• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Any "covers" ever better than the originals?

Not really a cover per se, but "Lucille Has Messed My Mind Up" written by Frank Zappa, under the pseudonym LaMarr Bruister, for Jeff Simmons album of the same name.

Zappa recorded it for "Joe's Garage" with Ike Willis handling the vocals. A much better version in my humble opinion.
 
I am a huge fan of Billy Grammer's original version of "Gotta Travel On," but I think I love Bill Monroe's cover better and Dylan's cover best of all.

Oh, and I could listen to Jimmy Dale Gilmore's cover all day long. At lot of people have made that song their own.


 
Last edited:
A recent favorite of mine:

Matthew Dear (ft Tegan & Sara)'s cover of Tears for Fears' "Pale Shelter". Absolutely captivating. Check it out
 
As much as I appreciate Neil Young for writing such a tune and his outstanding guitar work on said tune I still like this version.

Carrie Rodriguez & Tim Easton ~ Cortez The Killer

 

It's better than the original and should get bonus points for being one of the funniest covers too. Folks, it's a cover of Dr. Dre, you are forewarned.
 
I like this version better.

[/QUOTE]

Nice! Maybe we should start a cover of a cover thread. However, I think the original cover by Folds cuts like a razor through all the macho posturing, the false bravado, the sheer misogyny of the song straight to the heart of the sadness and hurt of a deeply sensitive soul like no other. :biggrin:
 
Back
Top Bottom