• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Another Super High End Phono Stage! No expense spared...

If someone is looking for CNC PCBs, please PM me.

I helped a non-AK member get a pair of CNC PCBs from Sachin's first group buy,
but he changed his mind about building them.
He would like to let them go as a pair only and will ship fast from the US.
 
@grundigger

This thread has morphed into the CNC moving magnet phono stage and the SSP preamp thread. . . . [

It was a MM Phono Stage to begin with. Somewhere in the first 10 pages (who knows where) the design was named CNC, for Charlotte NC, where fasterdamnit and BigBill live. They were the guys who cooked up the first circuits. (fasterdamnit was working here and I got to hear one of the first ones and swallowed the bait. I have built 5... so far.)
 
I just got mine hooked up and I gotta say WOW. Now all I have to compare it to is the Behringer pre I picked up when I first got the turntable. It's like a whole new system, having worked in pro audio and done a little work in the studio I know the value of a good pre, but I am still blown away by how big a difference it makes. Bass is better defined and there seems like there is more space in the mids and top end, I can pick out every instrument and hear where it is coming from not just that it is there.

I'm finding that I actually like my cart (Super OM-10 on a Dual 505-2) at the 68k setting more than the recommended 47K. It's nice to be able to play with the settings.
 
It was a MM Phono Stage to begin with. Somewhere in the first 10 pages (who knows where) the design was named CNC, for Charlotte NC, where fasterdamnit and BigBill live. They were the guys who cooked up the first circuits. (fasterdamnit was working here and I got to hear one of the first ones and swallowed the bait. I have built 5... so far.)

Wow! Watch Grainger go! :thmbsp:

I just got mine hooked up and I gotta say WOW. Now all I have to compare it to is the Behringer pre I picked up when I first got the turntable. It's like a whole new system, having worked in pro audio and done a little work in the studio I know the value of a good pre, but I am still blown away by how big a difference it makes. Bass is better defined and there seems like there is more space in the mids and top end, I can pick out every instrument and hear where it is coming from not just that it is there.

I'm finding that I actually like my cart (Super OM-10 on a Dual 505-2) at the 68k setting more than the recommended 47K. It's nice to be able to play with the settings.

Now that is a gratifying response, thanks!

To everyone that has contributed and built this little pre-amp, BRAVO! :guitar:

Spread the word!
 
A refresh-

How my CNC built from a Hypnotoad PCB ended up-

CNCsilver1.jpg


CNCphonoprecomplete002.jpg


CNCphonoprecomplete.jpg
 
Got my PCB from Sachin earlier this week and I knew my parts were coming in today so I brought my soldering station to work to give me something to do over lunch.
Nice build,
BTW did you solder that red colored caps at input loading? What's that values? Many are happy without that. My cart needs 250pF loading capacitance. So tried many and 56pF was okay to make RCA+tonearm wire capacitance to 250pF. There it sounded better for my setup.

Wow! Watch Grainger go! :thmbsp:
Now that is a gratifying response, thanks!
To everyone that has contributed and built this little pre-amp, BRAVO! :guitar:
Spread the word!

That's all worth of it. Thanks!
 
Nice build,
BTW did you solder that red colored caps at input loading? What's that values? Many are happy without that. My cart needs 250pF loading capacitance. So tried many and 56pF was okay to make RCA+tonearm wire capacitance to 250pF. There it sounded better for my setup.

Yeah, That was the one mistake I seem to have made. They are gone, and were the wrong value. I got confused because I ordered some caps to replace those in my TT at the same time and I was having trouble finding the 10pf caps in the parts I ordered (of course I had read that they were not included in the BOM, but did that matter at the time?). I ended up putting .01uF caps in there instead of .00001uF, it did not sound good. Pulled them out and it was perfect lol. fortunately I left the leads long on those so I can still use them.
 
Has anyone done any comparisons with the CNC MM against something like the DB Systems MM phonostage? VSPS? And other respected budget designs?
 
Has anyone done any comparisons with the CNC MM against something like the DB Systems MM phonostage? VSPS? And other respected budget designs?

I have compared it with my Technics SU8022 inbuilt phono input and CA Azur 640P and I found it much better than both.

Regards,
Sachin
 
This thread coming back up made me get off my butt and order the parts for the board I got from Sachin. I went to Digikey to order the parts from the BOM that HT put up and found that many of the resistors are not available. The recommended replacements are listed as axial. Will these work?
 
This thread coming back up made me get off my butt and order the parts for the board I got from Sachin. I went to Digikey to order the parts from the BOM that HT put up and found that many of the resistors are not available. The recommended replacements are listed as axial. Will these work?

Can you enlist what are you getting replacement? Maybe people can help.
 
I had a similar problem when I ordered. I called them and the woman assisting me making the order mentioned that several of the parts were "obsoleted" meaning they didn't stock them anymore.

BTW, I asked a few orders back about the "ND" at the end of every part number. It originally meant that the item had No Discount.
 
Can you enlist what are you getting replacement? Maybe people can help.

I did a little more research and went ahead and ordered with the parts they said would sub. I guess I'll find out when they arrive if they will work. Looks like they should.
 
You are good. The resistance or capacitance value is most important. The second most important thing is the tolerance, 1%, 0.1% etc.
 
Back
Top Bottom