• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Altec Type I Magnificents in FL $999 RUN!!!!!

Hum, not far from me! I really don't care how much they are worth as I don't flip things just for money, I just purchase things that I think sound good. So the question is how good do they sound with a smaller tube amp, less than 50 watts per channel?

I wonder if they would sound better than the pair of Sansui speakers I am using now.

I don't think there'd ever be a question of which is a better speaker, when Magnificents are in the equation. :yes: I'd be willing to wager they are better than 99.9% of any speaker Sansui ever made. And I've never even seen Magnificents in person, let alone having ever heard any.

How many tube amps are there that put out 50wpc RMS? I'd bet they are few and far between, and expensive as hell.
A quick check on the web shows A7-500 has a sensitivity of 97db @ 1 watt @1 meter. I'm guessing Mags are close.
So with say an EL84 amp with 15 watts at it's disposal , I'd say before it ever reaches half of full tilt you'd be deaf before the amp start to break a sweat. :D
I also just read a spec sheet over at LHF that states A7-500 will handle UP TO 50 watts.
 
Last edited:
A quick check on the web shows A7-500 has a sensitivity of 97db @ 1 watt @1 meter.
it's closer to 103. :yes:

I'd be willing to wager they are better than 99.9% of any speaker Sansui ever made.
Ya gotta be careful. Most of those Japanese companies that are famous for kabuki speakers also produced rare exceptions here and there that are some truly excellent speakers. I think the Sansui's that Ken eludes to are such exceptions.

I also just read a spec sheet over at LHF that states A7-500 will handle UP TO 50 watts.
That's with white noise for hours continuously.:yes:

Mine are usually bi-amped with 250wpc on the LF and 100wpc on the HF of sweet MOSFET power. Probably overkill for 95% of my listening. But, the last thing i want is to get halfway through "Machine Head" and realize i don't have enough power to present it properly.:D:music:
 
Last edited:
it's closer to 103. :yes:

Ya gotta be careful. Most of those Japanese companies that are famous for kabuki speakers also produced rare exceptions here and there that are some truly excellent speakers. I think the Sansui's that Ken eludes to are such exceptions.

I was kinda thinking maybe Ken has a pair that fall into that .1% group, so I left myself that smidge of wiggle room! :naughty:

I also thought that, for VOTT Altecs the 97db rating sounded kinda low, as well.
It just goes to show you can't believe everything you read in old threads on AK.:nono:

Thank you Tom, I stand corrected on both counts! :yes::D
 
Ken you need those. you will find the rest of the brave new world you started to glimpse when you got your first toob amp. You're not going to completely give up your big Infinitys, but you may find yourself culling the herd some....
 
Thank you Tom, I stand corrected on both counts!
That really wasn't my mission. But when i saw that number it triggered an old basic ideal that the K-horn is the only thing that ever gave the A7 VOT a run for it's money in the sensitivity department.
 
Well after getting the tubes and spending some times with the two way horns, I really enjoy them, and I had thought my research for my next speakers were pretty near a decesion along the lines of a pair of Altec Model 14's. I kind of thought they would be a good pick seems like spares are still plentyful, and I am kind of drawn to them.

I am a bit concerned like Audiomagnate as to the rough condition, I don't want a pair with damaged grills that you have to hide with some cloth, but I do like those types of grills, just not ones that have broken wood.

As for my Sansui's, my question was an honest one, since I have not heard any good two way horn loaded Altecs, or JBL's or anything for that matter, and from all my post regarding the Sansui's the only real input regarding them is they are the best that Sansui made, but that certainly doesn't mean they would be near as good as some other two way horns. I really need to get a chance to listen to some other examples I suppose before I just run and jump. I really would rather spend 2 thousand and and have a really clean or mint pair than have a pair of un-repairable crappy looking speakers.

How would they compare to these speakers, the model 14's?

Just this model not this pair as they are two damaged from my likings, and no grills either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ALT...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a7867a543
 
Last edited:
Ken you need those. you will find the rest of the brave new world you started to glimpse when you got your first toob amp. You're not going to completely give up your big Infinitys, but you may find yourself culling the herd some....

Yeah I think you are right about that, I am going to work at moving a few pairs, for sure ones that I have duplicates of. I have altered some plans regarding my other house, seems no one here (wife) seems to think living in a small town in the middle of nowhere sounds like much fun. So I have put my plans with my other house on hold for now, have moved back to my home in Florida (where my wife lives) and went back to work here. My house here is like a closet compared to my other home, so until I make a decsion more speakers are really the last thing I need, unless I move some others out.

