• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A preferred version of a MC240?

longgone

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi...
Are there different versions of the MC240?
Is there a preferred version?
Is there a way to identify a preferred version MC240, if there is such a thing?
I am new to the 240.
Thank you for any response and info.
 
Register to hide this ad
I think all standard MC240 production versions are similar. McIntosh also made special order versions for particular applications.
 
There are three versions - early, middle, and late. [I believe the McIntosh compendium details each.] I've owned 'em all and have no preference. All sound sublime with a restoration.
 
once you get a 240, there is a ton of info here, but would suggest as a start, replace the bias rectifier and voltage doubler caps. have found the main PS filter usually will test good...
 
As I lived in an area where voltages were around 122 to 124 volts I preferred the unit with the voltage selector switch. 240's went through output tubes a lot faster than 275's has been my experience. Yes the amp won't put out 55 watts with the switch in the 125 volt position, but it will come close. It is a 40 watt per channel amplifier after all.
 
Back
Top Bottom