• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A/D/S line pecking order?

If you like, I can give you pictures and detailed measurements for the factory bases.




It's great that you can enjoy them right from the get-go. Sometimes we get things we want to like and find we have to tweak this and adjust that, because we want so much for something to live up to our preconceived expectations. I am not saying there won't be things you might dial in for a better experience, but it's sure nice to be able to just plug in and enjoy without feeling something is missing.

Did you post the design for the bases? I'd be interested.
 
So I'm here because of a mischievous kitten who decided that cloth grilles would be a fun scratching post. Clearly the execs at ADS were thinking about the plight of cat owners when they introduced the metal grilles (so thanks for that). All that said, I'm now the proud owner of some ADS L710s.

Now that I've read through 58 pages of fun and praise about this wonderful company and it's offerings, I feel like I can add my 2 cents. I currently run a Sansui 5000a that powered Dynaco A25s, both were mainstays in my system as nothing I found within my budget knocked them out (there are plans to move up to a restored Sansui Eight soon and I'll report back then). From JBL L100 Century's, Spendor BC2's, OLAs, to a set of EPI 100s that now reside in a friends system, the Dynaco's have remained the smoothest of the bunch that can handle almost any genre, and are quite easy to listen to for hours on end to boot. As my first set of speakers, I'd be hard pressed to ever let them go.

After narrowing down my cat considerate speaker options down to ADS, given they seem to do metal grilles better than most, I opted for the L710s primarily because of how well-regarded they are across this forum, but also because they're just a tad bigger than my A25s and would fit nicely on the stands I bought for them.

First, the review cat owners need to hear: she got her claw nearly stuck a few times and now has no desire to scratch or climb the L710s. She can hop up top, but that's about it. 10/10 cat rating - the rest is just icing on the cake.

Second, the review for the rest of you. I ran them through their paces with a variety of genres, from Willie Nelson to Fatboy Slim. In short, I don't have all that much to add that hasn't been said before - these speakers do it all effortlessly and leave you with a grin on your face. As a condo-dweller, I simply do not need wall shaking bass (and the complaints from my neighbors that would inevitably follow). All I get is what I want: tight, refined bass that has just enough punch to remind me these could definitely piss my neighbors off. The mids and highs deliver superbly and fill the room with precise, yet jovial noise. And when I close my eyes, I can hear the sound coming from in between the speakers even at low levels, something I can't say the A25s could do until I turned the volume up about half way.

In my mind, the L710s have attained keeper status as a well-rounded speaker that would seem to fit in any apartment/condo setting quite well, particularly ones shared with our furry friends. Thanks for the years of knowledge in this thread, glad to have finally joined the ADS club.
 
Welcome to the club, but I warn you it is addicting when you hear all the information contained on the recording. Listen to familiar music you love and see if there is now new notes you hear. ADS is so underrated and overlooked just because the factory is shut down. A hidden gem of sound reproduction, still available at an incredible value, and still supported by one of the finest curators of museum piece quality speakers, Rich So, and when reconditioned they are good for another 30 years. So well designed and constructed. Enjoy:jump:
 
Hello and yes I have been addicted since I owned the L1530's and now the L1 and L520's. I am looking at installing a pair of super clean Dynaco MK111Mono amps @60watts ea, I can bring that down to around 40 watts switching from Kt88's to 6l6's. Does any one see a problem lying ahead on this venture? However I just took the lid on the pair and found like new KT88's made in England UK Genelex tubes all test 100%. Oh boy,,,,,,,,
 
Last edited:
Not that I need another pair of speakers, but it is an ADS and they all sound great, price was good.

Got me a pair of 1230's a couple of weeks back. Amp I am using on them is a Luxman L-480 but plan to put a Bryston 8Bst and biamp them passively.

1230-1.jpg 1230-2.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 1230-1.jpg
    1230-1.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 4
You will Love those big boys. Had to sell now in an apartment, The L520's with the PB1500 sub system is very reminisant of of 1530's especially with tube pre amp and Belles Power Amps, Robust
 
Not that I need another pair of speakers, but it is an ADS and they all sound great, price was good.

Got me a pair of 1230's a couple of weeks back. Amp I am using on them is a Luxman L-480 but plan to put a Bryston 8Bst and biamp them passively.

View attachment 2068952 View attachment 2068953

What do you mean bi-amp passively? Do you have the owners manual? Only way I know to bi-amp these is with active crossovers. Please explain to me how you are going to do it.
 
What do you mean bi-amp passively? Do you have the owners manual? Only way I know to bi-amp these is with active crossovers. Please explain to me how you are going to do it.

