rate today.
 
heh. back in october i scored a pair of Polk-Audio Monitor5Jrs (they may even be the M5jr+) and a Denon PMA-770 (100 wpc Class A) integrated preamp/amp for $0. my EQ (Sansui SE-8) i bought back in 2000 for $15. i paid $10 for my turntable (Pioneer PL-300 - took it off my sig. because it's not hooked up anymore - it had an OK cardridge, i'm using my better one ;] ). however, i don't have a cd player as i own a computer...but i'm sure i can find one for $35 at a thrift store.
 
Piece of cake:
System I
Sony Str 6060F- $19
Yamaha CDC 697-$10
Polk M5's- Curbside w/$29 invested

System II (new and improved!!)

Sony STR 6800SD- $30 (craigs)
ADS L710 (Thrift- yesterday $10 :D)
Denon 1520 cd $20

Ask me about my $300 system:thmbsp:

I dumped $900 worth of newish NAD gear and every system noted above sounds wayyyyyyyyy better.
 
Let me see, I can still put my hands on all of these, except for one, and this would have been my contribution:

Amp: NAD 3155 - $14
Preamp: PS Audio IV - free, needed repair
CD: NAD C521i - free, needed repair
TT: Denon DP-45F - $49
Speakers: Large Advents, walnut, bull-nosed cabinets - $8.99, plus $20 for foam.
 
Back
Top Bottom