• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Air Guns

The .22 version is rated at 1,120 fps. The speed of sound is 1,125 fps so it almost breaks the sound barrier.

I bet it's still pretty-loud though.
You can also shoot slugs designed for high powered pellet guns for more power and accuracy.
 
Use a heavier pellet to slow it down so it doesn't go supersonic. Actual pellets don't perform accurately at supersonic speeds. It's also therefore quieter if it doesn't break the sound barrier.

I just use these.

20260601_195958.jpg

20260601_200414.jpg
 
Last edited:
I shoot a 200m benchrest 22RF silhouette match every month. The fellow on the bench next to me was shooting a pre-charge FX 22cal air-rifle with the same NF scope I was using. He was shooting 40gr "pellets", the same as my 22LR ammo. The match winner shot a 62, I managed a 61 and the guy shooting the FX air rifle came in 3rd with a 60. He had a Garmin crony and his 33" barrel was getting 925fps, which is not far off my 1068 22LR ammo. His magazine held 18 pellets and he said he needs to recharge the rifle's tank about every 20rds to hold a steady muzzle velocity. All-in-all, quite impressive performance.
 
200 meters with .22LR (never mind an airgun) is pretty good. I need to look into some PRS22/NRL22 matches around here.
 
200 meters with .22LR (never mind an airgun) is pretty good. I need to look into some PRS22/NRL22 matches around here.
They shoot a 200m 22BPCR silhouette about 30mi north of Salina at the Tappan Hill range and in Stillwater, OK and the OKC Gun Club.
 
This looks like a pretty-good deal here. It's supposedly "On Sale".

Might be OK but for that price, I'm skeptical. A proper spring rifle like an Air Arms, Weihrauch or Diana is going to cost a lot more and probably for good reasons. A good spring airgun scope runs you that.
 
To tell you the truth, I'd rather have one of the newer gas piston guns than a spring piston. The gas pistons last longer and require almost zero maintenance. They also produce as high or higher velocities as spring pistons. Hatsan now offers a full line of gas-piston guns as they start to move away from spring pistons.

This is my favorite break barrel right here. It is also the least-expensive one I have. It's lightweight, indestructable, and very accurate. Just what I need for pest-control out at the pond. I've killed a lot of pesky critters with this thing. Worth every cent it cost me. I think I got mine for $99 on sale last year. I have more-powerful guns I paid more for but whenever I just go out to do some daily pest-control, this is the one I grab with a tin full of assorted pellets.


Here's from the internet....
While traditional coiled-metal springs are still produced, manufacturers are shifting heavily toward gas piston (gas ram/nitro piston) technology. Gas pistons offer smoother cocking, less vibration, and can be left cocked for extended periods without degrading, making them a popular choice for both entry-level and hunting models.

Current Market Trends
    • Entry to Mid-Tier Dominance: Brands like Crosman (Benjamin) and Umarex have transitioned a massive portion of their break-barrel lines to gas piston powerplants.
    • Hybrid Options: Some manufacturers now offer convertible models. For example, the Diana Model 34 EMS ships with a coiled spring but is fully engineered to accept gas pistons.
    • The High-End Holdout: Premium target and field manufacturers (like Weihrauch and Air Arms) still favor coiled metal springs, as enthusiasts frequently tune and repair them for competition shooting.
 
To tell you the truth, I'd rather have one of the newer gas piston guns than a spring piston. The gas pistons last longer and require almost zero maintenance. They also produce as high or higher velocities as spring pistons. Hatsan now offers a full line of gas-piston guns as they start to move away from spring pistons.

This is my favorite break barrel right here. It is also the least-expensive one I have. It's lightweight, indestructable, and very accurate. Just what I need for pest-control out at the pond. I've killed a lot of pesky critters with this thing. Worth every cent it cost me. I think I got mine for $99 on sale last year. I have more-powerful guns I paid more for but whenever I just go out to do some daily pest-control, this is the one I grab with a tin full of assorted pellets.


Here's from the internet....
While traditional coiled-metal springs are still produced, manufacturers are shifting heavily toward gas piston (gas ram/nitro piston) technology. Gas pistons offer smoother cocking, less vibration, and can be left cocked for extended periods without degrading, making them a popular choice for both entry-level and hunting models.

