• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Any Vintage Noresco Speaker Owners??

Looks like the phenolic dome Foster tweeter found in various Zenith Allegro cabs, I have a pair myself.

Interesting frames on these woofers, you can see the spot-welds on the axial supports.

I've had a good luck streak for vintage fullrange drivers last fall: Philips AD7060 (in Noresco), Philips AD9710 and Richard Allan CG10T (both in shoddy homemade cabs). Not seen anything good since, but I keep lookin'!

az
 
I actually have a couple of pairs now. I made a trade for a pair of Noresco's, and recently in thrift shop found a pair of small Isophon 10 watt units. They sound pretty nice, not really made for any kind of bass though. I'm a bit confused though as none of them have model numbers on them. The fronts of both the Noresco and Isophon look the same. Noresco renamed the Isophon units?

The cabs are hurting though, I have to redo both pairs. I might have to finally invest in a palm sander.
 
Some of the later models in a nice teak cabinet had reasonably good NEC 8 inch full range drivers in them but the earlier ones with the European drivers are really good.
 
I just got some Noresco NEC-562's. These speakers are total sleepers. Not worth more than $20 and sound amazing. They have a 5x7 fullrange driver and and 8" woofer. They do everything well, tight bass, good separation, tone, dynamics, big soundstage, etc. Way better than expected...
 
Isophon Noresco..

The last pair of Noresco's I bought contained the Isophon 8"x12" PH2132E coaxial drivers. The bass reflex enclosures were a terrible alignment for this high Qt driver and sounded much better with their backs off.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=496625

Audiozaz....I have had a few of the large Isophones.....I sold 3 pairs to Dr Hsu....from S. Korea....he's the owner of Hsu Audio,from Los Angelos...they were going for 2-3 hundred on the average... I still have a pair stashed away...that I found for 12 bucks...
 
Some of the later Noresco's with 8" woofer...had cheaper woofers ...with rotted foam surounds + paper tweeters.....I was disapointed when I opened them up.....you can't see through the thick grill clothes...even with a flashlight on some!
 
i just picked up a pair today at gw and was wondering how you tell the model number? My speaker cabinet is about 11 x 18 x 6". There is a 5"? and a tweet..

i opened it and found these numbers on the speaker:

10F3 Foster 3W

AD 3701 SM 07-66-AH

hooked them up to my little yamaha rx and they sound very nice..
 
I have picked up a pair of Noresco 5660 speakers and wondered if anybody knows anything about them. I have not opened them up yet but they look to have a 10 inch isophon woofer with 2 piezo tweeters with a knob on back to control tweeters range
 
Boy, I am gonna' have to keep an eye out for those. Being a Dual fan, I was aware of them being the Canadian distributor (as United Audio was to the US), but it sounds like the old speakers with alnico magnets were voiced right up my alley. Interesting that Dr. Hsu (of Hsu subwoofer fame) is so into them. I like those Philips drivers, and I also like some of the german drivers (I don't dig German tubes though... Too-analytical for my tastes). Being a fan of brands like Wharfedale, University, Leak, Goodmans, ADS, etc., the Noresco models seem like a no-brainer.

Sorry, coldex... Didn't want to gloss past your post... Hopefully one of the Noresco 5 will have an answer for you (Those would be the 5 AK'ers who know anything about these things... I wish I had known years ago... I've seen their stuff before).
 
I love these Noresco's.

527008-vintage_noresco_nec594_floor_standing_speakers_truly_awesome.jpg
 
I know this thread is old but .... I recently acquired another different Noresco speaker model NEC-574. I can find no reference to this model online.
It's 3-way acoustic suspension bookshelf with a Foster tweeter, ~6 inch AlNiCo widrange, and a 10 inch AlNiCo woofer.
Even without the caps replaced they sound very good but are quite inefficient. The grill is unusual with an aluminum frame and a bar at the front.

P1160792.JPG
P1160793.JPG
P1160791.JPG
 
Noresco 5870 front.jpg Noresco 5870 back bottom.jpg

Would love to find out more info on the Noresco 5870 speakers. Such an unusual looking speaker (to me, anyway) - 33.5" tall, pyramid shaped. I have a pair and they sound great to me. Picked them up for $100 canadian last year.

I'm interested in knowing how well-regarded they are, sensitivity, history, original price, anything really. I've been searching high and low on the net since I got them and I'm coming up empty. I bought them purely based on looks (and weight!). I figured $100 was a small risk. I'm not very well versed at all in audio, so just looking at the insides and such, doesn't mean a ton to me. The two woofers facing each other on the inside is a real head scratcher.

Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

Cheers
 
In a parking lot i found a set of Noresco NEC-575's Sadly everything except the tweeters and crossovers were there. the woofers were destroyed and the mid-ranges were replaced with audio sphere 6 1/2 woofers. The response graph is the reading I took from the tweeter.
thumbnail_20171226_212131.jpg thumbnail_20171226_212242.jpg Tweeter.png thumbnail_20171226_184110.jpg

thumbnail_20171226_212201.jpg thumbnail_20171226_214041.jpg
 

Attachments

  • thumbnail_20171226_184110.jpg
    thumbnail_20171226_184110.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 4
  • thumbnail_20171226_212201.jpg
    thumbnail_20171226_212201.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 5
  • thumbnail_20171226_214041.jpg
    thumbnail_20171226_214041.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 4
  • thumbnail_20171226_184110.jpg
    thumbnail_20171226_184110.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 5
I love these Noresco's.

527008-vintage_noresco_nec594_floor_standing_speakers_truly_awesome.jpg

Very Glad I found this thread about Noresco Canadian Made speakers. I have the exact same one as these here and they are one of my favorite vintage canadian made speakers. I alwasy go back to them and are connected in my living always aside my Energy Conoisseur (canadian famous ) & Ditton 66 MKIII but indeed these babies have serious construction, real wood, and components are top notch.

As many are saying, if you find some Noresco speakers, grab them, you won't be disappoint at all ;-)
 
Hi. I recently got hold of a pair of Noresco 531/8 speakers. I was wondering if anyone can help me out determine which the positive speaker terminal is. One of the terminals has an x on it as shown in the photos. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • DE2A09B7-1827-4C8E-AABE-7EE2F386894B.jpeg
    DE2A09B7-1827-4C8E-AABE-7EE2F386894B.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 918DA907-F77B-4948-9483-DD28880E10E3.jpeg
    918DA907-F77B-4948-9483-DD28880E10E3.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 14
Back
Top Bottom