I mean, having a big home, with garden, chickens, and maybe a cow or two, and having lots of big rooms for collecting things, doesn't that sound like more fun than living next to the beach, and shopping?
 
Here's my thought.

I am sure my wife kill me if I try to bring these not-so-pretty monsters into a house.

Comparing to Sansui is not fair to Altec because Sui speakers look hundred miles prettier.
And look always comes first in my book.

Speaking of value. Collectible gears take huge downward hit when in damaged & neglected condition, which seems is the case here. Comparing them to value in Mint condition is like apples and oranges.

Being in USA, and in the FL, and local pickup only don't help either. I want to see someone have $1 grand of cash there. Probably not going to happen, as someone already noticed above. USA local values (on highly specific gear) are different from world-wide values, and shipping cost & trouble is the deal breaker. And condition too.
 
Here's my thought.

I am sure my wife kill me if I try to bring these not-so-pretty monsters into a house.

Comparing to Sansui is not fair to Altec because Sui speakers look hundred miles prettier.
And look always comes first in my book.

Speaking of value. Collectible gears take huge downward hit when in damaged & neglected condition, which seems is the case here. Comparing them to value in Mint condition is like apples and oranges.

Being in USA, and in the FL, and local pickup only don't help either. I want to see someone have $1 grand of cash there. Probably not going to happen, as someone already noticed above. USA local values (on highly specific gear) are different from world-wide values, and shipping cost & trouble is the deal breaker. And condition too.

Ummm, WOW !!!
 
Here's my thought.

I am sure my wife kill me if I try to bring these not-so-pretty monsters into a house.

Comparing to Sansui is not fair to Altec because Sui speakers look hundred miles prettier.
And look always comes first in my book.

Speaking of value. Collectible gears take huge downward hit when in damaged & neglected condition, which seems is the case here. Comparing them to value in Mint condition is like apples and oranges.

Being in USA, and in the FL, and local pickup only don't help either. I want to see someone have $1 grand of cash there. Probably not going to happen, as someone already noticed above. USA local values (on highly specific gear) are different from world-wide values, and shipping cost & trouble is the deal breaker. And condition too.

Seriously? You obviously don't know Altecs! And these are one of the rarest models. Condition is important most of the time but not as much here. Now if the price were 3K, I'd be doubtful they'd sell due to their present condition but $900 opener- no brainer. If I were closer, I'd try to snag em. I know how to repair the grills.
 
Last edited:
Amazing how everyone is debating if these are worth the price.. If they would have been around here, I wouldn't have even asked.. They'd be in the back of my truck now for that price...

I guess a person needs to hear something like these to get any understanding of what these speakers really are, and what they are capable of...
 
Amazing how everyone is debating if these are worth the price.. If they would have been around here, I wouldn't have even asked.. They'd be in the back of my truck now for that price...

I guess a person needs to hear something like these to get any understanding of what these speakers really are, and what they are capable of...

Absolutey, I agree. As I am finding out from a couple of my friends I am hooking up with systems, it is apparent many judge a book by the cover and miss the whole story. Shame.
 
Here's my thought.


Comparing to Sansui is not fair to Altec because Sui speakers look hundred miles prettier.
And look always comes first in my book.

:scratch2:

Yeah,that big ol' Altec stuff is U-G-L-Y !!!....:D

picture.php


picture.php
 
Last edited:
People seem to forget that these speakers fetch that kind of price say in South Korea. In the USA, let alone flordia...finding a buyer who will pay that, is near impossible. Finding the buyer is one thing, getting the buyer to pay the funds is another. Most of your buyers will come to your home, and the argue and scream about the price. Also the condition is an issue with these. I sold a pair of L50 JBL's the other day for 100$...thought it was fair seeing I was asking 200$....the buyer started going pshyco about the woofers needing foam...and it was stated more then once in the ad.

Here's my thought.

I am sure my wife kill me if I try to bring these not-so-pretty monsters into a house.

Comparing to Sansui is not fair to Altec because Sui speakers look hundred miles prettier.
And look always comes first in my book.

Speaking of value. Collectible gears take huge downward hit when in damaged & neglected condition, which seems is the case here. Comparing them to value in Mint condition is like apples and oranges.

Being in USA, and in the FL, and local pickup only don't help either. I want to see someone have $1 grand of cash there. Probably not going to happen, as someone already noticed above. USA local values (on highly specific gear) are different from world-wide values, and shipping cost & trouble is the deal breaker. And condition too.

Gentlemen, the components inside the cabinets are worth more than the asking price.
 
Gentlemen, the components inside the cabinets are worth more than the asking price.

Ken "where art thow"

Of course there is still the matter of driver condition and what they actually end up going for.
 
Back
Top Bottom