Current Market Trends
    • Entry to Mid-Tier Dominance: Brands like Crosman (Benjamin) and Umarex have transitioned a massive portion of their break-barrel lines to gas piston powerplants.
    • Hybrid Options: Some manufacturers now offer convertible models. For example, the Diana Model 34 EMS ships with a coiled spring but is fully engineered to accept gas pistons.
    • The High-End Holdout: Premium target and field manufacturers (like Weihrauch and Air Arms) still favor coiled metal springs, as enthusiasts frequently tune and repair them for competition shooting.
A gas piston is relatively cheap to make. There aren't many (if any) after market spring makers any more. James Maccari was one of the last. You can still get OEM springs for Diana, Weihrauch and Air Arms. It is true a spring will take a set of left cocked for more that a couple hours.
 
The only down side to a gas piston gun is that I don't think they are repairable. Certainly not by the end user.
 
While you can't "repair" a gas piston, you can repair a gas piston gun. You just have to replace the entire sealed cylinder instead of a spring which costs more than a spring but they don't wear out very often and require less maintenance. I have never bought a replacement cylinder (never had to yet) but they cost like $15-$30. For the price of my Gamo Rocket, if it ever wears out I'll probably just chuck the gun and buy a new one for $100. It's already scratched-up from me banging it around outside. It's got a plastic stock. It's pretty-awesome for the money. I wouldn't want to be taking an expensive one out to the dock every day beating it up. They are more for the range.

Which is better, spring or gas piston air rifle?

Spring Piston or Gas Ram? A Beginning Shooters Perspective ...Neither is universally better; it depends on your priorities. Gas piston rifles are quieter, smoother to shoot, and can be left cocked without damage. Spring piston rifles are cheaper, easier to repair, and preferred by purists who enjoy tuning their guns.

Gas Piston (Gas Ram / Nitro Piston)
Gas pistons replace the traditional coiled metal spring with a sealed cylinder filled with compressed nitrogen or air.

  • Shot Cycle: They deliver a faster, sharper "snap" and produce far less vibration or mechanical "twang" than springers.
  • Storage: They can be left cocked for extended periods (such as while hunting) without taking a "set" or losing power, which is ideal for quick follow-up shots.
  • Cold Weather: They are generally more resistant to extreme temperature fluctuations than springers.
  • Maintenance: While durable, if a gas ram leaks or fails, the entire sealed unit usually has to be replaced rather than fixed.

Spring Piston
Spring piston rifles utilize a heavy-duty coiled steel spring that compresses and releases when the trigger is pulled.

  • Longevity & Repairs: While a spring can lose power or break down if left cocked too long, they are much easier and cheaper to replace. You can easily swap out or tailor a spring to your liking.
  • Cocking Effort: Because of how springs are wound, they tend to offer better ergonomic leverage, often making them feel easier to cock over and over.
  • Shot Cycle: They feature the "classic" springer feel, delivering a distinct, heavier vibration and twang during recoil.

Which One Should You Choose?
  • Choose Gas Piston if you are a hunter or plinker who wants a smooth, self-contained rifle that can be stored cocked and won't make a loud metal "twang" when fired.
  • Choose Spring Piston if you want maximum mechanical independence, plan on doing your own DIY maintenance, or prefer the traditional, time-tested "thump" of a classic airgun
 
I don't need a whole big sales pitch, I'm familiar with the system.
So long as parts are available, it's a good system.
 
Karma Red Panda 30 cal. Designed for 100 yard benchrest matches. The monster is just over 20 pounds ready to shoot.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260709_131552162.jpg
    PXL_20260709_131552162.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 9
Wow, I just discovered this thread and I'm an avid air-gunner! I have many rifles and pistols, but my main interest that I concentrate on, are magnum springers... my main rifles I currently am in love with are my Diana 34-.177, Diana 500 Magnum-.22, Diana/Mauser AM03-.177, and my new acquisition of an Air Arms TX200 HC-.22!! An absolute work of art! Going out shortly to punch paper with the Air Arms! New scope rings arriving today for the Mauser... :)
Ooooops! Forgot- Scopes are 2x Vortex Crossfire II's @4-16x44, an awesome Redfield@ 3-9x50, and a Hawke Panorama @4-12x40
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom