• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Advent 4002 vs. 5002

tonedeaf57

AK Member
Subscriber
Have the 4002's...like them a lot. By many accounts the 5002's might just be the nicest sounding of all Advents. Does anyone know if the only difference betwwn the two is the size of the cabinets?
 
Register to hide this ad
Yes, the 4002 replaced the Advent/1 which replaced the Smaller Advent although the Advent/1 sacrificed the lowest octave since it didn't use specialized drivers. It just used the same drivers as the New Advent in a smaller cabinet.

The 5002 replaced the New Advent which replaced the original Advent Loudspeaker. These all had basically the same performance, bass wise, with each having their own devotees in the higher frequencies.

So, the 4002 uses the same drivers as the 5002 in a smaller cabinet and will sacrifice the lowest octave also. Most people say they still sound great, however.

Doug
 
So, the 4002 uses the same drivers as the 5002 in a smaller cabinet and will sacrifice the lowest octave also. Most people say they still sound great, however.

And I have to agree. Reason I asked was I was thinking about building a set of 5002/5012-sized cabs out of walnut and harvesting the 4002 innards. Now I'm thinking of just building the cabs to the 4002 size. Kinda thinking the smaller box is delivering plenty of bass, plus I can re-use the original grills. I can't seem to leave well enough alone....
 
Last edited:
Still been tossing this around. I've just made arrangements to to buy a pair of walnut OLA's with correct tweeters but funky woofers for a great price. I think I want to take the drivers out of the 4002's and stick 'm in the cabs. I also have a pair of 5002 crossovers I want to recap and use. The positions of both the tweeters and the woofers are a little different between between the old boxes and the new boxes. Will that make a dfference at all?
 
First off, I have A/B compared OLA, NLA, and 5002s and in my opinion the OLAs and NLAs are far
better than the 5002. People who _think_ they sound better are probably just reasoning that
they have a better, more modern tweeter so they must sound better. Well, they have an entirely
different crossover design that was not done by the original designers - they sound like a speaker
with excellent bass but a poorly designed crossover.

If you decide to try the OLAs I'd recap the crossover, and transplant the woofers from your 4002s
but keep the OLA tweeter and XO. Leave one each way to start and A/B in mono to see what you
think for yourself. It is very important to play tracks with bass in the mid 30s to low 40s because
that is where the speakers will be different. 50Hz up the smaller Advents have a very slight
advantage due to higher Qtc.

I currenlty own, OLA, NLA, 5002, 5012, and Advent/1 and Ewaves in the works - all fully restored.
Edit: My younger son has a pair of Franken-NLAs where we spent an afternoon and designed a
completely new mini-monitor style crossover network. Probably the best sounding Advents ever.

I'm the author of this page: http://baselaudiolab.com/ADVENT_LA_XO.html
 
Last edited:
If you decide to try the OLAs I'd recap the crossover, and transplant the woofers from your 4002s
but keep the OLA tweeter and XO. Leave one each way to start and A/B in mono to see what you
think for yourself. It is very important to play tracks with bass in the mid 30s to low 40s because
that is where the speakers will be different. 50Hz up the smaller Advents have a very slight
advantage due to higher Qtc.

I like this idea. OLA's were my first real speakers in 1974 and I always regretted getting rid of them. Haven't heard a pair in a while...who knows, I might decide I like the OLA's better than my 4002/5002 effort.
 
Last edited:
I was very impressed by the Advent/1 when I first heard them since I was expecting a significant loss of bass. I don't remember exactly, but I think that they chose the decrease setting for the fixed crossover, is the resistor 2.5 ohms? Not sure, there might have been more than one value used over the life. That, combined with the slightly higher Qtc which gives a bit more baffle step balances them better than the NLA, in the normal position. Fc doesn't go up as much as I expected and the higher Qtc helps to keep the 40-45 Hz output pretty close to the larger Advents. I measured Fc and Qtc for the Advent/1, fairly sure I reported it at CSP pages but that was a while ago.

Of course you can run NLA in decrease but from what I've read I don't think many people do that.
The OLAs decrease is not as useful since it employs an inductor that tilts down the top end whereas
the NLA is shelved down.

We ran our Advent/1s with my son's synth drum set for practicing since they were pretty
beat up. The amp was a Proton 40 W RMS/ch that would do long (.5 sec) peaks of 160W - perfect
for drums. The kick and punch was quite impressive considering that it is uncompressed.
 
Last edited:
Last edited:
Wow, it looks like I've tapped into one of the resident Advent experts. Of course I'm planning on following you're suggestions, but please realize that this is new territory for me. Rebuild a Triumph motorcycle carb, field-strip an M1 Garand, brew a pleasent pale ale, gotcha covered. Reworking crossovers, etc., is like landing on Mars to me right now. So, I'm going to try and digest 'baffle step compensation' to see what I can make of it. Guessing right now I'll have some questions. Appreciate the insight.
 
Oooooo.....a little disappointed. Went to pick up the walnut boxes...boxes as expected and in need of a little TLC, but due to a bit of mis-communication the tweets were not over easy as expected. Oh well, plan A was to transplant all 4002 drivers into a full size cabinet. Might have to stay that course....
 
Last edited:
Wow, it looks like I've tapped into one of the resident Advent experts. Of course I'm planning on following you're suggestions, but please realize that this is new territory for me. Rebuild a Triumph motorcycle carb, field-strip an M1 Garand, brew a pleasent pale ale, gotcha covered. Reworking crossovers, etc., is like landing on Mars to me right now. So, I'm going to try and digest 'baffle step compensation' to see what I can make of it. Guessing right now I'll have some questions. Appreciate the insight.

Lots of people here will help you so don't worry about it. I also like working on cars been it has been a long time since I have.
 
Oooooo.....a little disappointed. Went to pick up the walnut boxes...boxes as expected and in need of a little TLC, but due to a bit of mis-communication the tweets were not over easy as expected. Oh well, plan A was to transplant all 4002 drivers into a full size cabinet. Might have to stay that course....

People remove the stock Advent tweeter in the econowave rebuild, look it up here and there are probably a lot of people with tweeters to sell.
 
Haven't checked in for a while and decided to today. What timing! Yeah, I'm kind of torn with going with what I have (all 4002 drivers) and placing them in early OLA walnut veneer cabs, or chasing down original tweeters. Not sure which path I'll end up following but I'm curious about the OLA crossovers. If I would go all-4002, could the crossovers be made to work with them simply by recapping or would it be a bit more involved?
 
Last edited:
Does this mean I can replace a tweeter in the 4002 with a tweeter from the 5002?
Thanks

Yes, the 4002 replaced the Advent/1 which replaced the Smaller Advent although the Advent/1 sacrificed the lowest octave since it didn't use specialized drivers. It just used the same drivers as the New Advent in a smaller cabinet.

The 5002 replaced the New Advent which replaced the original Advent Loudspeaker. These all had basically the same performance, bass wise, with each having their own devotees in the higher frequencies.

So, the 4002 uses the same drivers as the 5002 in a smaller cabinet and will sacrifice the lowest octave also. Most people say they still sound great, however.

Doug
 
Back
Top Bottom