• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Another Super High End Phono Stage! No expense spared...

Stupid question. I am getting close and may get this thing fired up today. Does it matter which way the op amps go in the socket?
 
Stupid question. I am getting close and may get this thing fired up today. Does it matter which way the op amps go in the socket?

YES!!!

Put them in backwards and they will be cooked. The notch in the socket needs to match the notch in the op-amp. :thmbsp:
 
Thanks! Looks like I get to practice desoldering. I had completely missed the notches on the sockets and the boards and they are both in backwards. Might have been a stupid question, but one worth asking. Gotta learn some how.
 
Thanks! Looks like I get to practice desoldering. I had completely missed the notches on the sockets and the boards and they are both in backwards. Might have been a stupid question, but one worth asking. Gotta learn some how.

Only stupid if it isn't asked. Good catch! I have fried my share of chips plugging them in backwards. :yes:
 
Thanks for the quick response Faster. I had the board all populated and was getting the power and in and out ready to finish up when I got to thinking about the op amps. Didn't seem right that they would be able to go either way.

I guess it wasn't a stupid question, just seemed like it at the time. I always tell our customers that the only stupid questions are the ones they don't ask.
 
Thanks for the quick response Faster. I had the board all populated and was getting the power and in and out ready to finish up when I got to thinking about the op amps. Didn't seem right that they would be able to go either way.

I guess it wasn't a stupid question, just seemed like it at the time. I always tell our customers that the only stupid questions are the ones they don't ask.

No sweat.

It is always a good idea to power up the board with no chips in and check for +/- power at the sockets.

374874868AD827_fbl_01.gif
 
I received my Super OM10 cart from Needledoctor.Great advise from David(dlaloum) I have mounted it on ultra low mass arm of my Micro Seiki,set loading to 62k CNC.Its sounding great,better than M55e.

Regards,
Sachin
 
I received my Super OM10 cart from Needledoctor.Great advise from David(dlaloum) I have mounted it on ultra low mass arm of my Micro Seiki,set loading to 62k CNC.Its sounding great,better than M55e.

Regards,
Sachin

I was running that same cart with the 62K loading and it sounded great, in fact I'm going to put it back on because I like it better than the AT12Sa I've been trying.
 
I got the CNC together and in the system singing on Mon eve. OK, I know the TC750?? pre I have been using is not top shelf stuff but it has bested several onboard pre's I have put it up against.

After about 2-3 hours of listening to the CNC all I can say is HOLY SHEET! The difference is not subtle. Bigger, thicker sound all around. Smoother with more detail especially in the mids. I'm using less attenuation of the frequencies that bother my ears because they are so much smoother. More space around each instrument. I could go on. BTW I am using the opa2134 chips now and have the ad823 to try also.

Another big thanks to all who have made my mid life crisis back into audio so much fun. If I didn't dislike that stupid dancing banana so much I'd stick one in here. :D
 
It's a great feeling!!!

Please post your impressions of the AD823, and any other combo of opamps you try. See if you agree with posts in the opamp rolling thread.

Enjoy - - -
.
 
When all is said and done, what opamp was chosen for this super preamp? the LME49720?
And would the chosen circuit be the one in the 1st post with the 49720?
Any changes to it?
Could I just buy all the parts in the schematic and be good to go?
 
Go to page 53 of this thread. Post #791 has links to significant info within the thread. Post #795 has links to several related threads.

The last thread listed contains info about different combos of opamps that members have tried in their CNC, and their impressions and discussions. Should you decide to build one, please post your impressions of any "opamp rolling" that you may try.

The CNC, SSP and OPS are all good projects, well worth the time & effort, and quite rewarding. You really should make a concerted effort to read the thread & take advantage of all the discussions.

Enjoy - - -
.
 
A friend of mine recently heard my CNC and asked if I could build one for him as well. I told him no problem if I can get another board or two.

Are there anymore boards available? PM me with info.
 
Hmmmm. Based on comments from Sachin and Omishra about their impressions of the LDR, I am thinking of adding one of these to the fray instead of a gargantuan 24 step attenuator. I think that would give me a CNC & SSP & OPS & LDR, which is more letters than my brother has after his name!

The right channel in my system is a little louder, as measured from a 1kHz tone from a test record. It is not a lot, but is noticeable, and just bugs me. Sounds like I could use the trimmers on the LDR board to balance the channels to my current setup. Balance would need to be re-evaluated if I change the phono cartridge, or other major components.
.
 
Here is my project

Hi to all. I have spent weeks ready several posts regarding these projects and I want to thank Sachin, Omishra and many others here for providing such a valuable wealth of information on the various projects such as SSP, CNC, LDR, PSU and PASS B1. I am going to attempt to upload some of the pictures with the new enclosure that arrived today. I am debating whether to use the SSP or the PASS B1. The LDR and PSU board are on their way so you won't see them in the pictures. Also here is the 6 Position Switch as well. Here I go.
 

Attachments

  • Audio Project 042.jpg
    Audio Project 042.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 111
  • Audio Project 044.jpg
    Audio Project 044.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 155
  • Audio Project 050.jpg
    Audio Project 050.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 125
  • Audio Project 045.jpg
    Audio Project 045.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 145
Back
Top Bottom