• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A/D/S line pecking order?

I probably made the mistake of telling the person I was interested in picking up the speakers.
There were so many items in need of removal, I suppose the owner gave the first guy to come along with a uhaul to cart everthing away , the call back.
Including alas the 910s buried way back in the room pic.
I think I still waited for a phone call to pick them for quite some time.
That's a bummer! I can see part of the 2nd stand to the right. Maybe call the original owner and see if he has the persons number who got them. You never know, a possible deal may still be possible.
 
That's a bummer! I can see part of the 2nd stand to the right. Maybe call the original owner and see if he has the persons number who got them. You never know, a possible deal may still be possible.
No phone number as it was a CL communication.
I chalk it up to an early bird salvager more interested in the odds and ends than the 910's:p
 
Meant to post this earlier. A couple of weeks ago I completed bases for my 1290s to keep my 2 year old from potentially knocking them over. Not as elaborate as the originals, but I think they ended up looking better than I thought. Either way they do the job. Those spikes go right through the carpet and it takes pretty good force to get them to move at all. I didn’t even drill, instead I attached the mdf squares to the bottom of the speakers with the same double sided tape I use to regrip golf clubs. After sitting over night they’re not separating short of a pry.

bottom line still absolutely loving these speakers!
 

Attachments

  • 89C4FA6E-57AD-451A-8795-A16F6EBA3571.jpeg
    89C4FA6E-57AD-451A-8795-A16F6EBA3571.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 75E76FA4-7A6B-4203-87BD-769453BF792C.jpeg
    75E76FA4-7A6B-4203-87BD-769453BF792C.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 100
The L200/L300 tweeter uses a smaller magnet than the one used in the larger speaker. The efficiency is lower. Here is a breakdown of tweeters -

206-0101 - Used on early 200/300 series. It has a sticky outer coating.
206-0101A - Used on later models. Sticky coating is on inside of dome & the parts can be used interchangeably. The "A" stood for automotive. Models that use this 1" dome tweeter are as follows:

L10, 200, L200, L200c, L200cc, Delta Lab M1, 200i car speaker
300, L300, L300c, L300cc, 300i car speaker

206-0126 - Used in the later versions of some of the above speakers. It has a shiny black plastic dome. A little less efficient than the doped fabric dome but with better detail.

L200e, L300e, 200is, 300is

The 206-0126 can be used interchangeably with any of the 0101 versions but a minor crossover change depending on the model may be needed. Some of them had a series pad on the tweeter & it should be reduced in value.

For any of the above, you'll find the front plate of the tweeter with & without the stamped ADS logo.

Large bookshelf speakers also used a 1" dome tweeter but with a bigger magnet. The earliest versions often had a set of hotdog shaped holes surrounding the tweeter.

206-0100 was later replaced by the 206-0116. They are interchangeable.

The 3-way bookshelves & small towers used a 3/4" dome of identical construction to the above.

206-0107 was replaced by 206-0117. They are interchangeable.

The largest bookshelf (L980) & large tower (L1590) used a 3/4" with larger magnet than any of them. It was the 206-0118 and it has no equivalent.

The L2030 (& maybe the L1530) used the 206-0119. A 1" with samarium cobalt tweeter. Wilson Audio used these in an early version of the WAMM.

For any of the above, you'll find the front plate of the tweeter with & without the stamped ADS logo.

Around 1988, all new models started using the copolymer tweeters. No 3/4" version was made, only a 1". There were essentially 4 versions.

206-0122 rectangular plate (fits earlier rectangular plate routed openings but the plate is thicker.

206-0123 round plate. Identical to the 0122 except for the plate.

206-124 round plate. Same plate as the 0123 but with larger magnet.

206-128 round plate. Identical in size to the 0124 but front plate is billet aluminum. Perhaps the finest tweeter ADS ever made.

Based on some SoundMotors comments I wanted to point out a bit of finding on the newer copolymer tweeters, I had a couple different sets and was noticing that some had very much the ADS sound signature similar but different than the L series sticky domes and others .. seemed a little dead. as an experiment i thought hmmmm why,... so i grabbed a pair of M9s that i know had sat a LONG time unused in not the best of conditions but still looked in beautiful condition. I changed the ferro fluid on one side .. and it was night and day .. that gorgeous open detailed high end of the ADS popped back on one but not the other ... I quickly replaced that ferro fluid and what a world of difference it made. perhaps if they are left to sit to long the ferrofluid can lead to a veiling of a bit of low output on these tweeters (the 206-0122 etc) and these were used in many "over looked" ADS, (B7, B8, M9,, CM7, 6 , L7e 8e, 9e) C400i 750/ii M9/90, Sat 5,6,& 7, the M12 M12/90 had the copolymer as well .. ) and I have found these super easy to replace ferrofluid on and some and it it made no difference but those tended to sound fantastic to start.... but others a world of difference
 
Meant to post this earlier. A couple of weeks ago I completed bases for my 1290s to keep my 2 year old from potentially knocking them over. Not as elaborate as the originals, but I think they ended up looking better than I thought. Either way they do the job. Those spikes go right through the carpet and it takes pretty good force to get them to move at all. I didn’t even drill, instead I attached the mdf squares to the bottom of the speakers with the same double sided tape I use to regrip golf clubs. After sitting over night they’re not separating short of a pry.

bottom line still absolutely loving these speakers!
Those stands look great! And with a 2 year old, KEEP THE GRILLS ON!!!!
 