I am not sure. I quickly read the owners manual and it said the bottom slide switch is for biamping. So I assumed this switch separates the crossover like the shorting bars (not sure what these are called anymore) on biampable/biwireable speakers. When I get around to it, I will figure this out and if need be, I have several active crossovers.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/biamping-ads-l1230s.211257/page-2

Found this thread and doubt now if I will biamp since I only have space for a single amp. I was going to us my Bryston 8Bst amp which is 4 channels but only one set of inputs.
 
Hello and yes I have been addicted since I owned the L1530's and now the L1 and L520's. I am looking at installing a pair of super clean Dynaco MK111Mono amps @60watts ea, I can bring that down to around 40 watts switching from Kt88's to 6l6's. Does any one see a problem lying ahead on this venture? However I just took the lid on the pair and found like new KT88's made in England UK Genelex tubes all test 100%. Oh boy,,,,,,,,
I'm not sure using 6L6's would be a good idea. I know with the ST-70 that is only 35wpc made to use EL34's or 6CA7's, using 6L6's can be used short term, but not optimal. Can I ask why you would want to lower the output? Its perfectly fine to use speakers rated for lower power than the amplifier can produce.
You just don't turn the volume up so high that the speakers clip. I run lower wattage speakers with larger amplifiers all the time. I was using a 200wpc amplifier with speakers rated for 70 watts without issue.
 
UPDATE: I Now have the two MK111's in my posession and have removed the cage top and too my very pleasant surprise contains 4 beautiful KT88's made in England UK. Al four test over 100%. So all I need to do is some volt meter testing of resistors and some cap testing and buy a variac and take it slow. The two monos have zero rust and are in original boxes along with all paper work including kit instruction with schematics that a blind man can read the print is so large. Shuck the 6l6 idea.
 
UPDATE: I Now have the two MK111's in my posession and have removed the cage top and too my very pleasant surprise contains 4 beautiful KT88's made in England UK. Al four test over 100%. So all I need to do is some volt meter testing of resistors and some cap testing and buy a variac and take it slow. The two monos have zero rust and are in original boxes along with all paper work including kit instruction with schematics that a blind man can read the print is so large. Shuck the 6l6 idea.
Way cool! We need pics though!
 
I'm not sure using 6L6's would be a good idea. I know with the ST-70 that is only 35wpc made to use EL34's or 6CA7's, using 6L6's can be used short term, but not optimal. Can I ask why you would want to lower the output? Its perfectly fine to use speakers rated for lower power than the amplifier can produce.
You just don't turn the volume up so high that the speakers clip. I run lower wattage speakers with larger amplifiers all the time. I was using a 200wpc amplifier with speakers rated for 70 watts without issue.

Speakers won't clip, that would be the amp. Higher wattage amps on speakers that don't need as much power IS safe. Like you said you just don't push them to the point of damage. When you try to drive speakers hard with low power amps, that is when the amp clips the waveform and sends distortion, and high frequency signals that fry the tweeters with heat. My ADS speakers have built in protection on the tweeters, and it cuts out if there is an issue and then resets after cool down. Others have fuses that blow to protect the tweeters. I am driving speakers rated at 300 watts max with an amp putting out 500 watts into 4 ohms. Sometimes during music and movies you can get peaks of over a 1000 watts. Good to have some headroom.
 
I quickly replaced that ferro fluid and what a world of difference it made. perhaps if they are left to sit to long the ferrofluid can lead to a veiling of a bit of low output on these tweeters (the 206-0122 etc) and these were used in many "over looked" ADS, (B7, B8, M9,, CM7, 6 , L7e 8e, 9e) C400i 750/ii M9/90, Sat 5,6,& 7, the M12 M12/90 had the copolymer as well .. ) and I have found these super easy to replace ferrofluid on and some and it it made no difference but those tended to sound fantastic to start.... but others a world of difference

Good insight, michigannick. I recently picked up a pair of L7e and have a set of unused S500 satellites. The S500 sound fine for little satellites, to my ears, but the L7e lack something at the top end. I'll replace the ferrofluid and see if it makes a difference.
 
Good insight, michigannick. I recently picked up a pair of L7e and have a set of unused S500 satellites. The S500 sound fine for little satellites, to my ears, but the L7e lack something at the top end. I'll replace the ferrofluid and see if it makes a difference.

I’m curious to know how that turns out. My L7s also sound flat in the top end compared to my 45 year old L400s.
 
https://www.marchandelec.com/
This is a good source for reasonably priced active crossovers. I kind of like the XM16. GD70 could even use this one. It can tri-amplify as well as bi-amp. Like ADS Linkwitz-Riley design of course.
To the right of the Facebook ad click on the crossover selection table. Page 7 in the 1230 handbook gives a nice thorough explanation on the benefits of bi-amping. Less distortion and if you can believe it even better transients. Imagine ADS clearer than they already are? Sometimes I wish I was rich LOL. Have a nice, and safe holiday everyone.
 
Back
Top Bottom