• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADS Driver roll call

The 1590 1 used 206-0119 and 206-0213 the 1590 2 used 206-0118 and 206-0214. I think the 980 is the only one to use that mid. What does it look like does it have a chamber on the back? Is the parts list still up in the data base?? I saved a copy. Are the woofers any good? If you have all the drivers and crossovers why not make some new cabs?
 
The 1590 1 used 206-0119 and 206-0213 the 1590 2 used 206-0118 and 206-0214. I think the 980 is the only one to use that mid. What does it look like does it have a chamber on the back? Is the parts list still up in the data base?? I saved a copy. Are the woofers any good? If you have all the drivers and crossovers why not make some new cabs?
The mid does not have a chamber on it. But will it work in a 1590? So the tweet will work then, good. All the components are in excellent condition including the woofers and xovers.

I have my DIY JBL's (click the link in my signature) and a pair of JBL 4425's so I have no need for these. The cabs have water damage at the bottom and have separated at the seams. Plus they are heavily scratched up. The L980's are very close to my 4425's but the 4425's beat it in soundstage and bass. The imaging in excellent in both but I'd give the edge to the ADS there. I've chatted with soundmotor on refurbing the cabs and I've decided that no matter what I do they are going to look like crap so I'm parting them out. The good news is someone out there with a pair of 980's or 1590's that needs parts will be able to get their speakers working properly again. :thmbsp:

BTW the ADS Reference Website is still up and running. I'm the main supporter of it, Sigurd and I started it, but I didn't know that parts list was available on it.
 
That mid is not listed as a replacement and has no rear chamber.The 980 2 and both 1590s have a chambered mid. Seems like it was only used in 980 1. It probably would work but if replaced as a pair. It would not be my first choice if you wanted to keep your speakers correct and original. Show us a picture of the magnet.
 
Ordering...

This is a newbie query, but where can I get my hands on some of these drivers? Is it a matter of eBay? Can they be gotten new, esp. the main driver, such as the 10" on my ADS 880 IIs?

Regardless, this driver replacement list is a great resource.
 
The original copmany that made ads speakers is no longer in business. You can find used parts on ebay pretty regularly. Richard So has a store on ebay as well and he has parts to rebuild your drivers and some nos as well. His store ads speakers does good work and is fairly priced.
 
The good news is someone out there with a pair of 980's or 1590's that needs parts will be able to get their speakers working properly again. :thmbsp:

BTW the ADS Reference Website is still up and running. I'm the main supporter of it, Sigurd and I started it, but I didn't know that parts list was available on it.

Thanks much for both the spares (bought a pair of 980/1.5's new - that's /1 drivers with /2 polyswitches) - the eBay pair I just bought will be glad for the parts. That plus the spare NOS 12" I picked up from Mr So leaves me in good stead for keeping these beasties the rest of my life, as in they'll have to pry them from my cold dead ears.

And thanks for the reference web site, it's been *awesome*. Every time I thought I was going to have something to contribute, it was already there!

Best,
- Jeff
"that's a heap of a/d/s" - soundmotor
 
Hi everyone.

I hope it's OK to post here, I ran across this thread while looking for information on a driver I need to replace.

I got these boxes for next-to-nothing recently:

http://flickcabin.com/public/viewset/46467

(the pictures are lousy, sorry about that, need to take better ones)

They looked very promising (and still do, to be fair) as a project but one of the LF drivers turned out to be frozen stiff. So I need to replace both of them.

The problem is that there's NO information on these speakers anywhere on the internet. I did visually match the HF unit to a Peerless model but then someone on another forum told me that it also could be a Braun unit, which were also used in ADS speakers. So I searched around for images of Braun and ADS woofers and indeed, they look quite similar to the one I have.

Here are some pictures of the driver itself:

http://flickcabin.com/public/viewset/46478

And these are the measurements:

14e19jk.png


And a few shots of the boxes from the original sale:

32331108.jpg
32331108_10873296.jpg
32331108_10873297.jpg


Ideally I'd like to replace the drivers with something suitable, doesn't have to be the actual replacement part, for as little as possible. I got the things for 10€ and wouldn't want to spend 10x as much for the drivers - I'm a bit strapped at the moment.

What would you say is the 'nominal' size of this woofer? 6.5"? 7"? It seems to fall somewhere between the two...

Would appreciate any and all help/comments/suggestions/etc. What do you think of them? They feel really sturdy and well-built.

Cheers!

D
 
They look very similar to the earlier version of the ADS L400. I agree that the woofer and tweeter are Braun designs. ADS refers to the woofer as 7" although it is a bit smaller than that.

They will probably sound very nice if you can find a decently matched woofer. Check the impedance. It's probably 4 ohm.
 
They look very similar to the earlier version of the ADS L400. I agree that the woofer and tweeter are Braun designs. ADS refers to the woofer as 7" although it is a bit smaller than that.

They will probably sound very nice if you can find a decently matched woofer. Check the impedance. It's probably 4 ohm.

So would a woofer sold as 6.5" work? Um, could you possibly give me a pointer or two on what might be suitable replacements? I hope I'm not 'wearing out my welcome' as it were but I just don't know much about speakers... :o
 
So would a woofer sold as 6.5" work? Um, could you possibly give me a pointer or two on what might be suitable replacements? I hope I'm not 'wearing out my welcome' as it were but I just don't know much about speakers... :o

The ADS woofer 206-0315 (supersedes to 206-0342) measures slightly more than 6-7/8" (6.875"). Now, 17.5cm (your woofer) converts to 6.89", just slightly more than 6.875". The frame is the same shape with 4 mounting screwlocations. I'm sure the ADS woofer would be a drop-in and would probably sound just fine.

John
 
ADS L810 and L620 Receiver?

I have a very stupid question but what kind of receivers are you guys running with your L810 or l620? I have a set of both and I am in need of a new receiver to power them. What you guys recommend me getting that is not going to cost out the but?
 
Hush....it's only 6 pages long. I can type all night with my back stories, and how every other topic in the world is related to ADS speakers. But not here: driver part numbers, and maybe crossover part numbers, to match model numbers by series, only.

I know...it's already been done and all that. The data base is a little to convoluted...IMHO. :yes:
 
I cant find a 0206-0323 anywhere, but it looks like the NAD 20 speaker used an identical woofer made by braun. Should work yes? both are 4 ohm and look exactly the same.
 
Back
Top Bottom