• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ANy info on Parallax Speakers

Register to hide this ad
Parallax

Blurghy,

ParallaxTM is the name I have registered for my own company which will initially being offering speakers and amplifiers under this marque. I own the domain parallaxaudio.com
I only chose this name after much research which led me to believe that it was unused.

Are you saying that the name Parallax has been used in the past by a loudspeaker manufacturer other than by myself?

I have no vintage loudspeakers out there BTW. When you do run across any, they will be very, very good! ;)

I hope you are mistaken and meant Paraclipse or Paradyme, or some other!
 
Last edited:
Manufacturer Item Type Model Year Description
PARALLAX SPK 1220 1977
PARALLAX SPK 1720 1977
PARALLAX SPK 2230 1977
PARALLAX SPK 2435 1977
PARALLAX SPK 2841 1977
PARALLAX SPK 2841-B 1977
PARALLAX SPK 2941 1977
PARALLAX SPK 2947 1977
PARALLAX SPK 3730 1977
PARALLAX SPK 3755 1977
PARALLAX SPK 911-B 1977

Rob this page is from the 2003 Orion Audio Guide. Seems Parallax didn't last too long.

Mike
 
Thanx Mike! That is a lot of models to release in one year. I'll bet they folded because they spread themselves too thin that way. Perhaps their QC was so bad they had to name each speaker that came off the line differently! I'd sooner concentrate on doing one or three things very, very well. :D
 
Alan,

You a funny guy!

Greg,

You shall soon be able to adjust ParallaxTM with a volume control!
 
And if you use the TOTL PARALLAXtm SET amp you can adjust them with a knob personally polished by Rob himself!


Sorry Rob, I just can't stop myself.:wave:
 
I closed one eye, but ended up with a pair anyway.
A buddy just gave them to me, after they had been in a storage shed for a while. As I suspected, my finger went right thru the surrounds, which looked good but were shot.
They are the 2941s. I don't know that they are worth the trouble of replacing the surrounds on, but I'll make that decision after listening to them
and seeing if the other five paper drivers are good in each one.
And as for knobs, they have two each, treble and mid, in each speaker.
Yes, I realize you guys were just pullling each others, uh, chains, long ago when this thread appeared.
 
Wow! Parallax.

Since getting into vintage audio, I was wondering how long until I heard of a pair of Parallax.

My brother had them in his bedroom. I had Realistic Nova's 10's, followed by Optimus towers. The Parallax were 12.00 3-ways, paper cones all-around. They were pretty bad, we still joke about them today. A real low-dollar attempt at the popular design and look of the day.

He picked them up for about $150.00 pair at a low-end discount store in Ohio called "Fisher's Big Wheel". That about says it all.

jocko
 
I used to own a pair of Parallax speakers that I bought new (demos, actually) in the late 70's or early 80's. I don't remember the model number, but they were a three way, four driver system with circuit breakers and a 15" woofer. As a poor man's hard rock/rap (before there was rap) speaker, they were okay, but they were cheap and you could tell from the look as well as the sound. For the money, they were good at hard rock, but they were not good in absolute terms, even for hard rock. Now, I have no idea if the company made good speakers in its past or not, but the ones I had would not be worth getting, unless you got them real cheap and could not afford anything better, and your main interest was hard rock/rap.

On a side note, my demo pair cost me about $100, and about a year later I was able to sell them for what I paid for them. So, I cannot complain about my experience with them. I am certainly glad I can afford better now.
 
I too remember Parallax. They were my buddys main speakers in the early 80's. Bought them at Howards Discout city in Greeneville TN in 81 or so. After a while we cut the baffle out and mouted them where the rear seat used to be in his 66 impala. That, a Sonic Audio 250 watt power booster/eq and an 8 track tape machine playing Edgar Winters "Frankenstein" and old Black Sabbath...boy them was the days

Tig
 
Parrallax speakers were manufactured by Wood Speciality Products, Inc., P.O. Box 344, 1501 Vine, Harrisonville, Missouri 64701. My first set of speakers were model #2941 40 watts and I enjoyed them simply becaue I did not know any better. They are heavy and rare and may be worth $_ _ _ _ _ _ in the furure!
 
Sorry to bring up an old topic. My brother just gave me a pair of #1220's a few months back. I have them hooked up to my Yamaha MX-1000 and they sound ok. I could blow them up in a heart beat as they are only rated at 50 watts. They are in good shape though.
 
Parallax speakers

@SFC_K - If the ones that you tried and were concerned about blowing them up - they should have a circuit breaker next to the knobs for the High and Mid Range levels (at least mine did - they were the 12" ones). I am sure this saved them many times!
 
Back
Top Bottom