• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Altec Model 19 Technical Info? Similar Econowave?

I picked up these boxes at a very good price. I think they're home made, cut out for a 12":
I like the look - like an old TV, lol. I only just noticed that the top panel grain goes one
way, and the side panels opposite, probably DIY.
I think that they look very vintage as a low boy, but if I was to redo them with veneer I
might turn them to be more like a high boy.
TV SPEAKER.jpg
 
Last edited:
Those angled legs seem to sell for absurd prices. If you go highboy, you might be able to recoup some of your investment.
 
I picked up these boxes at a very good price. I think they're home made, cut out for a 12":
I like the look - like an old TV, lol. I only just noticed that the top panel grain goes one
way, and the side panels opposite, probably DIY.
I think that they look very vintage as a low boy, but if I was to redo them with veneer I
might turn them to be more like a high boy.
View attachment 3764577

I need to add backs to close it up and planning to use two 3" ports out the back since a slot port out the front will take a lot more work.
Have to open up the baffle for the 15".
 
Last edited:
The baffle board is held with screws from the inside, removed them and found that the molding had to come off. Held in with finishing nails and no glue at all.
Thinking about a slot port again, but I don't think that it will flow well through the "rattan" front grille, or an open slot across the bottom, not sure how that will look.
 
Last edited:
I've been interested in the Altec Model 19 (M19) since I was in my teens and read the review in
High Fidelity 1978. Page 37 in the .pdf:
More:

NICE - not mine:
View attachment 3267398


Lately, I've been thinking about buying a pair and that led to wanting to first try something similar by way
of an Econowave. I can think of doing an Econowave as close as possible to the original, or with one of the
upgraded crossovers, and also one that retains the good qualities but improved, on a budget, as much
as possible. Also, one with a MiniDSP so that crossover changes can be easily tried.
I don't need very high efficiency so I don't mind giving up 3-6 dB in an Econowave version.

I don't know a lot about Altec speakers and that is the reason for this thread. If there's full documentation
somewhere please point me to it.
The purpose of this thread is to learn as much as possible about the original Model 19, including:
Box size (volume) and dimensions,
Nice scratch build here: Altec Model 19 Speaker Building Project
Port size and tuning,
Drivers used originally and if they were improved along the way, etc.
What are considered the best substitutes as improvements/replacements for the originals.
Crossovers, original, Z19, others and impressions of them if anyone has compared them.

I've read on here that these are end game speakers, so I don't need to be convinced about listening impressions,
I do want to hear about faults and how to fix them and how any upgrade changes the sound.

First question is how would one build a clone (this is not my plan but I want to understand them) and what
upgrades make them the best sounding speakers possible?

I think that I can work out a much cheaper Econowave version once I know how the original was built, but I
do welcome suggestions for drivers, horns, etc.

Thanks all
 
Back
Top Bottom