• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

a better 2" mid driver?

Given that PRV based in Brasil and most JBL/Selenium drivers are also made there, I wonder if there's a connection betwixt the two companies? There are also similarities in nomenclature, which may or may not be merely coincidental
 
I think JBL/Selenium and PRV share a factory there in South America. Would make sense.

When I traveled to Asia developing product, a lot of the products I developed were made in the same factories as Rockford Fosgate, JBL (car), JL Audio, etc. Same team of engineers, but different projects going on concurrently. For the most part, the Chinese were fairly good about not sharing product designs with third-parties.

The only time you had to worry about your product going to a competitor is/was if you did not honor the quantity you agreed to purchase and left the factory hanging, they would find another company looking for something similar like Boss Audio and other entry level companies and blow the product out through those channels.
 
A titanium diaphragm is a non-starter for me. I have consistently found them to be harsh and fatiguing.
The most experience I’ve had with them is with room correction, dampened horns, acoustically managed room, and even active crossover and haven’t been severely effected. I do perfer the de-10 to the 120 so maybe that supports the sentiment. But I noticed it said “hybrid ti” and thought that was interesting. Anyone know what it might be a composite with?
 
The most experience I’ve had with them is with room correction, dampened horns, acoustically managed room, and even active crossover and haven’t been severely effected. I do perfer the de-10 to the 120 so maybe that supports the sentiment. But I noticed it said “hybrid ti” and thought that was interesting. Anyone know what it might be a composite with?
What’s curious is that the meta data, when you google it, says that it’s a polyamide driver. Perhaps it’s a coaxial driver?
 
while this one doesn't exactly fit the "cheap" rubric, it's a decent price for a coaxial and looks promising, in theory, for a 2-way:

View attachment 3188968
Is this a rebranded BMS 4592- Coax..or a Chinese knockoff stolen design copy? Looks pretty darn similar.
 
Is this a rebranded BMS 4592- Coax..or a Chinese knockoff stolen design copy? Looks pretty darn similar.
I think most of the compression drivers for the car audio market are being made in Brazil. PRV, DS18, Selenium, 5core and more are all made in Brazil, many of them in the same factories.
 
our beloved D2200PH is significantly larger than most 1" drivers, L-R the Timpano D250, PRV D2200PH, Klipsch K128014 & K-68
IMG_1875.jpeg

IMG_1876.jpeg

IMG_1877.jpeg

However, it is utterly dwarfed by the PRV D4500ND-Ph:
IMG_1878.jpeg

IMG_1873.jpeg
It's more than twice as big!
 
While they're both nominally 2" drivers, the D4500 uses a 6.10" neodymium motor with a 4" voice coil on a caption former, with a large displacement, aluminum phase plug and a steep exit angle.
IMG_1869.jpeg

The D2200PH, on the other hand, has a 5-1/4" ferrite motor and a 2" coil with a somewhat shallow exit angle by comparison.
IMG_1870.jpeg

the opening from the phase plug is just 1-1/4" wide
IMG_1872.jpeg

I brought my Mump-ed PRV WG4550 horns back from refinishing them last night and A/B'd them with Boxler's EBX-400 horns and a D2200PH on the other channel. While not exactly comparing apples to apples, the side with the D4500ND-Ph was noticeably more airy and spacious, while the D2200PH with the eliptical EBX-400 horn was warmer and more solid sounding. Both sounded fantastic, but my preferences veer towards the D4500. I'll add that the crossover filters were optimized for the D2200PH, crossing at 525Hz and 5500Hz, a Sunday morning measurement session is due to better tune the the bigger driver, once I wrap up my other projects. While I'll start at 400Hz, I anticipate that I'll end up a bit higher than that for the high pass.
 
Back
Top Bottom