Based on some SoundMotors comments I wanted to point out a bit of finding on the newer copolymer tweeters, I had a couple different sets and was noticing that some had very much the ADS sound signature similar but different than the L series sticky domes and others .. seemed a little dead. as an experiment i thought hmmmm why,... so i grabbed a pair of M9s that i know had sat a LONG time unused in not the best of conditions but still looked in beautiful condition. I changed the ferro fluid on one side .. and it was night and day .. that gorgeous open detailed high end of the ADS popped back on one but not the other ... I quickly replaced that ferro fluid and what a world of difference it made. perhaps if they are left to sit to long the ferrofluid can lead to a veiling of a bit of low output on these tweeters (the 206-0122 etc) and these were used in many "over looked" ADS, (B7, B8, M9,, CM7, 6 , L7e 8e, 9e) C400i 750/ii M9/90, Sat 5,6,& 7, the M12 M12/90 had the copolymer as well .. ) and I have found these super easy to replace ferrofluid on and some and it it made no difference but those tended to sound fantastic to start.... but others a world of difference

I just got a pair of CM5s a few months ago and they have a copolymer tweeter. I admit that I was biased against them. I had a pair of Boston Acoustics A400s with copolymer tweeters, and they were decent except not quite as crystal clear as the ADS L1230s.
I was and still am shocked at the clarity of the CM5s. Not all copolymer tweeters are the same. I got the CM5s out of curiosity of the 24db sloped crossover. I replaced a pair of L300s with them for a small bedroom stereo system. I can only dream of where ADS would be as far as sound goes if they didn't get bought out.
I want a pair of the L1590/3s that are on Rich's website. Those look incredible. I can't find any information about them anywhere, and Rich didn't answer my questions about them, design, crossover specs, or any info I could use to build a pair. Anyway have a nice SAFE holiday everyone.:)
 
PSA. A set of the NPU’s (1530’s) on flea bay right now. I’m not affiliated w the seller but they’re rare and look great
 
I found two of the L1530's for sale in Pewaukee Wisconsin CL. One with a decent price the other too high for my taste and both needing some love on the wood and grill fabric.

Special Note, if anyone gets interested in the lower priced one, be very careful when you move that one. There is some Riser damage and you do not want to walk that cab. Use a dolly and do not lean the speaker back. You risk more damage to the trim when you place any weight on the back end.

Garry~
 
They do? Both the lower woofers are trashed... but the price does seem to be inline with that issue.

John
Thats how i felt too I reached out on them am considering them they will need a recone and it also looks like one of the mids has a big blemish on it
 
$65 for a pair of 1230's is an outstanding score.

there are others in the ADS line (all with the L- prefix),
300
400
500
570
630
670
700

my brain could be just messing with me but i think there were also a;
510
880
980
could be others that i missed, its been 25 years or so.
There is also the L1 which I have a pair mated with the 1500 Sub system. Wonderful combination.
 
Is he in Arizona? If so he up spec'd my 10" PB1500 woofers to the SD. I do believe Richard was his name and was Chinese.
Originally Posted by portisphish
NO. His name is Richard So.




He told me he worked for them before they were bought out...wasn't that about 2001?

Anyway, I thought I'd update you all on my a/d/s 910 repairs. As it turns out I had every driver repaired by Richard So, and both crossovers repaired. I recieved the drivers a few days ago, and just got finished soldering all the wires to the drivers. I must say that Richard did an excellent job...the speakes look and sound great. The price was unbelievable compared to what others quoted me for recones not using genuine a/d/s parts. The packing job he did was fantastic, shipped quick, too. Overall, I am very happy with Richard, and have no problem reccomending him. I did ask him, if he wanted more work of this type. He said he has a very limited amount of parts left, and when they're gone...that's it, but if other people wanted work done, he would accept the job if he has the parts. PM me for contact info if you are interested.

I did have a slight problem with the plug on one of the crossovers. It wasn't making a solid connection. I put some aluminum foil pieces in the plug, and that seems to have worked for now, but wish there was a better, more permanent solution.

The speakers sound great. Very smooth and detailed, with a nice kick of bass. In the little listening I've done, I'm very pleased. Drums sound particularly nice. Even without the stands, I am not finding them too bass heavy, which surprises me in a good way. I am on the lookout for the swivel stands if anyone sees a set keep me in mind. They are being run off of a vintage optonica sa-5151, which is a bit bright to begin with, so this might be part of it. I was thinking of matching up a tube amp with them, but am afraid of giving them enough power. Anyone know the sensitivity of these speakers?

Anyway, here is a couple of pictures of Richard's work. Before and after of one of the woofer's, all 4 woofers, and midrange/tweet/crossover work.
 
Back
Top Bottom