• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

a better 2" mid driver?

@Gigantic, as a test, you could swap out the 2200Ph phenolic diaphragm for the Py polyester diaphragm. The frequency response of the Py rolls of more like the 4500Ph. See below post.

 
That is a nasty impedance sweep. I prefer the 2200Ph single peak. Ugh...

But it can be tamed, just another (broad) notch filter.
 
Basically, it just proves that most people can't handle the truth, when presented

The following could not be any more off topic so my apologies for that and you can throw me off the thread.

I had to say a giant Amen to above.

I'm the (State recognized) retirement guy for State and Local Government (County and city) employees for 13 counties. Probably have 25,000 people that I cover though I have no real idea.

When I go to the schools, I'm their official retirement guy. That said, the schools have OTHER folks coming into them to try to sell teachers disability insurance, life insurance, a 403b (type of retirement account) Given the teachers ALREADY have both a pension and a 401K, these folks are essentially trying to push something so they can make a commission. got it.

Couple months ago, I was at a school that I'd not yet been to. Might have been the office manager, might have been the assistant principal but I'd been telling/warning people all day about these others who are coming in to push something onto them for the sake of a commission. This gal stopped by to ask a question... these other folks were brought up and this gal exploded on me.

(yes she's yelling)

"I HAVE NEVER MET ANYONE AS UNPROFESSIONAL AS YOU.... YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO SAY ANY OF THESE THINGS ABOUT (We'll call him Joe)... I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU HAVE TO TALK ABOUT (hmmmm how about your state provided pension???) AND I HAVE NO INTEREST IN ANYTHING YOU ARE SELLING (ummm...I don't have anything to sell and I make no commissions, I have ZERO conflicts of interest and I'm contracted by the State to be your OFFICIAL retirement guy.... but, whatever!)

After her tirade on she now had nothing to say to me, had nothing she wanted to hear from me, she stomps out of the office.

I almost had to laugh. Here, she is protecting "Joe" who is specifically there to try to sell her something so he can make a commission, he's got conflicts of interest, doesn't operate as a fiduciary..... and on this day, her OFFICIAL, state recognized retirement guy comes in and she goes nuclear on me because I was letting her know some of the reality of what was going on.

It still brings a chuckle to me.
 
Just to add even more options to the insanity! I was after some extra data on the 2200ph and saw some NEW DRIVERS!
our old friends with Neodymium

D4400Ph-Nd v2​

1713112254918.png
thats not looking too bad but $209 ea.



D4500Ph-Nd​

1713112404978.png
vs ferrite
1713112772988.png
look like a little lower extenstion but for $300? yeesh

same double peaks on impedance as before


But the interesting one was the D3220. I knew I had seen it on parts express before, but it has a NEW tag next to it on PRVs website.
So maybe there's been a revision an they forgot the V2? It doest match the data or pictures on PE at all so i assume this is an updated model
1713113154874.png1713120830856.png
1713114166047.png1713120842640.png




unlike the 4500s these are only another $20 over the 2200ph so I'm going to grab a pair to test because if their chart is anything to go from it might be the better driver for the money. I'd definitely like to find out so i can add something to this fantastic collaboration. My hope/idea is this one might be a revision to the formula instead of chasing the diminishing returns dragon
 

Attachments

  • 1713113165428.png
    1713113165428.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Pure speculation off their charts but that new neo 4500ph looks like the low extension winner but at a cost that eclipses the rest of the horns and drivers put together. The 3220 looks like it carries a bit lower then rolls off even steeper compared to the 2200 but we'll see in a week or so I guess.
 
I am planning to try out the d4500ph driver with my modified Cornwall with Volti horn. Unfortunately PRV has had these on back order for over a month.
 
here's the new D3220ph(not the current ones on PE). Definitely a loss under 500 but looks like a little more output everywhere else and the sharp drop at 6 as expected. I know in Dirac after sweeps id have a pretty big hump from1-2khz so they might be measure a little more flat before filters overall on mine but I think id save the $20 with the 5db loss under 500. Its definitely a little more hefty.

1713485802735.png

1713486902872.png
 
The 3220Ph looks to be a great driver for it's intended bandwidth (650Hz~6kHz). Are you going to keep the 3220Ph or send it back?
 
The 3220Ph looks to be a great driver for it's intended bandwidth (650Hz~6kHz). Are you going to keep the 3220Ph or send it back?
Interested in hearing how it sounds on the 18x10 compared to the d2200ph.

Is the throat exit a full 2” on the d3220 and not a 1” exit with essentially a built in wave guide to make it a 2” driver like the d2200?
 
Interested in hearing how it sounds on the 18x10 compared to the d2200ph.

Is the throat exit a full 2” on the d3220 and not a 1” exit with essentially a built in wave guide to make it a 2” driver like the d2200?
I don't believe this statement is accurate. The entire compression driver design dimensions are necessary to make it a 2"format. My (real) JBL D3305Ti has a similar design and it is a 2" format.
 
I don't believe this statement is accurate. The entire compression driver design dimensions are necessary to make it a 2"format. My (real) JBL D3305Ti has a similar design and it is a 2" format.
Not a clue if it’s accurate or not. Just an observation looking at the two drivers

3220 is a 3” voice coil and a larger phase plug compared to the 2200. Not knocking the 2200, just curious if the 3220 will sound even better
 
I don't have a good way to subjectively demo them back to back really nor do I know if I could even tell. Without a good way to blind AB after dialing them in enough to run room correction there's just no way I think you could. I guess the objective way to tell if it's better for me is does it take less correction to get there.
 
Each driver (3220/2200) will have it's own sonic signature. I suspect they will sound similar on the same horn. If you don't need 400~450Hz then those other midrange drivers should do well.
 
Not a clue if it’s accurate or not. Just an observation looking at the two drivers

3220 is a 3” voice coil and a larger phase plug compared to the 2200. Not knocking the 2200, just curious if the 3220 will sound even better
I see what you mean though. The phase plugs and mesh are very different.

22001000260560.jpg


3200
1000260561.jpg

Could it be that it sums a little better not having the huge impedance spike close to the crossover frequency/horn roll off? i dunno but I guess I'll find out next week.
 
Back
Top Bottom