• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

2385 reconnect PS00 to P400 pin question

You probably should be testing from Pin 1 to Pin 2, then Pin 3 to Pin 2.
Both should be open since they go through the cap.
J737 looks OK.
On J737 it looks like C744 might be shorted.
Again, you should be testing J738 Pin 1 to Pin 2, then Pin 3 to Pin 2.
It should be open for both.

View attachment 3839903
J737 Pin 1 to 2 = .82m Pin 2 to 3 = 26k Pin 1-3 = 1.4 m
J738 Pin 1 to 2 = 5.9k Pin 2 to 3 - 5.9k Pin 1 to 3 = 1.7ohms
Cap 744 reads 1.7 ohms OL uf
 
I was just testing transistors for a short and find Q720 and Q722 are shorted. I need to find replacements. This may be my issue
 
I'm not so sure that those account for the low resistance at J738.
Why all of a sudden do you have all of these issues with backward connectors, bad transistors, etc. when it was almost working a couple of weeks ago? What happened?
 
I'm not so sure that those account for the low resistance at J738.
Why all of a sudden do you have all of these issues with backward connectors, bad transistors, etc. when it was almost working a couple of weeks ago? What happened?
I guess you didn't read post 1053. As far as backward connectors I could have made a mistake trying to see where the short was . As far as how it was wired , it has always been like that
 
Your right as far as low ohms on J738 , i removed both resistors and still when testing pins on J738 get the same results.
I retested those two transistors out of the board and still get short on diode test collector to emitter , then reverse probes same result.
I must still have a damaged component causing the readings on J738
 
Then someone besides you was in there before because those wire wrap connections are not factory and a sloppy job.
There is an outline of how the notch in the connector is to be inserted so you don't put it in backwards.
 
I also noticed when removing the two shorted transistors, Q712 was not original and was replaced, when it was reinstalled the solder on the collector and emitter had only a hairline between them, when moving the transistor the two shored out, i have removed the solder and re soldered, Also i found a few other that had new solder but no issues with possibly shorting, I now realize why when i tested Q712 and touched probe on collector it was enough movement to short.
 
This may mean something or nothing, Q766 Diode tests shorted both ways in the board
It tests good out of the board as per photo.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260920_175549382.jpg
    PXL_20260920_175549382.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 5
It might mean that Q004 has a collector-emitter short. R788 is only 0.68 Ohms.
Disconnect Q004 and test out of circuit. Actually, it could be Q004, or Q006, or Q008 since the emitters and collectors are in parallel.

1789947907031.png
 
Last edited:
It might mean that Q004 has a collector-emitter short. R788 is only 0.68 Ohms.
Disconnect Q004 and test out of circuit.

View attachment 3840615
I am having an issue finding Q004, is that one of the main transistors in the huge heat sync? If so where are they marked for number.
OK i figured it out, they are the main output transistors. I pulled Q004 out and its shorted, I will order three new ones or should i replace all?
 
Last edited:
Your right as far as low ohms on J738 , i removed both resistors and still when testing pins on J738 get the same results.
I retested those two transistors out of the board and still get short on diode test collector to emitter , then reverse probes same result.
I must still have a damaged component causing the readings on J738

1790001304694.png
 
I replaced the shorted transistor Q004. And now pin 1 to 3 on J738 I get 16k. I was getting 1.7 ohms
I still haven't replaced q720 or q722.
On J737 pin 1 to 3 I get 640 k.
Do I still have an issue, or do I need to first replace the two missing transistors before measuring
 
For whatever reason, the L channel does not match the R channel (J738). from Pin 1-3 on the L channel (J737) you measured 1.4M, on R channel you measured 640k?
 
For whatever reason, the L channel does not match the R channel (J738). from Pin 1-3 on the L channel (J737) you measured 1.4M, on R channel you measured 640k?
On the left channel I read 1.4m on pin 1 to pin 3 but I noticed if I wait it counts down to 640k. On right channel I read 1.7 ohms pin 1 to pin 3 but now after replacing Q004 it reads 16k but I still have Q 720 and Q722 missing untill I get replacements.
 
Back
Top Bottom